Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing my local craigslist and found an 06 CBR 600rr with 7000 miles on it for 3K. Here is the description...

*This is a 2006 Honda CBR600rr with just over 7000 miles. Bike is in good mechanical condition, runs. shifts and rides smoothly. I'm the second owner, this bike has a salvage title and needs some work to be retagged, although i have many of the parts. Frame, forks and are Strait.I'm in school and finances are tight.*

The work consist of replacing a radiator which he has and a few fairing pieces need replaced but we all know how easy that is. Is this a good buy mind the salvage title for insurance purpose's I would get liabilty. Inputs? Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Unless you want a project, I'd save up a little more and get something that hasn't been wrecked. Sounds like it wouldn't take much to get this one working, but there will most likely be problems down the road.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Salvage title = Headache unless you want the bike to be a track whore only

·
Registered
33 Posts
Pass dude.

I have a personal rule. Never respond to an ad with misspellings. If they can't take the time to use a spell checker, they're lazy and probably treated whatever they're selling with the same attitude. If they just don't know how to spell it, they're stupid and for obvious reasons - move on. He says the frame is "Strait"...like George Strait? WTF? If he doesn't know how to spell the word correctly, he probably doesn't know how to check for frame damage either.

·
Registered
90 Posts
just saw that same ad. Personally i wouldnt want to have to deal with a salvage title but like he said if you were just looking for a stunt bike or something it might be ok. Cant hurt to go check it out. I would obviously try to go a little lower maybe 2500 and see what he says.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Pass dude.

I have a personal rule. Never respond to an ad with misspellings. If they can't take the time to use a spell checker, they're lazy and probably treated whatever they're selling with the same attitude. If they just don't know how to spell it, they're stupid and for obvious reasons - move on. He says the frame is "Strait"...like George Strait? WTF? If he doesn't know how to spell the word correctly, he probably doesn't know how to check for frame damage either.
LOL yea guess he really does need finances for school then haha

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha thanks for all the input...It won't hurt to go take a look at it which I will to see what the deal is with it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You can probably find a good deal on one that is in GOOD shape. I picked up an 06 at the end of December for $4500 after taxes, registration... Just gotta look around and find someone that 'needs' to sell.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Pass dude.

what he said....

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh there's plenty of folks practically giving there bikes away at decent prices I figure a $3000 bike doesn't sound to bad just that salvaged title is what is really making me think. This wouldn't be my first bike so I know all about the selling and buying part of looking for a bike. I guess I could save up for another month or so it might be better in the long run!

·
Registered
131 Posts
my experience with crashed bikes that the seller says "won't take much to get running" usually end up "taking a lot to get running."

if he could fix the bike for a few hundred bucks and a few hours labor, why wouldnt he and then sell it as a working bike for more?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my 05 CBR600rr on craiglist for $3500 and it had a clean title and came with front and rear wheel stands and a 300 dollar joe rocket leather. So you can find better deals.

·
Registered
383 Posts
You might have a hard time insuring a bike with a salvaged title. Some companies won't do comp or collision on a salvaged bike b/c they are harder to value. If you can wait, save some more dough and get one with a clear title. I bought my '07 last October for $5500 and it is mint and only had 1100 miles. Deals are out there. You just need to look for them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just another quick bit of advice on purchasing from an ad. When a seller mentions something out of the ordinary (you'll be able to pick up on this when you view a lot of ads for similar products) like "Clutch doesn't grind", has more than likely had EXACTLY that problem before with the vehicle. If they say "Tires have a lot of life"...likely, they don't.

Personally I also stay away from the "just replaced the rear tire" sellers. This shows they're fine with cutting corners, whether it's from principal or lack of funds. I've found vehicles from these people usually were purchased from "a buddy" and wrecked, then fixed with cheap parts without telling an insurance company.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
yea i would pass that deal.
i got my 05 with 9 K odo it has some scratches, but rides perfectly straight and is in perfect mech. condition. 1,300 bux.. i traded an engine for it. CA18DET.

offer that guy like 1000 bux...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts