Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've seen a lot of riders getting shoddy work done by so called machanics lately and my advice is do it yourself and if you don't know how, learn. It will save you everything, money and not being pissed off are the top two reasons. You're going to have to redo it anyway when the guy f*cks it up. And that's if you even notice that it was done wrong.

Do research, learn how, buy tools, do it, feel good about yourself and your accomplishments.

Since I bought my bike, I have been the only person who has worked on it and hopefully it'll stay that way.

·
BOTM 07/09
1,693 Posts
:+1:

Several years back I had burned my clutch out and dropped it off at a local spot. He changed the clutch plates as well as the oil and filter. Funny, when I asked him what filter he used he responded back "Honda filter". Riiiiiiiight, he never did the oil change, my Mobil 1 filter was still on there. After that ordeal I had a friend teach me the ropes and help me out with EVERYTHING I have done to my bike. Never again will I go to him, or any other mechanic.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where are they getting these idiot machanics from anyway? A shop that has someone screwing bikes up will get a bad rep quick.

·
Registered
625 Posts
agreed! i got screwed HARD CORE with my old truck. shop said i needed a new motor as mine had been running w/o oil (long story) so we shelled out the 4k for a new motor. after months of not having the truck when i finally get it back i open to see the "brand new" motor i had payed for to see my same old motor. needless to say we got our money back and after that no one worked on my cars but me. i started with the mustang doing all the work myself and have saved thousands in installation money with the stuff i have done to the car. same will go for the bike i will be doing all the work maybe with the help of friends. rather know more than i need to when it comes to auto repair than not enough

·
Registered
86 Posts
My gf took her car to Ed's Tire, a big local shop, and well they told her if she was to get rid of the rattling she would have to buy a new exhaust and gave a $400 quote. I crawled up under there and found the problem in less than 5 mins. A tiny rock stuck between a heat shield and the muffler. F*** shops, My brother, friends and myself are all the mechanics I will ever need or give a dime to.

·
Registered
175 Posts
A massive portion of the population have the same mechanical knowledge as your average hamster. It is for this reason that some mechanics feel like they can get away with work like this. It is indeed a shame. I worked as a mechanic for my local Honda dealership and I can honestly say that not every single shop is this way but you def have to do some homework before you commit to shelling out big bucks for a repair. I do most of my own work aside from projects that i dont have the equipment for. In which case I will send just the part that needs work. (i.e. head work or cylinder work) Arm yourself with knowledge.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I agree, when possible it is always better to do it yourself. Applies to many things in life. If you don't know how to do something do a little research and educate yourself. Conversely, there are certainly times when it just doesn't pay to do it on your own (specialty equipment etc.).

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was watching the harley machanic changing out my tires today and was cringing the whole time thinking, "this guy's going to scratch my rims up, I just know it". But he did do a good job, for a harley guy.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
couldnt be more true. when i first got my 6RR it has a oil leak from the clutch cover. i was in a hurry and let a local shop do an oil change and fix the leak. they gave it to me and said, well it had a leak you might wanna get it fixed.
thats y i took it there. . shops suck balls unless you actually know the people you are dealing with.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I was watching the harley machanic changing out my tires today and was cringing the whole time thinking, "this guy's going to scratch my rims up, I just know it". But he did do a good job, for a harley guy.
I'm going to be picking one of these up in a few months. Check it out - http://www.youtube.com/user/nomartirechanger

Had access to a lot of tools/equipment in TX. Now, not so much...lol

Peace,

Gabe

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
i ABSOLUTELY hate the way all shops have a bad rep cause of a few bad apples, not all shops are like that, yes there are a lot of them, its easy to get away with when the majority of the people are absolutely clueless when it comes to cars. i have been fixing cars foir over 20 years and been a professional mechanic for over 16 years and i can honestly say i have never screwed anyone over (of course theres the $2 here $5 there thing which you will find in any business) but never sold anything they dont need. the DIY thing is an excellent idea but before you try to repair anything you have to understand how it works, without that you'll have no idea wether or not its not working correctly.

also i have seen mechanics in my day that were certified to the max, and still had no right having tools in there hands. its a nack trade and some people dont have the nack for it, those are the ones that should probably leave it to the professionals.

but yes find someone that you can trust. find a place before you need repairs, let them no you are looking for a shop to establish a working friendship with, most of the time they will be willing to show you around and show you how they operate. if they do that they are legit. anytime you go in for a repair tell them you want to see/keep the old parts, when they show them to you ask them to explain what went wrong and where, make them show you. at the shop i work at now almost every single part removed is not thrown out till the customer picks up their car.

education is a powerful tool

1 - 18 of 18 Posts