Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have been meaning to do it for a long time, and I have finally set a date to do it. I'm doing it the first weekend in May with a buddy who has done it 8 times already, and I'm pumped. Anything you guys think I should know? I am going through a 3 hour class before the jump, so obviously I will get the rundown from them. Im going static, well...actually I'm going some way different from static where you wear normal gear and the instructor pulls the cord for you. I dont want to have another guy strapped to my back, doesnt sound fun.

I'd love to hear some stories, etc. I will post pictures of course after I'm done.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
crotch_rocket_pilot said:
I'd love to hear some stories, etc. I will post pictures of course after I'm done.
I did this a while back when I was 20 or 21 and it was a life-altering experience - you're gonna love it, but stay focused.

I did the same kind of static jump as you're going to do because I too didn't want to be strapped to someone else. You won't get much freefall (unless you have serious problems... he he), but you'll get the full adrenaline rush stepping out the door. They told me to count to five then look up to make sure the thing was opened. Apparently I counted to 3 very fast just as I stepped off and instead of four I said another word that starts with F. Well, at least I got out of the plane, which was a hunk of junk Cessna that I was only too happy to depart from - I felt like I had a better chance on my own than waiting for that clunker to land again.

One thing to be careful about is not pushing off the step too hard when you jump. I did this on my first jump and cart wheeled a little. They were kind of worried because of all the cords from the 'chute rushing past my head/neck area due to my bad position.

Because of that slight blunder, they let me hold onto the wing for my second jump. I stepped out, grabbed the strut and just hung onto the plane for a few seconds before dropping - this is quite easy to do since the force of the wind props you up a lot. Lots of fun up to this point...

My problems started when I came in to land. We were all assigned numbers and I think I was "jumper #2." An instructor on the ground gives directions for the noobs so they land in a safe place. Anyway, they were looking at jumper #3 and kept calling him "jumper #2." So I was following directions for someone else. This resulted in me being directed into a clump of trees. My canopy caught the highest one, but I took a good crash position and only scratched my face and hands a little from going through some light branches - I'd say I was a little lucky there. I was left hanging a bit. Somebody came to help but I was pretty high up. I pulled the cord to cut away the main canopy with my legs and one arm wrapped around the trunk of the tree. Naturally, I dropped, but was lucky again and somehow landed my little butt on a big branch. I'm pretty small (5'4" or so and 140lbs - less then) and could barely get my arms around the tree.

So now I'm free of the 'chute, but still about 20feet up the tree with the pack on my back and the emergency 'chute still in it - this is pretty heavy. I started to climb down. I only got about 5 feet down when I heard a disturbing snap and realised the branch had given way. I put my arms around the tree but they were too stumpy to get a good grip. I slid down a bit but pushed off it when I realised I wasn't going to stop. This resulted in some cuts and very nasty slivers, but the real damage was when I hit the ground. I had the presence of mind to bend my knees and try to roll with it, but the still heavy pack landed on me just after I hit the ground and I feel a very sharp sting in my lower back. I walked away from it, had a beer and went home in a lot of pain.

The next day I managed to sit through a wedding but had to leave the reception due to the pain. I went to the hospital one day later and was shocked to see a compression fracture on a couple of vertebrae. They were only squished about a millimetre, but enough that I couldn't really walk without agony for 3 days. It healed completely after about 7 weeks, but I was able to run and stuff after 3 or 4.

I went skydiving one more time to prove to myself I could do it and wasn't chicken, but that was the last time. I'm glad I did it and have no regrets because after seeing those trees coming at me and thinking "this could be it," not much worries me anymore. I'm sure you'll have a great time - I did despite the accident. Just remember that ultimately only you can guarantee your own safety.

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
Don't forget to pull the cord. =]

$hit, I am a big ***** when it comes to that kinda stuff... I don't think I could hang.

Good Luck My Man!
Jason

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I told my family I was planning on jumping today and they started dividing up my stuff among themselves for after the big SPLAT!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I di it once with an instructor. It was awesome. I had the dive video taped. We were at 12 thou feet over Hollister Cali.. Perfect blue skies and I jumped with my HS friend who was turning 20 and her friend who was a stripper from West point near Sac. town. She is beautiful! I had a blast. We free fell for 1 min and 10 sec. Landed on my arse and got tangled in the chute!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Living leads to dying....might as well live while I'm here is my motto. Things like my bike and what not have become even more precious to me since I was diagnosed with rheamatoid arthritis.

I know I wont be doing things like skydiving and riding my bike forever, hell...there are days I can harldy ride one now. I had to sell my first two bikes because of my condition, and at one point I thought I would never ride again. As long as my body will let me, Im living my life to the fullest, cuz' God knows I'm going to be in a whole hella-alllota-pain when Im a old geezer, pending some medical breakthrough, lol.

good looking out though man. My famiily actually told me about this story, thats why they were divinding my goods among themselves, hehe. $%@&@ mooches, lol.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I did a tandem for my first jump. Even though I was strapped to another dude, it was
still a rush. It was a surprise for my then girlfriend, back when I was still trying to get
those panties loose every day of the week. Anyway, I told her I had a surprise for her.
We jumped in the truck and after an hour drive into the boonies, (she probably thought
something else was going to happen), we pulled into an isolated airport. Skydiving in
giant blue letters across the building. She looked at me and said, "You've gotta be
shittin' me." She thought it was a joke. I'm a prankster like that... She realized it was
for real when we walked in and confirmed our reservations. HAHA! That look on her
face was worth it! WHOO HOO! We both got videos and pictures of the jumps. I was
nervous as a jelly donut at a weight watchers convention. In my video, the camera
guy comes up and asks what am I doing today...I blurted out, "We're gonna die!",
before I even knew my mouth was moving. The video is funny as hell. I would
definately do it again if I had the time and money.

GO FOR IT MAN!!!

If it's your time to die, then what better way to go...in a massive wave of addrenaline.
Besides, it wouldn't even hurt. The splat would be so fast and instant, the lights would
just go out....BAM!

Here's a quote for everyone:
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an
attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one
hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO WHAT A RIDE!""

·
Registered
526 Posts
I did a static line jump it was a blast. I hung out on the wing strut for about 3 sec. then my instructor told me to let go and bye bye. Its not a real skydive, but you do fall until your chute opens. Next, I want to really freefall.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Definitely do it! Even if you happen to, err, bounce, which is so improbable it's hardly worth considering, you won't be around to regret it in all likelihood; but, I'm pretty sure you'll always be wondering what it would've be like if you don't do it. Despite my not exactly ideal experience, I'd do it all over again exactly the same way if I had the choice between the crash and never doing it at all.

Just make sure when you tie the leg harnesses on that they're not too close to your boys. That thing's gonna pull pretty hard even on a static jump due to the speed of the plane and you don't want anything getting squashed.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Definately do it. I went for my first jump last year, and a month and a half I was fully licensed. I now have about 70 jumps under my belt. Another thing is I am new to riding, but so much of the stuff I learned from skydiving applies to motorcycles as well. It is one of the greatest thrills you will ever experience. If you get a chance to do free fall you will not regret that either, nothing like going 120 mph without a motor pushing you. As long as you look where you want to go and watch out for other jumpers it will be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
frankie said:
chute didnt open, broke two legs.

Are you kidding or being serious? If so, how did you get away with just two broken legs (not to say that isnt bad enough)? You have to give details, you cant just say a little. Whats the story?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts