Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Ride Red
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A moment of silence for another fellow rider, but damn I hope this kind of **** really opens some peoples eyes...

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_5422382

Motorcycle crash kills Bliss soldier

By Daniel Borunda / El Paso Times
Article Launched: 03/13/2007 12:00:00 AM MDT

A Fort Bliss soldier was killed Monday afternoon when he crashed his motorcycle while trying to avoid hitting the back of atractor-trailer on Montana Avenue, an El Paso County Sheriff's Office spokesman said.

The 21-year-old motorcyclist received massive head and upper body injuries and died at the scene near Montana Vista, sheriff's spokesman Rick Glancey said.

The man's name was not released pending notification of family.

Fort Bliss officials confirmed he was an active-duty soldier at the post.

Sheriff's traffic investigators believe the man was riding a Suzuki GSXR 600 at a high speed westbound shortly after 12:30 p.m. when the driver of a semi-truck signaled he was turning right into a parking lot, Glancey said.

Glancey said the bike sped up in an attempt to move to the inside lane. The motorcyclist tried but wasn't able to change lanes.

"The cyclist then slammed on the brakes, the bike dug in and he went airborne," Glancey said.

Sgt. Scott Mann said the rider was wearing a helmet but it fell off in the impact. The motorcycle slid under the 18-wheeler and stopped by the rear tires of the trailer. The truck driver's name was not released. An investigation continues. This is the first traffic death recorded by the El Paso County Sheriff's Office this year compared with four at the same time last year. El Paso's streets see motorcycles year-round but those numbers tend to increase as the weather gets warmer.

The number of motorcycles in the city has more than doubled in the last decade. In 1996, there were 2,997 motorcycles registered in El Paso, compared with more than 8,000 last year. Deaths have also risen. There were eight fatal motorcycle crashes last year compared with four in 1996.

·
Registered
396 Posts
yeah most likely he didn't have the strap buckled. hard to imagine the helmet coming undone even on such forceful impact. hope the rider rests in peace...

·
Registered
737 Posts
yes it fallows the gsx R as it would with imports kind of like the type R naw j/k i dont know seems to me like there is more noobs wanting gsxR for some reason so i guess they have better chance of being called squids or ricers.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
why is that on every motorcycle crash the reports say that "the rider was going at a high rate of speed"??? and please don't bash on every gixxer rider coz not everyone of them is a squid. RIP to the rider.

·
Registered
107 Posts
RIP............ I think a lot of new/squid-like riders have gixxers cuz you don't have to have full coverage to finance through Suzuki (from what I've been told)

·
Ride Red
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RIP............ I think a lot of new/squid-like riders have gixxers cuz you don't have to have full coverage to finance through Suzuki (from what I've been told)
TRUE FACT! Friend of mine bought his gsxr600 that way.

HOWEVER, the same went for me as well. I only needed liability to purchase the motorcycle.

I never said all gixxer riders were squids, however they are notorious for causing trouble on the streets and riding stupid. Defend all you want, but you know its true.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
i'm not defending suzuki, but u just cant stereotype riders based on motorcycle brand. as a matter of fact i have 2 riding buddies on k6 1000 gixxers who are very responsible, full gear, full insurance, even alarm and garage. they always teach me how to ride even in the twisties.
but i get what ur saying. a lot of new bike owners choose suzuki purely because of the "coolness" and popularity factor not taking into consideration other important aspects of a motorcycle.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree that it's really not brand specific, and I would bet there are more suzuki riders that are better than me than not. All I mean is that those squids that buy a bike just to look cool, wanna buy new and not pay the ridiculous insurance, and suzuki is the only company I was aware of that would allow that. I don't have any real squid encounters, except green mohawks on helmets.

·
Ride Red
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't have any real squid encounters, except green mohawks on helmets.
Guy that I know has a yellow mohawk on his helmet and he's for sure one of the biggest squids I know. I never rode with him before (he's a friend of a friend) but watching him wheelie from an on-ramp, cutting in front of a pickup truck changing lanes to avoid hitting a big rig did it for me. I'll never ride with him again. Of course there's no coincidence he's on a 02 GSXR 600.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
R.I.P. fallen rider...

GSX-R has a large market share, and an 'cool' image to go with it, so it will attract a lot of show-boat riders...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts