Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a YSR I'm going to buy and it only comes with a bill of sale. How do I go about getting the thing titled in the state of KY? Or any state for that matter?

Is there a way?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 1988 YSR...I don't think it has a loan on it.

Maybe a title was never given for the bike...it's been used by wera racers as a pit bike for a number of years now.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dont think so....might be stolen so be careful
Called my state DOT and I'm having the bike ran through NCIS, if it's stolen I'll know.

Ex-WERA racer said as far as he knew the bike has never had a title, had a friend who was state police run the VIN before he bought it to make sure it wasen't stolen.

·
Registered
314 Posts
In New Jersey this would be painful. You would have to locate the last person the bike was titled with and hope they are willing to go with you to the DMV to get a replacement title issued.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
in california, there is a form that just needs to fill out. you'd do a tsf w/o title and request the title be reissued in your name. not sure about KY, but i'd check with your dmv.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My local County Clerk seemed confused about the situation at first, then switched and went with the "There's nothing you can do" attitude firmly.

Probably too lazy to do her job, so I got the number for the state DMV from her.

I'm waiting for a call back after running the VIN through (NCIS)??.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why do you need a title? Are you putting it back on the road?

Yeah, I've been pulled over on my CRF50 too many times and they keep complaining that it's loud and a nuisance.

(Wonder what they'll think of the 2-stroke....:icon_lol:)

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you think that that would work. Seeing as how I have not lost the title, but was never issued a title in the first place?

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
Do you think that that would work. Seeing as how I have not lost the title, but was never issued a title in the first place?
it's similar to the CA form we use. the previous owner just fills it out as if they lost it and check the boxes for duplicate title and transfer.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it's similar to the CA form we use. the previous owner just fills it out as if they lost it and check the boxes for duplicate title and transfer.

The previous owner bought the bike with a bill of sale only. as did the owner before him.

Who knows who the last owner that had the title is. Or why they woudln't give the title upon sell....

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm hoping not, I'm trying to get the bike for about $500.

Hopefully all I'll have to pay is sales tax and an inspection.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
You may consider going with a bonded title. A google search will help here. They charge for their expertise, however.

My bike has a bonded title, there are a bunch of sites that charge for the service, some, up to 1k to get you a title in like a week.

Personally, I just did it myself, you just have to find a bondiong company and they will charge you like 100 dollars to bond your title. THey'll give you all the forms and all you need is proof that you lawfully bought it and didn't steal it. If it is infact stolen and the title bonding company issues a bond, they will be responsible and either you, or the rightful owner will make out with a load of cash, the state value for the bike. The other will get the bike.

But yeah they have to check all available records to make sure it was last registered with a clean title and has no theft history. You can get your tag instantly but the title can take up to one month to reach your mailbox.

Not a bad way to go, for example, if the title was lost in another state.

Oh, and you might want to get the VIN number and check on the state DMV website to make sure it wasn't stolen. It can also tell you if it has a clean title, depending on the state

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
If bikes are like cars, someone, somewhere has the certificate of origin. If the bike was ever registered, the state DMV that the bike was first registered in has it, otherwise one of the previous owners has it. If one of the previous owners has it, then you need it to get it titled.

If you're not going to get plates for it, and you're only going to ride it on private land, then you don't need to register it, I don't think.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts