Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, ive been riding without my lecesne for awhile now and had a few close calls..... so i decided to go get my lecense... only problem is i seen 3 people fail their tests on a croth rocket... i was just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to pass this damn thing successfully...every guy i seen fail has either failed on the cones to zig zag through or on the 90 digree turn... 2 of them were on the zig zags..... i got a bad feeling im gunna end up failing.. so if anyone has any tips please leme know....thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
You could always take the MSF class. Alot of states, not all though, will give you your endorsement if you complete the class.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
u know what.. i ttoally recommend taking the MSF course, it will more than likely, validate you for for a M class license without having to take the actual test with the state trooper. you said you had a few close calls, the MSF course will teach you how to avoid them in a better way. it will also save you 10% on your insurance.

but if u want, u can take it. practice doing a figure 8 in ummm 2 parking spots? its really tough on a sportsbike esp. if you arent so advanced. i have personally never tried it on my bike because i fear of dropping the thing. oh yeah show up in full gear or at least gloves, jackets, boots over your ankle and helmet. and be wicked wicked nice to the cop.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the problem is i am signed up for the MSF course, but i coudnt get in till sep!!!! and thats a long wait... but yes, the close calls were i have had a cop behind me and i know if i get cought without a license its not gunna be good.... but yes i plan on trying to get it today actually.... im gunna see if my buddy's dad will let me take his old cruiser to take it :p, it would be alot easier

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Practice and practice, use the DMV's test area after hours for practice,
It's basically just balance and feathering the clutch and let the engine on idle all the time.
I passed my test using the RR that way, I heard the examiner and her colleages said "This is gonna be fun," cause there were two crotchrockets that day but we passed the test in one take, their expressions were just priceless, lol.

On the other hand, try and get someone to let you borrow their 250's or small ninjas.
Goodluck!

·
Registered
907 Posts
rent out a little scooter to take it on

·
Registered
665 Posts
You sound like your psyching yourself for failure. A bad feeling you are gonna crash???

Just take it slow and try not to get nervous. It's not that hard, but would def be easier on a smaller bike like a Buell Blast or something.

·
Registered
912 Posts
although im sure the testing is different in canada, i almost got psyched for failure. everyone told me how difficulit it was, and the guy who went before me failed for the third time. i passed, first try, no problems.

·
Registered
591 Posts
its not that hard at all I was riding on and off for a couple of years then when I got my new 600rr I knew it was tiime to get leget. I did it on the rr and it wasent that bad.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
The test is easy, as they said earlier just go to the DMV and practice after hours. I did that for 3 days for about 20 minutes at a time. Come test day the lady was suprised and told me I did good and that it had been a long time that she saw someone pass it the first time through. Don't rent or borrow a smaller bike, do it on the one you are going to be riding on the street. Once you pass it will instill more confidence knowing that you passed on your bike and not an easier bike.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Definitely take the MSF. Its worth it and you will learn the parts of the test before you take them. Plus, you dont have to do it on your bike...Whats easier than that?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
dozadj said:
The test is easy, as they said earlier just go to the DMV and practice after hours. I did that for 3 days for about 20 minutes at a time. Come test day the lady was suprised and told me I did good and that it had been a long time that she saw someone pass it the first time through. Don't rent or borrow a smaller bike, do it on the one you are going to be riding on the street. Once you pass it will instill more confidence knowing that you passed on your bike and not an easier bike.
+1

You'll be surprise of what you discover about your own bike doing really slow maneuvers like that. Very intimate, lol

·
Registered
856 Posts
I had a learners permit for about 3 month's and practiced getting used to the bike on side streets and parking lots ( this isn't my first bike ). Then I went and got my license, pretty easy to be honest. Practicing on off hours when they aren't testing is a good idea too to get used to the slow weaving.

I plan to do the MSF course sometime, but my insurance agent mentioned it will only save me a dollar a year and it costs 250$ to enroll... :O

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well thanks guys for all the input... i tried to go get the license on friday... on the way there it started raining.... just a light sprinkle with like 2 clouds in the sky... but if one raindrop hits the damn course they are done doing testes for the day... im heading back on tuesday and today im gunna go there and practice for a bit..thanks guys

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maaku said:
No testing in the rain? Hope it doesn't rain while anyone's riding either. There was a light snow (melting when it hit the ground) on the day I did my test.

Lucky you.....the place i went to are complete assholes.... they told me that there is noway possible i will pass my test on my bike.... they said they have failed every guy that has ever taken it but 3.... and the 3 barly passed......way to build up my confidence eh?

·
Registered
356 Posts
take the msf course.... but honestly i really didnt learn anything there... not sayin i know everything about motorcycling, cause i dont. but the thing was a breeze, an well worth it to get my license. an the msf course goes rain or shine... i know that from experience cause it down poured on me

1 - 20 of 25 Posts