Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Man, I was coming off the 91 heading west to turn left on Glassell and my bike just flew out of under me. One of those big blue trash trucks had leaked an unbelievable amount of oil accross one lane for like 3-4 blocks. I thought it was water so I slowed down to about 30-35 to take the turn. Less than 2 mins after I got up, the police came. A guy in a SUV spun and hit the curb and he was the guy that called the police. 6 cop cars and a huge clean up crew showed up to control the situation as many people were spining out.

Damage:

Me - brused left thigh. I wear gear. Had I not been wearing gear, I would have had a lot of rash.

Bike:
- Moriwaki frame slider did its job but scraped about half way.
- swing arm spool = very scraped up.
- barend - scraped
- Mirror - scraped
* passenger footpeg - minute dings/scratches
* shiftpeg - minor scratches
* clutch lever - minor scratches
* tail - hardly noticeable scratch

* added after closer inspection.

Gear:
- Kushitani mesh - a little scraped up. Should I claim it?
- cell phone - broken. - definately claming it.

Trash company gave me the card to their claims administrator. Has anyone been in a situation like this before? Im sure they will take care of me and pay for damages, so, I was wondering how much I might claim or not claim.

Ride safe guys and WEAR YOUR GEAR!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Claim everything you can to the trash company. Did they stop or something, how did you know it was them?

They have insurance and will probably more than happy to pay and will be thankful you weren't injured (that's where the real $$ comes in.)

Sorry to hear, def not good start for memorial day weekend. Good luck bro!

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I would definitely replace any damaged gear from the crash. If your helmet took a hit replace it. Period. Stupidily irresponsible on thier part. Get a complete check up from your doctor as well before you settle. Be patient and think things through completely. The insurance company may want to settle things quickly with you. Don't sign or agree to anything.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NewRedRider said:
If your helmet took a hit replace it.
Thats what kinda pisses me off. Im in need of a new helmet (its just old) and because it was so slick, I just slid and didnt hit my head at all. I feel like, "damn, why didnt I hit my head...."

·
Registered
61 Posts
So go out and drag the helmet down the driveway a few times?!?

Glad you're ok though!!! Hit em up for every last penny that you can squeeze out of them!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Just a note because sometimes ppl forget. Be careful what you say on here, if someone from the insurance company wanted to do a little research on the bike after they find out the model - they could easily type in 600RR in google and the first result is 600rr.net

Unlikely, but all I'm only saying is it's possible, and the mere mention of fraud would most likely turn into them fighting the claim.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the concern guys, but Im not out to nail this company for as much as I can get. It was an accident. I will just look for compensation for what is damaged. Sure, Im brused up and it does hurt quite a bit, but I used to play linebacker in the Urban Football League. The bruses I got there were just as bad or worse... so Im used to it.

Anyway, I was thinking... How much oil does one of those trucks hold? Cuz I would say it leaked several gallons. After I went down, I went to the next light, did a U-turn, talked to the cop and witness(guy who called the police saw me go down) and followed the trail to the trash truck. There was a lot of oil in the lane and it went for about 4 hundred yards and crossed two intersections.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Well keep in mind that sometimes the only way to make companies change thier policies is through litigation. I'm not advocating you try and get anything that you don't justly deserve. Merely that you realize the difference in doing something by choice and causing yourself pain and having someones neglect cause you pain. You played football by choice because it was something that you enjoyed. You didn't ask to be slammed on the ground by an irresponsible driver spilling oil all over the road that could have killed you or someone else. Someone needs to pay and pay big! This isn't a "Oops, I bumped you with my car and dented your fender." This is, "Oops I almost killed someone." Big difference and should not be taken lightly nor should you feel guilty about going after this company.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts