Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys so I have an 04 cbr600rr with 18k Miles. I don't pay attention to my fuel gauge since the float is stuck (long story, short, even after readjusting it, it would remain stuck). So it only reads for 4 bars and up, below that and it won't read.

I've only gone 75 miles since the last full tank and i'm a bit more then 3/4s down the tank. so I'm left with around 25% gas or less. I do regular commuting below 5k RPM. Before this occured luckily I checked how many miles I could go before the bike died, and it went 180 miles.

What can cause bad Gas mileage?

Spark Plugs: I'm sure they haven't been changed, i'm waiting on my wrench plug to come in so i could change it next week.

Air Filter: Still has stock air filter... I'm assuming its never been changed, I put it against the light and couldn't see anything through it.

Recent modifications/ changes: Jardine RT-One exhaust. It used to have a custom exhaust but it was basically straight pipe (literally).
Oil Change a few miles ago.
Coolant changed months ago before I noticed bad gas mileage.

Leaks: I haven't seen any leaks, I've gone under the tank to see if there is any build up and couldn't find any.

Fuel Tank: Completely clean, not rusted at all. (I did use at least 3 different gas companies before letting it die completely... If it's an issue...)

There is no smoke what's so ever at all.

WHAT COULD IT BE? :frown2:
Air filter? Spark Plug? Faulty ECM? Faulty Pump? Dirty Injectors? Leaks?
I know those are causes, but could you guys help me pin point? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
That's probably what I would get too (about 290km). I fill up with the last bar flashing, put in 13L and it is around 220km (136mi).

I'm running -1/+2 520 conversion.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's probably what I would get too (about 290km). I fill up with the last bar flashing, put in 13L and it is around 220km (136mi).

I'm running -1/+2 520 conversion.

I'm on stock, but why did I get better gas mileage before??? I'm running almost 100 on a full tank.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
This probably won't be the main cause but check your brake calipers. Make sure the Pistons aren't completely gunked up causing them to drag on the rotors. If so, clean/rebuild them

·
Registered
479 Posts
If the float is stuck or not reading correctly, than how do you know you are getting bad gas mileage? You should do another "run the bike out of gas test" and see how far that gets you. I have found out through my experience that the gas gauge isn't super accurate to begin with.

Maybe your "problem" only occurred after you fiddled with the float. Maybe now it is reading differently and therefore there really is no problem with your mileage.

Lastly, if you are experiencing winter weather than mileage always goes down due to many rumored reasons. A factual reason would be that there is more wind drag due to denser air. A rumored reason would be that gas companies put more **** into their gas than usual.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Fill it all the way to the top and run it all the way dry before trying to decide if your mileage is off.

Estimating what is left in the tank is a wild goose chase waiting to happen.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the float is stuck or not reading correctly, than how do you know you are getting bad gas mileage? You should do another "run the bike out of gas test" and see how far that gets you. I have found out through my experience that the gas gauge isn't super accurate to begin with.

Maybe your "problem" only occurred after you fiddled with the float. Maybe now it is reading differently and therefore there really is no problem with your mileage.

Lastly, if you are experiencing winter weather than mileage always goes down due to many rumored reasons. A factual reason would be that there is more wind drag due to denser air. A rumored reason would be that gas companies put more **** into their gas than usual.
I clearly stated by miles how low I am on the gas tank. I did not say I was going by how many bars my bike is showing. I physically looked at my tank. As I said before this occurred I got 180 miles (yes with the run out of gas test). However all of a sudden it's 100 miles, with the same riding style.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
I clearly stated by miles how low I am on the gas tank. I did not say I was going by how many bars my bike is showing. I physically looked at my tank. As I said before this occurred I got 180 miles (yes with the run out of gas test). However all of a sudden it's 100 miles, with the same riding style.
You got 100 miles out of a full tank? Was there anything changed on the bike since you got 180miles/tank?

Something is way off if you're only getting 100miles per full tank.

·
Registered
966 Posts
A rumored reason would be that gas companies put more **** into their gas than usual.
What rumors are you talking about? There are facts, like there is more ethonal in the gas in the winter for emissions. Its stated on the gas pumps with big signs, nothing rumor there.
You also have the engines revving much higher and for longer to warm up the engine quicker while at idle, this uses fuel.
Forget the air density causing more drag, it is adding more oxygen to the cylinder charge also causing more fuel to be added to keep the a/f ratio the same.
These all add up to less mileage in the winter.

I don't suggest running the bike out of gas. Pumps use the fuel to cool them, running them dry tends to kill them. Its much easier to fill up, drive 50 miles, then fill up at the same pump and see how much gas you put in and divide to get your answer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You got 100 miles out of a full tank? Was there anything changed on the bike since you got 180miles/tank?

Something is way off if you're only getting 100miles per full tank.
I can tell you Spark Plug has been over due and air filter... can't see a light through. You think replacing plugs and air filter will do the trick? I already have the spark plugs, just waiting on my tool.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The bolded statement quoted above, is what I was asking about. Perform the "run out of gas test" again. Physically looking into the tank and estimating how much gas you have left won't give you a good comparison.

·
Registered
479 Posts
What rumors are you talking about? There are facts, like there is more ethonal in the gas in the winter for emissions. Its stated on the gas pumps with big signs, nothing rumor there.
You also have the engines revving much higher and for longer to warm up the engine quicker while at idle, this uses fuel.
Forget the air density causing more drag, it is adding more oxygen to the cylinder charge also causing more fuel to be added to keep the a/f ratio the same.

I don't suggest running the bike out of gas. Pumps use the fuel to cool them, running them dry tends to kill them. Its much easier to fill up, drive 50 miles, then fill up at the same pump and see how much gas you put in and divide to get your answer.
I have never seen a sign stating that there is more ethanol during the winter, however, I have seen signs stating "Containing up to 10% Ethanol".

The high idle duration during the winter and summer are comparable within a few minutes. Air density/drag is 10 times more of a factor than more fuel being burned. More fuel being burned means more power and more power at the same rpm means you don't have to add throttle to get to a higher rpm, to get to a certain amount of power, to overcome a uphill gradient (for example). There is more parasitic loss of power at higher rpms therefore more power at the same rpm increases your mpg, as long as you are making use of that power. This is one major reason why the new corvette is able to achieve 30 mpg on the highway yet it makes 450 horsepower.

Remember air density/drag is not only affecting your outside drag coefficient but also it is affecting the drag coefficient within your intake.

Fuel pumps use fuel for "lubrication" not for cooling lol. I am just poking fun >:)

You can use the drive and fill up method rather than the "run out of gas method" for the safety of your fuel pump however remember you must fill up to the EXACT same location as before. That means you have to consider how much your bike is leaning over when you fill up before the test and after the test. Also the more gas you have to fill up, the more accurate your mpg results will be. So I recommend at least using 3/4 of the tank.

·
Registered
479 Posts

I have never seen a sign stating that there is more ethanol during the winter, however, I have seen signs stating "Containing up to 10% Ethanol".

The high idle duration during the winter and summer are comparable within a few minutes. Air density/drag is 10 times more of a factor than more fuel being burned. More fuel being burned means more power and more power at the same rpm means you don't have to add throttle to get to a higher rpm, to get to a certain amount of power, to overcome a uphill gradient (for example). There is more parasitic loss of power at higher rpms therefore more power at the same rpm increases your mpg, as long as you are making use of that power. This is one major reason why the new corvette is able to achieve 30 mpg on the highway yet it makes 450 horsepower.

Remember air density/drag is not only affecting your outside drag coefficient but also it is affecting the drag coefficient within your intake.

Fuel pumps use fuel for "lubrication" not for cooling lol. I am just poking fun >:)

You can use the drive and fill up method rather than the "run out of gas method" for the safety of your fuel pump however remember you must fill up to the EXACT same location as before. That means you have to consider how much your bike is leaning over when you fill up before the test and after the test. Also the more gas you have to fill up, the more accurate your mpg results will be. So I recommend at least using 3/4 of the tank.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
That means you have to consider how much your bike is leaning over when you fill up before the test and after the test. Also the more gas you have to fill up, the more accurate your mpg results will be. So I recommend at least using 3/4 of the tank.
I use Fuelly to log my fuel ups, works a treat. Never try and run under 1/4 in anybof my vehicles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I feel like you guys are just trying to tease me lol, yes I do check the tank every single time ONLY when it's standing up straight!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is a picture of my spark plugs I changed them last night, you guys think this was the main cause lol, looks long overdue
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
479 Posts
I feel like you guys are just trying to tease me lol, yes I do check the tank every single time ONLY when it's standing up straight!
I believe you are misreading what I am saying. In general what I am aiming at is that you can't accurately compare your previous "run out of gas results" to your current by eye 1/4 gas results due to so many factors (that were state above). There is a possibly you have no problem and you are simply being too sensitive.

Also, when taking a picture of your spark plugs, take a picture of the tips. The condition of everything else is not as important. At this point, I would replace the spark plugs since you already have the bike apart.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I believe you are misreading what I am saying. In general what I am aiming at is that you can't accurately compare your previous "run out of gas results" to your current by eye 1/4 gas results due to so many factors (that were state above). There is a possibly you have no problem and you are simply being too sensitive.

Also, when taking a picture of your spark plugs, take a picture of the tips. The condition of everything is not as important. At this point, I would replace the spark plugs since you already have the bike apart.
Sorry buddy, got kind of confused on what you were saying lol, but I replaced the spark plugs last night, here is a picture of it

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
No, the plugs are/were not the issue.

Reactions: dixon cider

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, the plugs are/were not the issue.
Please elaborate. The plugs are well overdue and with the new plugs it does feel a bit better. Can it be dirty air filter? I checked it and can barely see a light through it, i'm going to replace it soon.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts