Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got caught going 48 in a 25 last night. There was really no room to bail out on this cop, there was a speed trap setup in long beach last night. There must have been atleast 8-9 bike cops on broadway last night. What sucks is broadway is a main street, its almost the main strip of long beach... but because there are some houses is that area the speed limit 25mph. The cop wasnt even nice about either, he just kept talking about how I was going to kill somebody and all this other [email protected]. It took all my strength not to start being a smart @$$.

Anyways 48 in a 25 is almost double the speed limit, this is the first ticket on my bike but I have a previous ticket in my car going 51 in a 40. You think this is something they will pull my license for? Im thinking they might want to make an example due to all the people that speed regularly on broadway.

·
Registered
541 Posts
23 over is still in the safe zone. Even though it's a 25, going double the speed limit isn't as important as staying under 30 over. A rule of thumb that works for me most everywhere I go is if you are under 30 over the speed limit you will keep your liscence and get out of it with a fine and if you have a lawyer handy, for $300ish you can make it disapear entirely.

Just go ask for the fine sheet and pay the bill. I don't live there but here, anything 30 or higher is mandatory court.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wouldn't stress over it. I got a ticket for going 88mph on a 55mph and just got a ticket. To be honest with you, I would fight it, write a letter to the judge and there is atleast a 80% you will win. Check out http://www.ticketassassin.com/ let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
I would not try fighting, be a waste of time I bet.

Jason

·
Registered
539 Posts
npro said:
I got caught going 48 in a 25 last night. There was really no room to bail out on this cop, there was a speed trap setup in long beach last night. There must have been atleast 8-9 bike cops on broadway last night. What sucks is broadway is a main street, its almost the main strip of long beach... but because there are some houses is that area the speed limit 25mph. The cop wasnt even nice about either, he just kept talking about how I was going to kill somebody and all this other [email protected] It took all my strength not to start being a smart @$$.

Anyways 48 in a 25 is almost double the speed limit, this is the first ticket on my bike but I have a previous ticket in my car going 51 in a 40. You think this is something they will pull my license for? Im thinking they might want to make an example due to all the people that speed regularly on broadway.
Over 20mph is considered wreckless here in Cali.. Get a lawyer and you should be fine.

·
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone
4,495 Posts
I got 2 30 overs...Not a big deal, jsut get a lawyer and have him handle everything. How much $ was the ticket if you dont mind me asking? My 30 over was $198, and the other was $144. They were both 6 pts each. 1 was knocked down to disfunction speedometer, 2pts, and the other was knocked down to imprudent speed, 3pts.

·
Registered
577 Posts
npro said:
I got caught going 48 in a 25 last night. There was really no room to bail out on this cop, there was a speed trap setup in long beach last night. There must have been atleast 8-9 bike cops on broadway last night.
What cross street? Broadway is pretty narrow, I can see why they would choose that over 7th or Ocean. ALthough, they also set those traps on Ocean, 4th, Anahiem and sometime Willow. Good luck fighting it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont even think I was doing 48mph. I definately wasnt driving recklessly, I was doing the same speed as the two cars in front of me. I figured long beach wanted to make some money. It was broadway and redondo. Its a two way four lane street, I dont see why the speed limit is 25mph. Im gonna fight it, I have a friend that owes me a favor and hes a lawyer.

·
Registered
143 Posts
if the mandatory court appearence isnt checked just pay it and dont worry about any license issues unless your other speeder was very recent or you are very young, if you want to get it downgraded either get a lawyer or just go dressed presentable, be polite and you can get it dropped to a lower class speeder or unsafe operation of a motor vehicle (at least that's how things run in jersey)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I got the exact same speeding ticket. 48 in a 25 in a residential area, but it isnt a small street and there are brick walls on both sides and nothing faces the street. It's wide enough to be a 4 lane with a center. Out here, double the limit is reckless ( I believe) or at least grounds for an impound, cause he said if i was doing 2 more he could have taken it. He might have been yankin my chain but the reckless laws vary from state to state. I've also had 2 officers come up to me and tell me my plate and signals are illegal, and then do nothing about it :)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
You are kidding? $198 and $144 for 30 over? I had one for 6mph over and it was $186! I paid it to get a court date. I waited as long as I could then finally made the date. The cop probably couldnt remember writig me a ticket, because he didnt show up. Even if he did show up, I would have won, because I am sure he didnt remember. I didnt fight him or nothing... I only asked him two questions and he volunteered his stupidity to me. Enough artilary for me to win just in case he did remember. In the end, I got my money back.

That said, you will lose 90% of the time if they show up and they remember. It just so happened that I had a lot of evidence with pictures ready and everything.

·
Registered
68 Posts
haha im sorry to burst some peoples bubbles but being that i do happen to work as a police officer here in pa i can assure u that if the cop does show up for court and is not a total moran u will lose the speeding hearing. people bring in pictures, manuals for my speed timing device, mathmatics, and even "smart ass" lawyers and none of it helps because being caught speeding is pretty cut and dry. one white line to the next, hit a switch when u hit the first line, hit it back when u cross the second one. distance/time = speed....but usually if someone comes and talks to me b4 the hearing starts i will drop the points and reduce the fine. most people are pretty happy with that. haha or just dont get caught :p

·
Registered
143 Posts
i dont think anyone was trying to say fight it like that, but trying for a plea bargain. (at least that's what i was saying)

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
don't work that way here in Oz thank god. haha We get around them on Calibration technicalities, and just recently, a guy got off a 120km/hr in a 60km/hr zone, coz the photo that was supplied in evidence, didn't have everything it is supposed to on it as per the legislation. Stuff like numbers and camera serial's etc etc. Hahaha Not so long ago the govt had to refund over $1mill in fines coz someone proved a camera that they were caught on, hadn't been calibrated withing the required time frames of when they are supposed to be, and so everyone from that time back to whenever, got refunded and points back and licences re-instated etc. LOL

But being a cop, you can maybe shed some light on this, how in the hell do speed camera's and/or stopping people and booking them for speeding, a)slow them down, and b) save lives. It IS a revenue exercise isn't it. LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts