Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a bank repo 04. Shipping company finnally gets it to my house and i realize right of the bat that the oil is milky like it has water or coolant in it....so i drain it and replace the oil. Next i put a jumper box on the battery cables (bike also had no battery when it showed up), then i cranked it over and i started right up. Watched the temp. gauge to see if it was going to overheat due to a cracked head or blown head gasket but it stayed under 170( because of the mily oil). I just had the bike at idle for about 5 min and i look down and the headers are glowing red so i immediately shut it off. Im assuming its a problem with the fuel delivery and that it is running lean. I would appreciate any help on this....

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
fuctup a/f ratio.

running what too rich or too lean? dont remember which does that.
does it have a PCIII?

the fact that the oil was white means it prolly does have a blown gasket.
did you watch the temp gauge go up to 170? sometimes they go bad and will read incorrectly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
havent drained the oil but i found out that it is leaking from the stator cover, but it did look a little cleaner than the last bunch i drained out of it. The header glows red when i throttle it to about 2500 for a min or so...not sure if this is normal with this bike. Im not exactly sure what the bike does and doesnt have on it, i just got it yesterday and i havent had much time to disect it. as far as aftermarket parts all i see is a pro tek lowering link and an ART cat back pipe.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah...but im wondering why its running lean...i guess it could be clogged injectors or something reducing the fuel flow

·
19,904 Posts
Check the fuel rails(upper and lower) and their wiring.

That is the kind of lean where some serious starvation is going on. If it is leaning that's causing that.

Check the fuel pump also. I hope u got a multimeter and some electrical skills.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i think it is lean. how does it run??? rough when you rev it up??? the old saying is "Lean is Mean" but too lean will blow some sh*t up. maybe buy some fuel inj cleaner.. like seafoam that **** works good. are all tube glowing or is it just one. check the air filter to see if it is clogged..

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
i am going to guess that there is no pc3 on it messing with the map

pull a spark plug and check it out
if its white then yes its running lean.
the porcelin should be chocolate in color

way too much timing will cause the headers to glow as well

·
Registered
147 Posts
What material are the headers made of? Titanium headers (RC51) glow when running.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hmm the milky oil sounds like a blown head gasket...might be sucking some extra air in also making a lean mixture...just my thoughts.

·
19,904 Posts
RR headers are made of not very stainless steel.

Trust me, mine are rust brown in color.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
ive ragged the sh!t out of my 07 and NEVER had the header glow. my old mitsubishi turbo did tho:icon_lol: u could light a cigarette off of it.

hope u get her sorted out bro.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
check to make sure the exhaust is on right. On my last bike I had removed and replaced the exhaust and when I started it the pipes went red hot too. turned out the pipes werent tight to the head and the air coming in at that point was reigniting the unspent fuel.
Its one idea.

[edit: they may have pulled an aftermarket exaust and not replaced the stock one correctly]

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks everybody for the input...im gonna strip this bitch down this weekend and get to the bottom of it. hope everyone had a happy turkey day.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah...all four tubes are glowing. Ill check the pipe flanges and make sure they are all bolted tight and ill check the air box. Bike sounds real good when i rev it up though....no backfire or anything like that.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
yeah...all four tubes are glowing. Ill check the pipe flanges and make sure they are all bolted tight and ill check the air box. Bike sounds real good when i rev it up though....no backfire or anything like that.
i wonder,
if the PAIR is stuck open would that cause this

like i said though check your plugs to make sure
because its just like when looking at an EGT gauge on a car. all you are doing is looking at the heat. a too rich mixture will cause the exhaust gas to heat up too because the mixture will still be burning when the exhaust valve opens up and starts getting pushed out. when you tune with an egt gauge you start richening up the mixture watching the egt go down. it will go down to a point and then start to go back up because the combustion flame is too large from too much fuel and going out the exhaust valves.

·
Registered
706 Posts
It's either lean, the timing is too far advanced or you have burned up valves/guides/seals causing combustion to happen in the exhaust runners. The valves/guides/seals could explain the oil. Could also be a cracked head sucking air and losing water.

Funny thing is I have a very nice complete RR motor in my garage and she happens to be for sale. 12k miles

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i dont know man...the oil is getting cleaner everytime i flush it out. I think the water got into the crankcase because the jackass before me tried to reseal the stator cover after im guessing he dumped it, and forgot to put a couple of bolts in so when the bike comes up to temp...the oil just about pours out of it....so i think thats where the milky oil came from...i think maybe it sat outside in michigan for a while and rain and condensation could have gathered inside the crank case. The cooling system is working fine...bike gets to 220 and the fans kick on and you can watch the temp drop on the gauge cluster. So im almost ruling out a head gasket or a cracked head...also i have found no coolant leaking from anywhere....and the oil is looking much better.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts