Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I'm gonna pull the trigger and be the proud owner of a 03 cb600rr. First bike. Its a bud of mines, I've seen it before always thought it was a pretty sweet looking bike.

As mentioned in my thread in the troubleshooting section. http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=135283. It has some starting issues. That from what he says are completely resolved by jump starting it. It needs a jump every time to start it with one exception: he has ran it awhile before and put 35-50 miles on it, turned it off it wouldn't turn back on immediately, but he let it cool down and it fired up. So having searched the forum, im thinking it could be the battery? or the stator?

My questions:
Is the stator hard to replace?
What should I check when I go take a look at the bike, besides using a voltmeter to check the battery?
Anything else I should look at, upon initial inspection?

(I'm completely new to bikes) I know everything there is to know about mustangs, so I have a general knowledge of mechanics and how motors work etc. Actually had to replace the stator on my old 5.0 mustang ( pain in the ashe ), hopefully if it is the stator on this bike it won't be so difficult to replace.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
123 Posts
First, being new to bikes, you'd be much better off getting a bike without issues. Unless it is really REALLY cheap, its not worth it.

Second, a new rider does NOT belong on a 600cc supersport. Find a nice used ninja 250 or 500, or a suzuki gs500 or similar, and actually learn how to ride properly before jumping on a race replica.

·
Registered
801 Posts
My 1st bike was the 600rr and many members here also started with a 600. What you need to do is, don't go crazy and try to wheelie the bike on a residential street or ride more than your riding capabilities. "Respect the bike and it's power". Take the MSF course and you should be good to go. I got a 03 and the problems that some bikes have is the regulator/rectifier or bad battery. With the volt-meter , rev your bike up to 5k rpm's and make sure your getting 12-14volts. Make sure your radiator fan is working. Bike will overheat faster if it doesn't work. On my bike i changed the rectifier and put an 05 rectifier and it worked. Later i found out it was my headlight bulbs that drained my batt. I guess my rectifier was good to begin with.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sorry, but "respect the bike" is a load of crap.
You can baby it around and possibly survive, but you wont be learning much.

a 600rr is a race bike with lights on it. it is NOT a good bike to learn on. Is it a good idea to give a 16 year old a ferrari? do pro racers start on 600cc supersports?

For every one guy on the internet who "started on a 600 and did fine" there are many more who wiped out, and are either too embarrassed to post about it (after ignoring the advice from experienced riders to start small), or they CANT post about it.

MSF course is most certainly a good idea though.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think you're both right to an extent. You can also make the comparison to owning your first gun. Does owning a .22 make it any less dangerous than own a .45? They can both kill you right? Respect for the power that the gun possesses is an important factor to staying alive, as well as a gun owners safety course. A 250 or 500 can be just as deadly as a 600RR if you're acting like a jack**s and not respecting the power that it possesses. At least thats my opinion.

·
Registered
224 Posts
03's have a problem with frying the voltage rectifier/regulator, which will give problems when trying to start the bike. I would follow rassilons advice and get a diff bike unless your getting it reallllllllly cheap

1 - 9 of 9 Posts