Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just been thinking alot about getting a new bike this season, riding an R1 last season makes me want the new R1 or the G1k, but the 600RR's been keeping my thoughts off the liter bikes.

What does everyone think about going back down to a 600 for commuting/weekend twistie riding. After not riding the one for a good 6 months, would i miss the power of the 1000?

Well input is appreciated, so lets hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I went from a CBR929RR to a RC51 to a CBR600RR. I don't feel like I am missing anything... Granted, the seat of the pants TORQUE hit is gone, when I was still learning, I could make up for lack of cornerspeed easier with the extra grunt. But in overall speed, I am not missing anything on the 600 since I consider myself now to be a better rider (still not great, just better than I was). Thats my $.02.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I also have moved from a 929 to the 600RR. I made the move because I know I will be a faster and better rider with the 600RR on the track and at the twisties. I was tired of riding a bike that I had to worry/control how much gas I was giving it in a corner. I’m at a point in my riding skills where I was pushing the 929 so hard on the track it was starting to bite me back. The way I look at it is I can push the 600RR around more and become a better rider.

FYI: I have been riding sportbikes for 12 years.

C

·
0 Posts
A lot of people have made this change. The 600 is a perfect sportbike for those that do a lot of street riding. You can get a lot out of these 600s these days. Of course the torque will be different, but you will be able to ride the 600 to or very near to its full potential which will be fun in itself.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Bigger faster bikes do not make a rider any better. Unfortunately, too many people believe riding skill is determined by CCs and roll on power on the interstate. However, if it floats your boat, buy what you want.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think a liter bike is pretty much worthless on the street. It's just way too easy to get into trouble. With the 600 you just don't really have to worry about giving it too much throttle in the corners. Plus you have to be a hardcore dumbass to highside a 600 on the street. Take it from me...I'm a freakin genius when it comes to bikes. I've been riding for a year now and I've seen Biker Boyz! :squid: :squid: :squid: :squid: :squid:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I would have to disagree with plyhard. THe street in the only place for a liter bike...totaly wasted ccs on the track though...

U

·
0 Posts
I would have to disagree with plyhard. THe street in the only place for a liter bike...totaly wasted ccs on the track though...
That's what I was thinking. You appreciate not having to rev the pi$$ out a 1000 commuting around town. But for that get a V-Twin and call it a day. I put up with my 600 because I think it's more bike than I really need and it'll allow me to become a better rider, that's where my focus is. If I want to go fast in a straight line I do it in a car.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I went form a r6 to an r1 back now to a 600rr
Well the biggest disapointment in owning a 600 was after owning the r1 was the amount of mid range power. But I can honestly say that I missed my r6 cause I owned the 600 and the r1 owned me.I have been riding for 23 years (street 14) so I wasnt that I did not have the skillz to ride the r1 just I allways had to be on alert.With that bottom end seems like to could get into that danger zone with out any effort. A 600 you have to be in the zone which was a clearly a decision that you make. But I live in a big city and spend 90% of my time (unfortunately)riding under 10,000 rpm. being that said its the lower end grunt that you wish you had when on the 600 and if you have never been on a big boy then you are not missing a thing but if you have you feel a bit wishing for that extra 50hp.
I do belive I will stay alive longer on the 600rr but if you are a responsible rider with any experince and not racing it, there is nothing like the king of the hill between your legs

·
Registered
336 Posts
How about this...get a decent sized V-twin. You don't have to worry about putting yourself on your ass with 150hp and you get all the midrange you need. My Ducati Monster is the perfect around town bike. All you need are two gears. Plus it's really hard to get over your head on that thing.

·
Registered
998 Posts
"there is nothing like the king of the hill between your legs"

I already have the King of the Hill between my legs :lol2: and that's why I stick with the 600RR.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm actually considering either a 250 or the Aprilia RS50 for the street. I've decided that even a 600 is way too much bike for street riding. Unless you literally stay in 1st gear 90% of the time, you'll never really get to use the bike. I spent most of last year riding around in 2nd gear. But I'm sure neither of those bikes would be ideal commuters. So really, it comes down to what you want to do with the bike. If it's just commuting, then the 1k would be better. But if you're looking for something you can ring out on the road, then the 600 (or smaller) would be better. Either way, good luck with your decision. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have a 929 for the street and the 600RR for the track. My reasoning for the 9 going street-wise is the availability of the power---you don't have to be up in revs like a 6. In traffic I find that quite helpful when cruising at 50mph and a cager begins to come over on me. Plus pulling the front up in second is a bit easier too :twisted:

The 600 is plenty enough power for the track. More controllable than the liter bikes but still enough "umph" to step the rear out if ya on the gas a tad too early.

That's my nickel subtract three cents. It's your decision.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'll toss in my free advice, worth exactly what you pay for it:

After thirty-plus years of riding street and dirt (yeah, I'm prolly your dad's age) I've seen something over and over again: The REALLY fast guys ride smaller bikes.

Out on the motocross track, you can be thrashing away on your 450 and think you're going ten tenths, and then suddenly get waxed by some outatown pro on his 125. (Worse yet -- some future Ricky C wunderkind on his 80.)

Same on the track and twisties: The really good guys can eat your lunch on a 600, no matter what liter bike you are on.

And I think one of the reasons the really good guys got really good is that they did not try to make up for insufficient skills by applying excess horsepower.

(Far too many liter bikes (and almost all busas) are just purchased to be penis extenders anyway.)

With 600s putting more than an hundred hp to the wheel, who in the world needs more? Why not save the money (both buying and insuring) and ride a 600?

Ain't bragging, but I can afford ANY bike you can name. I chose the 600RR.

FWIW

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I can't say much as I've never owned anything over a 600....but I say get the 600 and if you need a little more umph, exhaust, PCIII, and a gear change will be all you need to run with most stock litre bikes at road speeds.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
GA_RR said:
I can't say much as I've never owned anything over a 600....but I say get the 600 and if you need a little more umph, exhaust, PCIII, and a gear change will be all you need to run with most stock litre bikes at road speeds.
Unfortunately this is not true if you are the point and shoot kind. I used to take my F4i out against GSXr 1000s and R1s in 2001 on some barren stretches of road. I would get use of full gears they would roll on (Just to see how long it took to be over taken). At 60mph in 2nd, the F4i would take off away from the 1000s. By the time I was near 110, the would blow by me with 20 to 30 MPH on me.

However, in twisties, it is not the same thing. Now I track ride and I keep my speeding to a minimum. Actually, you would be hard pressed to find me doing 75 in a 55 zone. Tickets suck and I finally have a clean record!

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
hondaf4iguy said:
GA_RR said:
Unfortunately this is not true if you are the point and shoot kind. I used to take my F4i out against GSXr 1000s and R1s in 2001 on some barren stretches of road. I would get use of full gears they would roll on (Just to see how long it took to be over taken). At 60mph in 2nd, the F4i would take off away from the 1000s. By the time I was near 110, the would blow by me with 20 to 30 MPH on me.

However, in twisties, it is not the same thing. Now I track ride and I keep my speeding to a minimum. Actually, you would be hard pressed to find me doing 75 in a 55 zone. Tickets suck and I finally have a clean record!
Yeah, that's what I mean...speeds under the speed limit or just over. hondaf4iguy, I'm just like you.... you will rarely see me doing more than 10 over the speed limit other than a quick blast or 2 to 90-100. Getting tickets really sucks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i'm glad most people have something constructive to say, and i was actually feeling the same way everyone else is, thanks for reassuring me guys :), like ppl mentioned, faster riders are on the smaller bikes.. this dude on his gixx 600 last year would lose me by a long shot on my one... hahaha oh well.

now a question to the florida guys, what kind of rates are the RR's going for, the dealers around my area are being pricks and not wanting to go even 100 below 8599.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts