Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys as the title says i am going on a long trip and dont need the extra oompf, can i just change out the -1 front sprocket i have now with the OEM sprocket and keep the 520 conversion?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
no, you need to buy a 16 tooth 520 front sprocket. you cannot mix and match 525 and 520 chains and sprockets. your idea about getting rid of your upgear for a long trip is good though- why overrev and waist gas for no reason?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hrmmmm

right now my setup is -1 +2

to keep things fast to change over, easy and cheap, would it be worth while to go +2 in the front while i am changing it?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't worry about it.... not really worth the trouble changing it just for a roadtrip. Chains and sprockets wear together, you start doing a mix and match, both are gonna start to wear differently.

I doubt you'll be able to do +2 either... it wouldn't fit if I'm not mistaken. 16 is about the highest you can go I do believe

Just leave it... it'll be fine (IMHO)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
how long is the trip? that is really the question.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the trip will be about 4000 km down into the US and back up through quebec and back into ontario

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
WOA! that's quite a trip! i'd say invest in the bigger front sprocket for sure! I went to laguna seca on my bike (700 miles round trip) and i thought that was bad! you should definitely invest to make your bike revs nice and low on the highway. you'll make your money back in gas and then some. good luck! these bikes aren't exactly the most tour-worthy steeds! i'd look at getting a goldwing or something if i were you :laughing1

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
WOA! that's quite a trip! i'd say invest in the bigger front sprocket for sure! I went to laguna seca on my bike (700 miles round trip) and i thought that was bad! you should definitely invest to make your bike revs nice and low on the highway. you'll make your money back in gas and then some. good luck! these bikes aren't exactly the most tour-worthy steeds! i'd look at getting a goldwing or something if i were you :laughing1
Amen to the Goldwing lol You can do wheelies on them :five:

·
need a 1krr
1,088 Posts
good luck on that trip! I took a 300 mile trip last weekend and was wishin I had a road warrior.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol thanks ! i hope the corbin seat will finally get broken in!

Does anyone know if a 17T will fit inthe front?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
lol thanks ! i hope the corbin seat will finally get broken in!

Does anyone know if a 17T will fit inthe front?

it will probably fit the bike, but will your current chain fit? that's the question. FYI- stock sproks (16F-43R) make for a 112 link chain... any idea how many links you've got on your chain right now?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hrm no idea... it doesn't look like i'll have time to do this swap in time for the trip...

the only 17 tooth sprocket i found was from Pitbull and they avent gotten back to me about shipping.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
www.sportbiketrackgear.com , they sell pitbull sprockets (i have them). i got mine within a week, no dramas. they are excellent in terms of durability. i've had mine for 5000 miles and they're not even worn.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I made two week, 5000km trip this summer with my -03 RR with -1 front sprocket and standart seat and it wasn´t really bad at all! I actually like the RR seat more than those too soft touring bike seat now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts