Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - With a midnight Monday deadline to avert a federal government shutdown fast approaching, the U.S. Capitol building was eerily quiet on Sunday, with meeting rooms locked, lawmakers not to be found, and both parties waiting for the other to blink.

Senate Democrats decided on Sunday not to take up a measure approved in the early morning hours by the Republican-controlled House of Representatives that ties funding for government agencies to a one-year delay of President Barack Obama's landmark healthcare law.
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Yup, the house worked until 1AM Sunday morning to pass another CR, the senate refused to come in on Sunday. And refused to come in before 2PM today.

And they refused to allow amendments in the senate last week and refuse to come to the table to offer up a compromise.

But, it's the republicans that want to shut down government...

The left can delay all the parts they want, negotiate with Iran, Syria, Russia, but say they WILL NOT negotiate with republicans. That's just awesome!

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Well we know the sequester stopped white house tours, it sure didn't stop any gold trips or vacations!

Do as I say, not as I do!

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Obama is doing a good job. Perhaps he is doing a sh!tty job on a lot of ways, but was there this much hate towards Bush when he was fuck1ing things up? Or if a Republican get elected next, which is very likely, is there going to be a "Official Mr Republican Fail" thread? Just curious.
Both side screw you. Whether you like to admit it or not.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Obama is doing a good job. Perhaps he is doing a sh!tty job on a lot of ways, but was there this much hate towards Bush when he was fuck1ing things up? Or if a Republican get elected next, which is very likely, is there going to be a "Official Mr Republican Fail" thread? Just curious.
Both side screw you. Whether you like to admit it or not.
Oh Bush absolutely did! The difference is, Bush got it from BOTH sides! On things like the Patriot Act! That was a HUGE bipartisan issue!

Bush, in his defense used the language of the law as his defense (in that case) but we, the people, along with many in congress on both sides of the aisle saw that the law would be abused. We had thought it was going to be abused by HIS administration. And on some levels they did. But it was the following administration that took it to a new level.

He received a TON of flack over the Iraq war (even though it was legal in every way), he took a TON of crap over the amount of time he spent at home on his ranch. Along with dozens of other things.

The difference is the stance Obama takes on these things. He's been unwilling to compromise on ANYTHING since he took office, not a thing! He's done anything and everything he's wanted to! EVERYTHING!

And then he criticizes his opponents for doing the very things he accuses them of not doing!

It's absolutely UNREAL!

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
One of the jobs of the President is to work with both sides of the isles to get things done. We need one of those BADLY because we currently have a President who thinks the Republican is "THE ENEMY".

We should follow the MS OS way. Shutdown and reboot after crash. I say let the government shut down. Boot most of the senators and representatives and turn the government back on.

·
Registered
118 Posts
looks like I'll be going for a really long ride tomorrow after I work my mandatory 4 hours and get sent home. :(

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Isn't it ironic that the house passes a bill that independently funds the military (in addition to essential services) and the senate wouldn't even vote on it?

But it's the republicans that are trying to shut down the government, RIGHT! You believe that believe this crap are BLIND!!!!!!

Here are the last 17 government shutdowns, just since 1976.

September 30 to October 11, 1976 (10 days)
September 30 to October 13, 1977 (12 days)
October 31 to November 9, 1977 (8 days)
November 30 to December 9, 1977 (8 days)
September 30 to October 18, 1978 (18 days
September 30 to October 12, 1979 (11 days)
November 20 to November 23, 1981 (2 days)
September 30 to October 2, 1982 (1 day)
December 17 to December 21, 1982 (3 days)
November 10 to November 14, 1983 (3 days)
September 30 to October 3, 1984 (2 days)
October 3 to October 5, 1984 (1 day)
October 16 to October 18, 1986 (1 day)
December 18 to December 20, 1987 (1 day)
October 5 to October 9, 1990 (3 days)
November 13 to November 19, 1995 (5 days)
December 5, 1995 to January 6, 1996 (21 days)

And not once did the economy tank (although the stock market will always react negatively - initially), not once did the US default on its debt, never did the military not get paid, never did those on social security stop getting their checks.

It's the democrats that refuse to come work together to get something passed! Call your democrat senator and tell them to compromise!!!!

Here is the house military bill that the senate wouldn't vote on: http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/20130923/BILLS-113-CRTroops.pdf&h=iAQFGeWtD

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
But, it's the republicans that want to shut down government...

The left can delay all the parts they want, negotiate with Iran, Syria, Russia, but say they WILL NOT negotiate with republicans. That's just awesome!
This is the way I see both sides

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I was shocked when I actually woke up today, and then my truck started!

Wait a second, the internet works too? I thought the government was shut down?

·
BOTY Winner 2015 - BOTM Winner 04/2015
7,274 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
What's crazy to me is that all the republicans are asking for in regards to Obama Care is a delay on fines and removal of exemption for the lawmakers. The first seems very reasonable and not doing the second is borderline monarchism.

·
Registered
795 Posts
What's crazy to me is that all the republicans are asking for in regards to Obama Care is a delay on fines and removal of exemption for the lawmakers. The first seems very reasonable and not doing the second is borderline monarchism.

There is no "exemption" for congress. They actually have to choose a plan from the healthcare exchanges that just opened Oct. 1.

Also, repubs were asking to have Obamacare defunded, not delayed. That's what they voted on and passed in the House.

·
Registered
567 Posts
There is no "exemption" for congress. They actually have to choose a plan from the healthcare exchanges that just opened Oct. 1.

Also, repubs were asking to have Obamacare defunded, not delayed. That's what they voted on and passed in the House.
What passed shortly before the shutdown that was again rejected included those two items. Initially they were pushing to completely defund, however that is not what they were negotiating for at the time of the shutdown.

·
Registered
795 Posts
What passed shortly before the shutdown that was again rejected included those two items. Initially they were pushing to completely defund, however that is not what they were negotiating for at the time of the shutdown.

Nothing needs to be passed concerning congress using the exchanges for their healthcare. That is already going to happen.

As for what the repubs want to do with Obamacare, why should the DNC and/or the President agree to their demands to defund or delay implementation? Seriously? The GOP keeps crying about compromise, but with what they are presenting, I see NO compromise. They want the dems to defund and/or delay Obamacare. What exactly would the repubs be compromising on? Agreeing to end the govt shutdown? Please. That is not a compromise. Unless of course the repubs do, in fact, want the govt shutdown to continue........

1 - 20 of 232 Posts