Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the board.. Been checkin out the search tab for awhile thought i'd finally register. Anyway my question is if this is a alright deal or if i should wait for a better.. I'm looking at an 04 600rr with 1,300 miles.. The kid that had it dropped it not too hard around a turn and banged up the left mid fairings just scrapes and the lower fairngs would also need to be replaced since he took them off and sold them for whatever reason. I'm very handy when it comes to body work and i'm sure i could get the fairings back on and looking good for under $100.. i'll buy crappy cheap lowers off ebay or something and fix'em up. Other then that the bike is in perfect shape, with flush mounted signals, frame sliders, eliminator kit and akapovic exhaust .. He is asking $5,500 and is willing to throw in a matching HJC helmet with tinted visor, and joe rocket carbon fiber knuckle gloves. This will be my first bike so i'm not really looking for prefection.. i just love the 600rrs.. best lookin bikes in my opinion. What do you guys think.. worth it, As of right now i'm leaning for it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So i'll take that as a good deal.. And i aint tellin u where its at.. I call shotgun

I basicly figure you subtract the price of all the extras that i planned on doing anyway, the helmet and all that then add the price that its gonna cost me to get it back to a normal non-dropped look.. it'll be a 04 cbr 600rr with 1,300miles for about $5,300.. I'm thinkin i can't beat that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
lol, sounds like a real good deal to me. I just paid 5500 for an 03 with 6k. Probally not a good deal in Cali, but a hell of a deal around here. Yours is strait out a steal. Even if you bought all new fairings you would be in to it for 6500 and have a practicly new bike with a few mods already!

·
Registered
645 Posts
get it, you can get the fairings off ebay really cheap. sounds like a deal, you should jump on ASAP, before its gone. good luck

·
Registered
83 Posts
lol... not one of you jumped on the RR being his first bike yet!

Im not qualified yet... as its my first and Im new too...

Whats this board coming too.... guess its late...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Lol, didnt mean that at all. It was in all ways my first bike of any kind, and at this point I feel I made a good decision. You will see as you get addicted to the boards here that it is ritual for everyone to jump on the RR as a first bike... just a 600RR.net inside joke i guess

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds like a deal to me! on a side note, that is a major steal hear in Cali. People hear try to sell there bikes for ridiculous amounts of money!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Alright, here's the deal man...

You can do the bodywork, and you'll bank some cash on that, no worries. The thing is, unless you have told him you do this kind of stuff, the man has no clue. I'd definately do some quick searching for what fairings would cost the typical person, and tell him you want the bike, but it's going to cost you $XXXX dollars to fix it up to a respecible bike again. Shoot him an offer of $5200 since you have to mess with all the fixing up before you can even ride it again.

Worst case scenario, the guy says no, he can't go any lower. However, almost every seller uses a bit of a buffer for reasons like this. Usually if you want $5k, you start around $5,500, and see what happens. If he won't go lower, you're still getting a decent deal on the bike... but why not push it?

That being said...
First things first, this bike's been dropped... which in all honesty is just fine depending on what it looks like. However, now you have to do your homework. Be positive this frame is not scraped, scratched, dented, or crooked. If you don't yet know how to ride a sportbike (no offense) bring a friend that can check it out for you. Make sure it rides fine, and when you take your hands from the handlebars it doesn't turn on it's own or anything crazy like that. Make sure there's no significant rattles.... Look for broken parts that will add up in repairs.

Nearly every bike that I've seen go down has scars left somewhere. If you buy the bike, you will see some sooner or later is my guess, however insignificant they may be. I'd say depending on your location it's a decent deal. I've seen better deals for bikes in better condition, but, I've also seen plenty of bikes sell for much higher. Like I said, it's all depending on your location.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Oh snap!

I forgot something major...
Check the engine case covers on each side of the bike. With the side fairings off the bike (no problems here, hehe) let the bike run and run a white paper towl along the side gaskets to make sure no oil is leaking. It is rare, but I've dealt with a cracked engine from smacking onto the case cover, and it's not a pretty sight. You can also check the back tire for oil drip, it'll show up if it's been dripping while riding.

Don't let all of this stuff scare you off, I just want to put some ideas out there for you to look at. Good luck, and let us know how you go.

·
Registered
604 Posts
sounds like a good deal to me.
+1 on what me2 said bring someone who knows a thing or two about bikes with u when looking at it.
a 600RR may be too much for a 1st bike but just be smart. buy the best gear u can afford and don't ride over your own abilities. and take the MSF course. G/L, ride safe. oh...and welcome to the board.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts