Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the long post, but I need some help.
Basically I'm getting screwed by a shop.
I took in my bike for a couple things.
Inspection, Oil change, tune up, install frame sliders and check lights (brakes and blinkers came loose trailering it up).
I thought it would be around $200 for everything at most.

Well my bikes been there for almost 2 weeks and they finally call me today saying everything is done, and the total is $570. I was like WTF?!? The whole 2 weeks I've been calling everyday or every other day to see what was going on and get a estimate. The first week and a half, they said they were busy and didnt get a chance to look at me bike. Finally when they get a chance to look at it, they can't give me an estimate, cuz they don't know how much time/parts are gonna be involved.

Basically I think it's all BS, I dont think they really got a good chance to look at my bike when I called, and never gave me an estimate even after they did. So anyhow these douchebags arent budging on the price.
When I asked them to break it down they wait it was 9 hours of labor total and they discounted 3 hours leaving it at 6 hrs total
so $360 for labor
the rest is parts - wires, fuses, blinkers and oil
I was arguing over the phone but it wasn't going anywhere.

Basically I feel like im getting screwed here, but I can't get my bike back til i pay.
I have the money to pay, but this place is really dicking me over and I don't think they can justify that price.

Anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Go down there and talk to the dealerships manager...not the sniveling little punk on the phone. Go get a couple estimates from a few other local shops to get an idea what you should be paying...complain about the length of time they had your bike and threaten to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau if they wont work with you.

With all the work they did, your looking at 3-4 hours at the most for labor(unless the tech was a complete moron), plus parts.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Damn, i think your stuck on this one since nothing was agreed on in writing. That's why it's best to have everything agreed on (estimates especially) before leaving anything at a shop, because once it's there, you have to pay to get it back. So i'm not quite sure what else you can do besides to pay up. Good luck with it. ******* shady shops!

Ryan

·
Registered
769 Posts
sounds high to me, but know some shops charge an arm and a leg just to do maintenance. i'd bring it up w/ the manager, but good chance you could be screwed. did anyone say anything about what it would cost before you brought it in to them?

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
actually, aren't they supposed to give you an estimate BEFORE working on your bike? in all honesty, you could tell them to go to hell. tell them to undo everything and give you your bike back. i did that once...b/c they screwed with everything. guess i look like the little lost girl or something. needless to say, they dropped the price after i asked for a detailed, item by item description of what they did and how long it took them to do EACH thing. imagine that it came out to be a lot less than what they were charging me!!!!

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
The frameslider install alone costs some $. Even more if u didn't supply the sliders. I don't see what kind of tuneup your talking about unless your looking to get your cables tightened and chain to the correct ammount of slack.

It sux but I think u did a poor job and just left it to them on the bike. Maybe give some details about the bike, year, Miles? U got to talk about this ahead of time. As soon as u get the estimate then u tell them to do the work.

·
Registered
311 Posts
well i know in Michigan if you dont agree on the price before the work is done there screwed.. you are supposed to be given a written estimate before work is done.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Inliner said:
well i know in Michigan if you dont agree on the price before the work is done there screwed.. you are supposed to be given a written estimate before work is done.
That holds true to most places...HOWEVER....read the fine print as they usually state that they reserve the right to tack on more money if needed.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
ya, what was involved in the tune up, and did you agree to having their "tune up" procedure done? Maybe you were talking cables and chain tightening, and they were talking plugs and other maintenence. I have never heard of a shop not giving you an estimate atleast, so you know what to expect or atleast a ballpark range. Did you have the sliders already? Did you ask what it would cost just for the slider install. I have been quoted $90 for that when I asked my shop out of curiosity, and have heard of others being charged like $200 for the same thing. Give us some more details i guess.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies and the help, you guys are awesome, I really appreciate it.

Basically I just bought a 2003 with 2600 miles, and its in great running condition.
Like I said I brought it in for an inspection, oil change and basic tune up/check up.

What I'm getting charged for:

$360 - 6 hours of labor
The labor was broken down to:
-Time to locate and replace fuse(s),
-Install frame slider (I cut the holes in the fairings myself) but they said one of the bolts was stripped and was difficult to remove
-Tune up (when I ask what this included he said- change air filter, check spark plugs and fluids and stuff yanno the basic tune up, he started getting defensive.)

The rest he said was parts:
- Oil
- replacement blinker
- replacement licence plate bracket
-inspection (isnt it $6 in NY?)

As I was disputing the amount of money and time involved, and asking for more details he got more defensive. He told me to check his reputation, said if I had a problem I should have done it myself. Basically he was being very unprofessional, and really acting like a douchebag. He ended up saying he didnt have time for me to "nickel and dime him, and I don't have time for this bulllshit". When I called back douchebag #2 answered said douchebag #1 was not available and if I can take a message. I said I want everything taken off and want to pick up my bike. He said it's labor and he cant undo anything. He said if I dont want to pay he'll hold my bike until they do.

To make it clear I didn't get an estimate, I didnt give the go ahead to have any of the work done. I did sign the form when I first dropped off my bike and filled out the information about what I wanted done. I'm not sure if that makes a difference, but I really feel like im getting screwed here. I feel like he can't justify the amount he's charging and when I do ask, which I think is very reasonable, he starts pms-ing on me.

How much should something like this cost, on the high end? I don't know that much about bikes but I know $570 is a lot more than I was expecting. I'm going to call the better business bureau and try to do something.

To those that actaully read all this, sorry for the long story and all the bitching, but i'm fawkin pissed and don't know what to do at this point.
Thanks again for any hlep

·
Over the berm, and thru the woods, to grandmothers
1,220 Posts
The BBB will help you out a a lot. They can also tell you if there have been any complaints about them before. Just talk to them and let them help you sort it out.
It sucks but you still might have to bite the bullet on this one.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
If you haven't already, just pay the man. Then start reviewing your options. In my experience the BBB is laregely ineffective, because smaller businesses don't care whether or not they get the BBB seal of approval. Your best bet is to go to your state's Attorney General's office. They should have a complaint form you can print online, or call and have them mail you. Fill out said form, and be very specific in your narrative of what was / was not agreed to.

If you have a solid case in the AG's eyes they will send a threatening letter to the business on your behalf. The AG's office has the legal authority to impose fines, so more often than not, the business will go along with it rather than deal with the hassle.

I did this to a garage which fucked up my exhaust manifold when working on the transmission. They wouldn't even talk to me, but after the AG's office sent them a nastygram I got a check in the mail days later.

·
Registered
912 Posts
The Lieutenant is right. The BBB really can't do much of anything for you. I had something similar happen with Alienware (a horrible computer company) when they sent me a $3300 defective laptop. They refused to fix it or refund my money. I tried the BBB in their local area, but Alienare laughed it off. I finally decided to contact the Attorney General's office. It wasn't a week later and my money was refunded.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yeah, I think you got screwed. If you had already drilled the fairings, I am not sure why you didn't just install the sliders yourself. The drilling is the hardest part. The hard bolt to remove is the right side, and that's because the pinch bolt can clamp down on the bushing fairly tightly. It's a common newbie issue, but a competent shop can usually remove it with a longer wrench or a breaker bar.

As for tune up, oil, etc, even the most expensive rip off joint here in Los Angeles will do a basic interval service (including oil change) for about $250 tops.

I am not sure if you want to fight the fight or have it be a lesson learned, but you have to decide if you want the bike back sooner or later.

·
Registered
223 Posts
sounds like they're doing some shady business, if the whole were already cut for the sliders there's not much labor at all. Lining up the holes and cutting is probably the most time consuming thing in there and you took care of it yourself. I'd make it my personal business to go after them.

·
Bike Of The Month - 09/05
1,609 Posts
If someone gave me a repair price for my bike like that.... I would say "sold"
Damn.... I think that may be a bit expensive.
In europe oil change (inc. oil filter), regular tune (chain, accel.) and a few other things would'nt cost more 75€. That should be around $90 us dollars. The price they gave you is a bit over the edge.

·
Registered
814 Posts
It's ********, have a knowledgeable and proffessional friend call as your 'legal representation' to obtain the 'details of the transaction'. Anyone with half a brain could do all that work within an hour and a half tops. And there is no way the parts cost more than $40.

·
Registered
212 Posts
breakdown:

inspection 1 hour
tune up 1.5
frame sliders 1 to 1.5
brakes and lights up to 1.5
i think 6 hours is a bit generous, you should at least get a full service sheet with your invoice. inspection and tune up / full service should only run at most for 2 hours because they're pretty much going thru the same checklist.
let this be a learning experience for you and next time make sure you get a written estimate before any work is done. most honest shops will be happy to provide you with one.

·
Registered
638 Posts
PAy it on your credit card then dispute it.

When you dispute it, support your dispute with an estimate from another shop (or two) showing them how much you should have been charged. You shop will have to reponse. If they don't you might even get off for free. When you dispute a charge, it is immediately taken off your credit card statement until it is resolved.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts