Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here.. been reading the forums for about 4-5 months now! Been learning a lot and trying to gain some mechanical skills from the DIYs. So thanks in advance if you've posted something of value to help others.

On another note, just got a GoPro Hero 4 Silver and stoked about filming. I'd say i'm an intermediate rider, so I won't be doing anything crazy just yet. Was wondering what everyone's settings/words of wisdom were on the settings of GoPros, best places to mount, etc.

Cheers,
AJ

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a Hero 4 Session and I use the default 1080p, 30 FPS. It gives me 2 hours 30 minutes of recording time (32 GB microSD card), with a full battery. Sample (so it is only 27 seconds long) unlisted video on my youtube channel:

Helmet mount works best IMO (see attached pics.) I have tried mounting it on handle bars and vibration is way too much (even with a RAM mount). Tank mount is not an option for me because of my tinted windscreen. Once I get on the track, will use a rear mount for body position. For now, again, helmet mount works great. As you can see from the 2nd picture below, I used a 3M sticky mount and a 3 way pivot arm (that you unfortunately have to order separately, see third pic.).

NOTE that my GoPro is only 2 weeks old, so I certain battery life (and consequently recording time) will go down. Hope this info. helps, ride safe.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
60fps will give you a smoother video if you want to play with slow motion or use a software stabilizer to reduce shaking. I also prefer 60fps in general for my bike videos.
My favorite mount is the front mirror mount. It sits low on the fairings in place of the rear view mirror and gives a better feeling of speed and corners lean angle. Shaking is not too bad since the fairings are quite rigid on that spot working with the front suspension.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
If you're riding in a group and want to film other riders then I suggest narrowing the FOV if your camera supports it. Wide angle makes people look far away.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you're riding in a group and want to film other riders then I suggest narrowing the FOV if your camera supports it. Wide angle makes people look far away.
Good point. Not all cameras allow different FOV like GoPro, btw. The Hero4 has wide-medium-narrow FOVs at 1080p/60fps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts