Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today im gonna go ride in the rain. Its not a heavy rain but enough. I bought rain coat a bit bigger than my jacket and sprayed my pants/boots/gloves with Water Repellent Spray. I always hear people say its tolerable and not that bad. Goin out for a couple hours. Ill report back later. :banger:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Um... so... what is the point of this thread?

If you ride in the rain you will get wet, and probably cold. The only time I've let the rain stop me on a trip is if/when my helmet fogs up so badly I cannot see.

·
Registered
277 Posts
i rode in a heavy monsoon storm in arizona on my sv650 for about 2 hours and it was awesome. afterwards i was shivering and extremely cold but i had fun during. the highway is sweet in the rain.

·
Registered
245 Posts
i rode in a heavy monsoon storm in arizona on my sv650 for about 2 hours and it was awesome. afterwards i was shivering and extremely cold but i had fun during. the highway is sweet in the rain.
Same. When I first got my bike last January I was in San Diego. About 2-3 weeks after getting my bike we had a solid week or two of HEAVY downpours and incredibly strong crosswinds (I was easily being pushed from one side of the road to the other, f*cking scary!). My car was in Virginia. My bike was my only vehicle there and I still needed to go in to work.

People on base thought I was some kind of a badass for riding in every day, if only I had a choice.. It sucked, but I'll never be skittish about riding in a little rain storm again.

·
BOTM Winner 03/13
3,143 Posts
I prefer not to ride in the rain (I'm sure most of you are the same), but we get lots of it here so I end up doing it regularly. It certainly makes you realise just how important it is to be very smooth with the controls and look well ahead of your position on the road!

·
Registered
452 Posts
I really enjoy riding in the rain. Even with great rain gear the water finds a way to get in, but if you set out with the acceptance of that you will have a good time.

Tips:
Smooth with every input (throttle, steering, brakes)
Avoid rainbow colored puddles... they contain oil and want to eat you
Do chain maintenance more frequently if you ride in the rain a lot

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I actually miss riding in the rain. I just hate having to clean the whole entire bike off afterwards. I purchased a waterproof 3 liner jacket this year too and would like to see how well it works.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Got caught in the rain yesturday unprepared and it sucked, but on a good note I recently purchased a scorpion exo helmet and the "fog proof" visor worked like a charm!! Not one hint of fogging on the inside and I never once had to raise the visor for fresh air.

·
Registered
8 Posts
highly suggest a one piece rain suite if you're to do that more than a novelty.

And I agree: riding in the rain will make you a better rider.

A few things to consider:
When the roads first get wet is when it is the slipperiest: the accumulation oil leaks on dry pavement finally raises on top of the water and creates a strong surface tension that makes hydroplaning much easier.
Always try to stay where the tire tracks from other vehicles are: that's where is the driest.
Use rear brakes more often and a little more pronounced.
Use good set of tires: like the Pilot Road2's or the new 3's

Just a thought...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Got caught in the rain yesturday unprepared and it sucked, but on a good note I recently purchased a scorpion exo helmet and the "fog proof" visor worked like a charm!! Not one hint of fogging on the inside and I never once had to raise the visor for fresh air.
scorpion is soooo under-rated. I love their helmets and they are a 3rd the cost of a shoei or arai, and come with more little features and such. plus like you said their ever-clear visors are awesome and never fog.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
First time I've ever ridden in the rain was my last track day. It was interesting.

·
Registered
452 Posts
First time I've ever ridden in the rain was my last track day. It was interesting.
Many years ago on my Suzuki TL1000R the skies were ominous over Thunderhill, but they never let out more than a few sprinkles. I was mildly disappointed, as I was hoping to do a track day in the rain for the experience of it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Some of my favorite riding is when it's 75-80 degrees and raining.

It's a great time to practice sliding the back end out a little bit. Definitely shows you the toleration of the bike and how it acts when you lose traction in the rear.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Some of my favorite riding is when it's 75-80 degrees and raining.

It's a great time to practice sliding the back end out a little bit. Definitely shows you the toleration of the bike and how it acts when you lose traction in the rear.

Agreed. I found it a bit less nerve wrecking. There's not AS MUCH of a risk for to grab and highsidez you. It was a good time.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Did you have to buy rain tires?

I have to say, I'm not terribly against the idea of doing a track day in the rain, but it isn't something I look forward to either.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Did you have to buy rain tires?

I have to say, I'm not terribly against the idea of doing a track day in the rain, but it isn't something I look forward to either.
I was running my 2ct's. I even had my rear on backwards and felt I had descent traction. I may have been subconsciously sandbagging. I was running in intermediate and not getting passed so...

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys for all the responses,

I got back awhile ago but hadnt been able to get online until now. Overall i had a great time. None of my buddies would come out with me so it was a solo ride. I probably wont be making it a usual thing. I was definitly quite a bit more hesitant to lean over in the turns and lay into the throttle. But I did gain some more confidence and im hoping it will transition into dry riding.

I DID get wet lol and at one point it was coming down fairly hard so I hid under a bank drive through, Its saturday they were closed. haha. I do need better tires. Right now ive got bridgestone battleax's. Ive only had my bike for a little over a year now but im learning everyday and riding with very skilled riders from my local shop. Every time I ride im finding out more and more how nimble our 600's are.

Thanks for reading everyone. Also i used to see guys riding in the rain when i was out in my car and say WHY would you do that. Im converted now. :banger:

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts