Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding to work yesterday and zipped out of some stuffy traffic (with semi's) to get to a better place where I could breathe and this cop pulled up next to me and yelled at me through his window (his windows were up) to "Slow the f down". I acknowledged him by shaking my head up and down and holding my hand as if I was saying "alright already, I get the hint". I was doing 78 in a 50 which changes to a 60 at some point, just not sure where. Anyway, he didn't bust me. When he got off his exit, he looked over at me and was holding a pointed finger at me from just below his chin like " I got my eye on you". He was a city cop and probably didn't want to take the time to bust me, which he could have done in a serous way if he wanted to. Thanks Officer!?

X

V

·
0 Posts
I would much rather get yelled at through a window instead of receiving that ticket. You got lucky that you had a lazy cop...or maybe he wasnt on the clock yet.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
the worst thing you can do is to stay in one lane at a constant speed within traffic

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Justify breaking the law all you want. If you cannot ride legally and be safe, maybe you should not ride on the street. Personally, I think the cop made his point with out a ticket and it seems to be taken.

I choose to speed. I do not chalk it up to safety or anything else. If you are doing 5 over side by side with a car, you can slow just as well as speed up. We all choose to speed up.

·
Registered
996 Posts
My MSF instructors (18 years ago) told us to ride 5-10 mph faster than traffic so we didn't have to worry about stuff coming up behind us (as much). I've never had an officer NOT give me a ticket after hearing that explanation, though.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jezterr said:
even if you did get pulled over you could've explained that you weren't comfortable around the semis. so you sped up.
Initially that's what I did, but after I got out of traffic I continued at the faster pace. Now, I know it was 50mph zone, but let me tell you this, no one goes 50. I get passed doing 70 there. I was side by side with a cop on the same road going home one time and I was doing 65 and he didn't do a thing. Everyone around was doing 65 as well that day with the cop right there.

Semi's hide you from other traffic and kick up a lot of dust and debris, I don't like being around them. I was along side a semi when he blew a tire, scared the bejeezus out of me, and I was in my car with the windows UP.

X

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
moeman said:
the worst thing you can do is to stay in one lane at a constant speed within traffic
Usually I stay in the left lane that way things can only happen on the right and the birm is large. It's a 4 lane highway and those that are in a hurry change lanes often by weaving in and out of the middle 2 lanes, scary, i might get pummeled in there so I choose the left lane.

X

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I will NEVER ride with the flow of traffic!
Everyone that rides a sportbike knows that we can't see behind us for **** and so if we ride a little faster than everyone else, we know what's behind us (more or less)
I ride however it takes to keep me safe, I don't care about traffic laws, give me a ticket!
On this subject, I was in a 70 mph long left bank with some traffic cops behind me (I knew they were there!, no jurisdiction) toward the exit, one of them comes close enough behind me to where he could touch my bike AND TURNS ON HIS SIREN!!!!!!!
WHAT THE .... !!! :shock:
After that he just passed me and stared! Motorcycle cops are suicidal idiots where I ride :evil:

·
Registered
286 Posts
If you were safe at that speed then by all means screw the cop. And as for the law, guess what if you knew how speed limits on streets were established you wouldnt be so supportive of the 'law'. My girlfriends mother is Mayor of the city they live in and often she gets papers on various changes on street speeds etc, more often then not they are set WAY below what is realistic just because those performing the various data gathering did so with a bottle of jack daniels next to them.

So yah speed limits are cute, but if its safter to travel faster then posted limit it very well could be espeicaly if every one else is traveling faster, your much safter not being passed by a bunch of cars/trucks. Not to mention traveling over the speed limit IS legal if road conditions are good, just got to pick apart the survay on the street if it was done within 7 years, if not then ticket is invalid.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts