Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike got knocked over by some punk and now I want to get the tail and the front cowl ( the part that holds the headlights and has the blinkers attached to it) painted. I got a quote for 400 to paint them both. I thought that was rediculas so I'm going to get a quote somewhere else.

My question is how much do you think I should have to pay?
Also if it is going to cost me 400 how much would it cost to buy both pieces brand new. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
It would cost way more than 400 to buy those two pieces. Do they just need paint or do they need some sanding and fiberglass as well? 400 is not a bad price at all from a decent paint shop. They probably charge 5-6 hrs for a job like that and at a minimum of 60-70 per hr and then add price of paint and other materials you've got your 400 bucks real quick.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GA_RR said:
It would cost way more than 400 to buy those two pieces. Do they just need paint or do they need some sanding and fiberglass as well? 400 is not a bad price at all from a decent paint shop. They probably charge 5-6 hrs for a job like that and at a minimum of 60-70 per hr and then add price of paint and other materials you've got your 400 bucks real quick.
No they don't need any work done to the plastic. I want them both sanded and repainted. I figure if they just try to spray over the scratches you will see the difference in color where they sprayed and where it is old paint.

If I wanted to sand them myself and then have them spray them you think that would save me a good amount of cash? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
600rr0504 said:
GA_RR said:
No they don't need any work done to the plastic. I want them both sanded and repainted. I figure if they just try to spray over the scratches you will see the difference in color where they sprayed and where it is old paint.

If I wanted to sand them myself and then have them spray them you think that would save me a good amount of cash? Thanks for the info.
If would if they allow that but most places will not want to do that. The problem is, if you don't prep the properly and then their paint looks bad they don't want to be blamed for poor prep work. Or, vise vesa, if they do a shitty paint job, they may blame the prep work even if that wasn't the case. You'd be screwed either way....know what I mean. It's all a matter of liability professional places won't want to deal with.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand. It makes sence but it does kinda suck. I wouldn't mind taking a sunday to sand them down. O well I hope I can find a place that will give me a better deal. I have a few more places to check out. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hondaf4iguy said:
Local shops charge 50% the cost of new, regardless of condition.

Not sure what you mean by that. You mean regardless of what condition I bring them in. Like if they are cracked or you mean if I sand them? Either way I know getting them painted is my best bet because like others said it will cost me alot more to buy new. I just hope I can find a place that will cost less then 400.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PreppyR6 said:
used parts - ebay
I could do that but I'm such a nut when it comes to paint I dont want to buy something that has scratches or swirl marks. I'll take a look though. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
600rr0504 said:
PreppyR6 said:
used parts - ebay
I could do that but I'm such a nut when it comes to paint I dont want to buy something that has scratches or swirl marks. I'll take a look though. Thanks alot.
If you want it to be "perfect" then, your gonna have to cough up the money and just have it either painted or buy a new fairing...i personally would just have it painted. 400 bucks isnt bad at all!

·
Registered
541 Posts
*take this with a grain of salt*

It's undermining the system a bit but I would go straight to the painters at your local car dealership and shoot the breeze with em a bit and see if they do custom work on the side. a LOT of painters will do work a lot cheaper if it's just between you and them. Plus they'll show you their portfolio, some jobs they've done recently and you can realy get a feel for them and feel a bit more comfortable about who is painting your ride and what kindof quality you'll get out of it as well as saving yourself some cash.

If your into making new friends this is how I do it. I've had quite a bit of stuff painted.. Won't have my bike painted till next year (after I scratch the pretty new paint off it with rocks this summer) but I alraedy know the person thatl'l do it. heh.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a little update not that it is a big deal but I got a painter. I found another local shop my uncle recommended to me. He is going to fix a crack that I got when it was knocked over and paint both pieces for 250. He was really into bikes and said it was a small job (compared to a car) so 250 would be fine. I was so excited I ran home got the paint code and ripped the leff middle fairing off for him because he wanted another piece to compare with as he paints.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts