Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I live in Indianapolis, Indiana and am heading down to Brown County with a couple riders for the first time. Only been riding street and haven't been on the interstate yet.

Guys have any advice?

·
Registered
96 Posts
stay in the fast lane so you only have to worry about cars behind and to the right. wear earplugs to minimize mental fatigue.

·
Registered
286 Posts
i'll 3rd the earplugs...

plan a few stops along the way - your body will get tired and need 5 or 10 minute rests. My first few long rides I stopped about every 80 or 100 miles, but these days i ride until i gotta get gas again.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Gear up, and let one of your experienced friends lead. Move your tail around on the seat and squeeze the tank with your legs to relieve some weight and stress on your arms and wrists. Be careful when passing by big trucks and semis' they kick up some mad cross winds. Just watch those crazy cagers and have fun :D

·
Registered
496 Posts
I rode 300 miles on the HY last Saturday and would of gave $50 for a set of plugs,I thought I levt them on the bench in my shop and the next morning I found them in my jacket . Had them the whole time :bitchslap:

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
1. you will get there when you get there ( take your time )
you are not going to recieve any awards no matter when you get there
2. ride within your limits
3. do not let your ego rule your throttle hand
4. put your high beams on ( visibility)
5.carry your own map if you do not know the way so if you get left behind you do not risk riding beyond your limits trying to catch up and end up having an accident ( god forbid) seen it happen on local sunday rides pick a meeting point if your group gets seperated
6. if you have a cell phone take it for emergency
7. WEAR YOUR GEAR no matter what your buddies are wearing :roll: :roll:
and finally have fun and be safe ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
if you absolutely can, avoid the interestate... they really suck!!! i would try to find a twisty backroads route, but i know sometimes you have to hit the four lane... :roll:

and remember, the two most important things:

1) WEAR YOUR GEAR - i mean full track garb... helmet, leather gloves, leather jacket, leather pants, race boots, and back-protector (if you got it). trust me... if anything happened, you're body will thank you.
2) ride your own ride - i can not stress this enough. when you start over extending your self and riding beyond your limits, well, that's when you get hurt.

other important things to have (some others have listed above some others haven't) are:

3) ear plugs - wear ear plugs even if you don't have a loud exhaust. it's not the exhaust that causes hearing damage, it's the wind noise. at interstate speeds, the wind noise in a helmet can reach over 100db (which, by the way, is the level at which hearing damage begins to occur).
4) cell phone - if anything happenes, this is your only means of letting people know where you are...
5) road map - this is something you may or may not need depending on how well you know the area.

also remember to:

6) drink plenty of water - this seems kinda obvious, but even though you may not think you need to anything to drink try to drink as much water as you can because, if the weather up there is anything like it is down here, you'll be sweat'n buckets (err, at least several of liters) before the end of the day.
7) fall into a position where you feel the most comfortable - since this is your first long ride, don't lead... try to ride either in the middle of the group or at the end of the group. if you feel you're being pushed, wave on the rider behind you to pass until you find a position where you feel comfortable.
8) make sure the group knows - it's always a good idea to get a feel for the skill level and experience of each rider in the group. especially in your case, where this will be your first long haul. hopefully, whoever leads will stop semi-frequently to check with you for physical and mental fatique.

oh yeah, one last thing... expect to be a little sore the next day. keep an eye on your wrists. ususally on the very first long ride, riders will have wrist pains either during and/or after the ride. if so, it's because you're sitting up to much and putting most of your weight through your hands. remember to transfer the majority of your weight through your torso down to your legs and into the rearset...

enjoy your first long haul and ride safe...

·
Registered
812 Posts
I wore padded bike shorts under my leathers till I got a Corbin.

I ride the speed limit till a fast cager blows by. Then I follow 100 yards back and slow when he does, speed when he speeds.

I keep one eye in the mirror to keep my tail clean. Keep right where you can.

Usually, a line forms and I keep in the middle near the front. I pick a car that leaves alot of room and get in front of them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1st off, thanks for the good advice guys, it really helped out.

Well there were four of is total ( 600 Bandit, 500 Buell, a 1100 Yamaha Cruiser and my F4i)
and left indy about 10:00 am and took I465 to 67 South. Stayed on there till we hit 46 to 135. Then we were pretty much in Brown County. Hit the twisties (which were scary at first, then started getting used to it). We ended up at town called Story and ate at the Story Inn (get the BBQ pork if you go).

Then back tracked to 135 and headed through Nashville, IN and took that to Greenwood and got back on 37 to 465.

Total trip 5hrs (4 Riding, 1 gas and grub and little mens room).

Once again thanks for the reply and if you are from the Indy area I would recommend this Route.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts