1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Interested to see what comes of this

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Who's the one giving his money away this time??

I really love their bikes, but something has to be really wrong when their project fails attempt after attempt.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't exactly blame HD for cutting ties with Buell. Their goals and purposes were way too far apart. As for his own venture with EBR, yeah, he messed that up...

The article says that Liquid Asset Partners bought EBR as a whole for relatively pennies, and hopes to peddle them off soon anyway to someone else. I guess EBR is too much of a liability for anybody to hold on to these days.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Very interesting to see how the company will do without HD. Maybe with a limited quantity the demand will be high enough to get a quick turnover for fast cash.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty poorly. Buell started EBR after getting dropped by HD and failed that gig. That's why it's surprising to see someone else pick up the tab after Buell's two failed attempts.

·
Registered
966 Posts
100% sure he'll stick another vtwin in whatever they create if they get back going again so I couldn't care less.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
I can't exactly blame HD for cutting ties with Buell. Their goals and purposes were way too far apart. As for his own venture with EBR, yeah, he messed that up...

The article says that Liquid Asset Partners bought EBR as a whole for relatively pennies, and hopes to peddle them off soon anyway to someone else. I guess EBR is too much of a liability for anybody to hold on to these days.
Part of the article states that apart from building the 2016 bike they will be looking for new investors, which means (at least to me) that the this proyect is not complete and is still not viable.

You don't start a business looking for investors, you first look for investors then you start your business... Rushing is never good, even less in this case.

(just my opinion)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whatever his business strategy is, it's going to be tough luring investors with his track record. Makes sense for him to lay low and do limited production until he's finally got a sure foothold in the industry.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Why the hate for v-twins?
Not my thing. I think vtwins sounds like crap and more cylinders for a given displacement is always a good thing.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Ew ugly.. not bad tho 414 wet?

Down a little on hp vs ducati i think?

·
BOTM Winner Jan 2015
1,960 Posts
It's hard to compete with very well established brands in an already saturated market place. Maybe he'll pull something out of his ass again and keep it going...who knows.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,787 Posts
he's a novelty, nobody takes the bikes seriously, and some of his wacky ideas are plain stupid and don't work, but he won't give up on them.

he's too stubborn to make it work in the business, and he's just proving it over and over.

either put out something that the average sport bike shopper is interested in, or build bikes for yourself. the arena he's trying to compete in has no room for a bike like his. the top four are way too good

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
he's a novelty, nobody takes the bikes seriously, and some of his wacky ideas are plain stupid and don't work, but he won't give up on them.

he's too stubborn to make it work in the business, and he's just proving it over and over.

either put out something that the average sport bike shopper is interested in, or build bikes for yourself. the arena he's trying to compete in has no room for a bike like his. the top four are way too good
This 100%, except I think it's top five. If you can build a bike that makes someone want to go elsewhere, they will. Look at BMW; they were well established as a grandpa brand until they released the S1000RR in 2010. You'd never see a "real" sportbike rider shell out that kind of money for a sportbike from a brand their dads buy until it was clearly a better bike that (at the time) no one offered. Now you see BMW sportbikes everywhere, in all different age groups, lifestyles, etc. and they sell a bunch of different sporty bikes in all configurations and are popular regardless of your age. All in 7 years.

And now the Japanese manufactures started making these expensive, limited availability "SP" models that sell out because they realized there was a market for expensive, but technologically advanced, models.

So if you build the right bike, it will sell. Buell hasn't, or didn't do it in time to save them.

It's hard to compete with very well established brands in an already saturated market place. Maybe he'll pull something out of his ass again and keep it going...who knows.

I disagree. Look at Aprilia, Ducati and even MV Augusta to name a few: they sell small volume but highly sought after models for a premium price and still (sort of) make it. Erik is a great engineer but a terrible businessman and after all these years still won't give up a few little things to get his main ideas out there. Until he figures that out he'll forever be doomed to fail.

·
BOTM Winner Jan 2015
1,960 Posts
I disagree. Look at Aprilia, Ducati and even MV Augusta to name a few: they sell small volume but highly sought after models for a premium price and still (sort of) make it. Erik is a great engineer but a terrible businessman and after all these years still won't give up a few little things to get his main ideas out there. Until he figures that out he'll forever be doomed to fail.

I would classify all three of those as "well established", EB has never even come close to those.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts