Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to the game, and I am consitently striking the ground about 6 to 8 inches behind the ball, leaving those nice divits that we all hate. Then of course I'm topping the ball and getting grounders. Any generic suggestions? I'm considering trying a lesson or 2.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
sounds like you just need to practice your swing and get confident with it. somewhere in the swing you're dropping your axis and striking the ground or pulling up and topping the ball. there are so many things that can affect the axis of your swing (ie. need bent/not bet enough, stance over the ball, grip, back position, hand position, etc...).

some classes would be very beneficial if you are gonna be plalying for a while. lucky me, my girl's grandfather is a local pro at the course near the house so i get free tips. and i try to go to the driving range a couple times a week to practice my swing.

good luck with it and keep at it. hit it between the screws and keep it in the fairway, brother!!

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
couple things.

If you are topping the ball, that usually means that you are either Lifting up your head thru impact, or your upper body is moving around too much. Its hard to explain, but when you set up for the ball and go to swing, you should start your movement at the hips. Everything will rotate around the position of the ball. A lot of new golfers will try and sway their body back, putting all their weight on their back foot and then when you push back to swing you'll end up with the club head all over the place.

just take some slow practice swings and look at what your body and feet are doing. your feet should stay planted, don't pick them up in your swing. A LOT of people do this. Also, square up to the ball..get your feet set and put the club head behind the ball. At this position your upperbody should stay about the same angle. another wards when you go to swing, you shouldn't be lifting up or down, but rotate from the hips around. Try and make your swing nice and slow and smooth. Take it back, get set, then follow thru the ball.

hopefully this makes sense

H

·
0 Posts
it takes practice... although i have practiced a bit and i am still bad..

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
i never had any lessons. I went to the driving range all the time to practice my own swing my own way bc I cant stand when someone (even if they are professional) tries to tell me to do it this way or change this up. After like 2 months at the range I went and played a round with some of my buddies who are good (which also made me better). And now I can shoot around 87-89 for 18 holes

·
Registered
52 Posts
First: go to the range and practice, practice, practice.

Second: get a good coach and take a video camera and record your swing... the camera doesn't lie... that will tell you where to focus and the coach will get you into the right techniques to practice.

Third: remember this is only a game, and relax... often times it's getting into the 'groove' that will allow you to really get into the game.

All that sounds a whole lot like riding motorcycles well. (range=track time, lessons and watching your technique=professional lessons and video taping your technique, and finding your groove=getting into the zone when riding)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips everyone. I am really novice here, so I'm going to find some time for the driving range. I don't think my game was helped at all by the case of beer me and my buddy went through either. It's just a good time for me, I'm not so serious about it that I'll complain about not making par on the course. Thanks again for the tips, I'll try and remember them my next time out! Next time I go ball whacking. whack whack whack.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Of course! Notice that I didn't ever mention that I had a bad day! Man o man was that golf cart tough... I shall not present incriminating evidence on this forum.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you really want to get good you should get some instruction. Preferably video feedback instruction. It can be a little pricey but I gaurantee it to be more valuable than any club in your bag. It will do wonders for your game. Especially if your just starting and you haven't engrained a bunch of bad habits and bad form. Try to find something like www.GolfTec.com or www.BogartGolf.com in your area.

If you interested in playing good golf one of the worst things you can do is go to the range and practice a bad swing and bad habits. If your new to the game your hitting the ground first or topping the ball because you have an inconsistent swing. An instructor will be able to help you build an easily repeatable swing.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Do not mean to hijack the post... but, I have asked before if anybody wants to get together for a round, let me know.

I work on a little course in North Georgia, Hammer's Glen G&CC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts