Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am from Vancouver, BC Canada and over the long weekend on my way home from Thunder Hill (in my car) I was pulled over for speeding. The ticket was not so much a a speeding ticket as it was a notice to appear in court on a future specified date.

I am asking for some information from the experts on the following questions:

-do I have to appear in court on the date specified or can I do it over the phone (says only mail on the back).
-what is the process of contesting the ticket being from out of state/country
-If I am to not appear in court what are the consequences
-what would be the consequences if I fail to appear in court or worse fail to pay?
-anyone else on this forum from Canada run into the same situation?

thank you in advance to all

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
the notice ot appear is on the citation-your ticket. you will receive a courtesy Notice in the mail that will allow you to a)plead guilty and pay the fine, b)plead not guilty, pay the fine till the court date, c) take traffic school (which can be done online).

If you opt for A your driving record will get a point (4 points in a year suspends your license I think). I'm sure it will transfer to your Canadian license.

If you opt for B, you will be given a court date for which you will need to appear in court. An alternative is to ask for a Trial by Declaration (written) so you can send in your side of the case. you'll never see the officers side of it and will be notified by mail if you won or lost the case. if you win, your fine will be refunded to you (its actually bail, not a fine). if you lose they keep it as a fine.

if you opt for C you are pleading guilty essentially, but in the USA you can take traffic school to keep the point from showing up on your record...your american driving record.

If you dont show up or pay a warrant for your arrest will be issued. if you get pulled over (or possibly when you cross the border) you can be arrested and the bail is significantly higher.

dont ask me how I know...LOL...
thats how it works for us americans. I dont know how it affects your foreign status. maybe call your embassy here to ask?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Pab.... very informative. I guess the question would be if I fail to show up or pay, is there a possibility I can be jailed at the border.

thanks again

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
WEST147 said:
thanks Pab.... very informative. I guess the question would be if I fail to show up or pay, is there a possibility I can be jailed at the border.

thanks again
that is a very definite possibility.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You have nothing to lose, fight the ticket by mail (Trial by Declaration). Once you receive the amount send the amount + Plead not Guilty and request a trial by declaration. Be sure to certify it at USPS.

http://www.helpigotaticket.com/declar/request.html

Oh ya... since you are in canada you won't have any points

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
The ticket will not transfer to your Canadian license. You can just not do anything about it and nothing will happen... But the next time youre in the area if you get a ticket youll be screwed.

The easiest way to do it is Trial by Declaration so you dont have to show up in court personally. Either plead guilty or not guilty on the little form they send you, and a few weeks later youll get a notice whether you won or lost and how much your fine is going to be.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you all for the information. I do know of a couple of friends who got tix in Wash state and did not pay, needless to say, they were not jailed crossing the border but don't dare drive in Washington State ever again. My concern is they received tickets with fines written on them and not this new "appear in court" ticket so I am not sure if the rule has changed or not. It appears shraz says the same thing that I believed. Shraz are you 100% sure and can anyone else on this site confirm this?

thanks again to all for the assistance

1 - 9 of 9 Posts