Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was over this guys house who's a friend of my buddy's today. so he busts out this pocket bike. so i go take it for a spin down the street and cross over the sidewalk to the next block. all of a sudden a cleveland cop pulls me over. the two of them get out , one steps in front of the bike and says shut it off. i try to place the kickstand down and he says again "shut it off i dont want you running". so he asks if i have an ID and also asks if i have a motorcycle license. i tell him yes and hand him my ID. he then asks for proof of insurance. i tell him my insurance cards are in my vehicles at home. so he says we will be with you in a moment. as soon as he gets in the car his sidekick whips out his ticket book and starts writing. he come back with a ticket saying offense #1 driving on the sidewalk. Offense #2 license plate to be displayed-none on vehicle. i ask him how you can get a plate for a mini bike with no vin or title and he says you can and that it does have a VIN and he points out the white paper label stuck to the engine that looks like its hand printed. this label looks like the type of crap an immigrant worker would stuck on a pair of shoes to say he made them, like an id number or something.

i was cooperative and everything never got an attitude with him. i told him i wasnt trying to be ignorant or anything and if i would have none it was so serious i would have never took it for a ride. he then said if i have any questions call the BMV. he didnt take the bike or anything just said call someone with a car to pick it up. he also told me that it is considered a two point violation on my driving record.

the funniest thing too is the cop wrote it up as a YNB ninja. this kid put kawi ZX7-r stickers and ninja logos on the bike. i was laughing my azz off. the sicker on the bike said 49cc's.

can you really get two points on your record for riding a mini bike in the city. obviously im gonna fight these violations.

·
Registered
971 Posts
That is like getting a ticket on a motorized skateboard scooter (not sure what they are called). Seems to be ******** to me. Freakin cops can be such asses sometimes. Don't they remember what its like to be young and have fun?

Unless you were riding on a busy street, I don't see what the big deal was.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was riding down sidestreets. when i went onto the sidewalk it was at the top of the street by the main road.

·
Registered
45 Posts
hey i live in ks and i asked a cop what the law was for riding a go ped and he had no advice except have a motorcycle license and you are good so go figure you never know?

·
Registered
369 Posts
that's bull$hit.........like you really can do some running away there. He must have had some bad cofee and donuts. I've never heard of that.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
So you're talking about a MINIbike, and not a POCKETbike, am I correct? They are two different things.

I talked to my friends who are Police tonight, and one of them said that she thought that mini bikes did have a VIN, and did need to be insured. She wasn't sure about pocketbikes. No matter what, you should not have been riding on the sidewalk, as no motorized ANYTHINGS are permitted on a sidewalk.

If the bike was street legal (as some of them are), then it should have insurance.

My other friend said he wasn't sure about pocket and minibikes, and would find out for me. But of course, this is in Cali, not Ohio.

No matter what, that sucks for you dude.

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
If he wrote it up as a YNB ninja, you are already out of that ticket. That's like saying you where riding a dump truck down the street as that is cleary not what you where on... I know there is ways of fighting this, hell you can get out of most tickets even if they write down the wrong color of the car or street you where on etc..

How much was the fines in total, curious?.

Jason

·
Registered
734 Posts
^ same in MD. Just make a call and see if you actually do need it. Ive gotten pulled over on my scooter before. I had to politely explain to the cop that it was un 50cc and it didnt need a plate or insurance. Then he told me to put a helmet on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
well, guys i don't know about Ohio, but here in cali you get a ticket for riding a pocket bike, i have one, and i am pissed cause i have to take it to the track to ride it, i feel you man, cops are a/holes, still five of my friends are cops....lol :lol2:

·
Registered
128 Posts
i agree if he wrote you down for a vehicle you weren't on you have some ground to stand on. if you go to court bring pics of the bike so that way the judge doesn't think you were on a real zx7. big difference. dont deny the alligations just say you didn't know. the whole pocketbike thing is new to you and you didn't know the rules and regulations of these things. if you put it that way maybe all youll get is a fine. i know over here in cali they are busting people left and right for these things. be carefull!!! :police:

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
cbrsexrr said:
Here in Wy. anything under 50cc is considered the same as having a bicycle and you don't need liscence registration or ins.
Guess that is why they make them 49cc engines. Wonder what the law is in PA as I want one of these babies.

Jason

1 - 20 of 37 Posts