Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I installed my ballasts and fired everything up. They look GREAT and throw a ton of light. I got 4300k bulbs that came with the Denso ballasts. I wanted to move them up to a bluer light and I was thinking of tossing in 6000k bulbs. Now my question is where do I find the real bulbs? I don't want to use ebay because all of the bulbs look like they are fake. I want real HID bulbs. Do they sell the bulbs in stores like Pep Boys or Auto Zone? I would rather go to a store than order online so I can see the bulbs first.

·
Registered
865 Posts
hmmmm...im a little confused what you mean about "real" HID bulbs. it sounds like what you have (denso hid ballast and 4300K capsules) ARE HIDs..its just that you have 4300K capsules giving you a "stock" looking yellow color beam. also...I wouldnt recommend that you go from 4300K to 6000K if you are more concerned about overall light output because the higher temperature you go the less light output youre going to get. unless, you are more concerned with color than you are with light output, I wouldnt bother switching. I have 6000K HIDs in my car, its a nice bluish white color, but the overall light output isnt too great. if you must, in my opinion the perfect balance of color and light output is from 5000K HIDs (simular to the color of s2000 headlights). The color of the beam is pure white..it might not light up the road as well as 4300K, but they are better than 6000K and dont have the stock looking "yellow" color of 4300K. im actually getting my 5000K HID kit sometime this week, ill post pics when i can. BTW...where did you end up mounting your left ballest?

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
he got both ballast between the headlights

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I meant was capsules, sorry. The 4300k's throw about three times as much light as the stock headlamps. 6000k would throw about twice as much. Either way it'll be brighter than before. I'll read more about it before I decide on a set of higher temp bulbs.

What I meant by "fake bulbs" was how do I tell the difference between the bulbs and capsules just by looking at them on eBay? Look for the long filament that comes off the HID capsule I guess? I just don't want to spend money on something and it not be the right part.

For the ballast placement, moeman is correct. The Denso ballasts are thin enough that if you dremmel out one of the platic tabs between the headlight assembly you can fit both ballasts side by side.

·
Registered
225 Posts
What brand of HID did you get and where did you buy it. Been looking into getting a set. I had Hella 6000k in one of my 03' GTI's and really like the light output.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Get anything at 4300k but nothing higher than 5000k. Trust me. The color not only gets ricier as you go up, but loses the full potential of HID's. The 4300k but out a nice light bluish light giving you the brightest white you're going to get and always buy OEM if you can. (I.e, Denso, Phillips, Bosch)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts