Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so here's the story:

I was riding to school thursday afternoon around 6pm and was in the parking lot about to pull in to the motorcyle parking. i see some broken glass on the road the last minute so i avoid as much of it as i can and proceed to park the bike. i put the kickstand down, take off my helmet and i hear a hissing sound. waddya know its my f'in rear tire!!! i panic for a moment trying to figure out what to do. fortunately the air leak/hole was small and i decide to ride it easy to the kawasaki dealer a mile away and they're closing!! so i just slow ride it home about 5mins away and just barely make it to my garage safely.

my question is, is it ok to plug the hole with those flat-tire plug kits, put some air and ride it back to the shop to get it replaced? a rider friend said he did this no problem on his bike before.

also how much mileage is average for the rear tire? i'm at 5000miles and that tire is worn-out! damn Dunlops!

·
Hitz eit from z back
5,357 Posts
5000 miles is actually pretty good, I got about 3500 and the rear hit the indicator marks and at about 3600-3700 I changed them out for Qualifiers. You should be able to patch them up and make it to the shop fine, I would just take it easy since the tire is worn out and you have a plug in it.

·
Simmonds steak Do not leave the kitchen without it
14,811 Posts
i would take the tire off and get it replaced. Not only is it safer but it also saves you money. They usually charge a lot less for a tire thats already off.
Mine was 79.99 per tire on the bike, 19.99 per tire off the bike.

·
Photoshop Guru
729 Posts
i would take the tire off and get it replaced. Not only is it safer but it also saves you money. They usually charge a lot less for a tire thats already off.
Mine was 79.99 per tire on the bike, 19.99 per tire off the bike.
at a shop here intown, they only charged me $75 for both front and rear and ON the bike. Just depends on what shop ya take it to.

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
just buy a new rear dude. If that plug fails, its gonna be a LOT more expensive.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you got 5000+ miles on the tire you need a new one anyway so buy one and get it installed. Im lucky if I get 3000-3500 on my rear pp tire. Of course I probally ride pretty hard some times. If you have a stand put your bike on a stand or borrow one take the rear tire off take it to the shop buy and new tire and have them install it on the rim and put it back on yourself way cheaper.gabe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts