Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just moved to North Carolina, which is the 3rd highest state in bike thefts. I was thinking about buying a GPS tracking device for my bike. They range from $800 low jacks to $30 plug in units. I have no idea where to begin. Anyone have any experience with a GPS tracking unit?

Cheers :cruising:

Reed

·
Registered
241 Posts
Low jack is crap it's not a gps unit it's a device that sends out a ping to a receiver and it doesn't work if the cop tracking the bike doesn't have the receiver or if they aren't near the bike. Not worth it. Get a gps unit that sends you texts to your phone when the bike is moved. It'll show you on a map or send you coordinates of where the bike is headed, how fast and where it's stopped. Some even have their own battery for if the thieves cut the battery wire it'll still work.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
I don't want my bike back if it gets stolen.

A garage and full coverage insurance is all the peace of mind I need.
Well not everyone thinks like you. Some people invest a lot of time and effort into modding their bikes and would take their stolen bikes back any day over a new stock one. Prevention will always be better than treatment.

There are a lot of GPS units on ebay, but the OP's question is good, has anyone actually used a reliable one with it's own battery?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well not everyone thinks like you. Some people invest a lot of time and effort into modding their bikes and would take their stolen bikes back any day over a new stock one. Prevention will always be better than treatment.

There are a lot of GPS units on ebay, but the OP's question is good, has anyone actually used a reliable one with it's own battery?
its not about the time and effort i put into my bike. if my bike gets stolen it becomes damaged goods to me at that point. simple as that.

even if i had a gps, i would have little faith that law enforcement would use the information before the thieves disable the system.

im definitely not going to play robocop and hunting my bike down with the gps coordinates. im sure the thieves will be better armed then i would be and its not worth risking my life over.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
its not about the time and effort i put into my bike. if my bike gets stolen it becomes damaged goods to me at that point. simple as that.

even if i had a gps, i would have little faith that law enforcement would use the information before the thieves disable the system.

im definitely not going to play robocop and hunting my bike down with the gps coordinates. im sure the thieves will be better armed then i would be and its not worth risking my life over.
My point still stands. To each their own, but I would take on the arduous task of pressuring the authorities. Some people get their bikes back you know, usually the ones that persevere.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
A presumably very reliable one, I think its Finnish, is tramigo. geoperimeter and vibration alarm with map/sms tracking and silent microphone function..also has its own battery that charges off the baterry + panic button and sos (bank angle) function that automatically sends coordinates to preset numbers by sms...I got it like two years ago but never got around to install it, so can 't comment on experience....

·
Registered
112 Posts
My point still stands. To each their own, but I would take on the arduous task of pressuring the authorities. Some people get their bikes back you know, usually the ones that persevere.
My point still stands as well. Garage prevention + full coverage > gps hunting.

Let's just hope that neither one of us has our bike stolen. Good luck my friend.

·
Registered
874 Posts
That's a good point. If the bike gets stolen then chances are it's been beaten to **** probably got a few scratches, etc. At that point I'd just want a check from my insurance company to buy a new bike. My advice is get theft insurance (costs me about an extra $80 a year, DIRT CHEAP) store the bike in doors (garage/shed/apartment, whatever) and BUY A BIKE COVER. Every time I go to school I lock the bars and throw a cover over the bike. I also check on the bike once every hour or two if I can (just look out the window) and haven't had any problems yet. The cover helps a lot I think, make sure you use a non-brand name cover, the cheapest crappiest looking cover is all you need to make sure no one touches. You want it to be unappealing.

Maybe buy a lock to strap around the back tire or something, they could still pick up the bike and put it in a van, but at least that will deter thieves a little bit.

As for a GPS tracker, waste of money. A cop cannot go into a house without a warrant even with a gps tracker. Not to mention professional thieves have static blankets (or whatever they are called) that break the signal rendering the device useless anyway.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
My point still stands as well. Garage prevention + full coverage > gps hunting.

Let's just hope that neither one of us has our bike stolen. Good luck my friend.
Thanks, but a little too late for that. Bike was stolen earlier this month from an underground garage.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks, but a little too late for that. Bike was stolen earlier this month from an underground garage.
Sorry to hear about that. Hope you had full coverage.

An underground garage is nothing more than a parking lot with a roof. When I say garage, I mean I a garage with a door that only the owner can open.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. Hope you had full coverage.

An underground garage is nothing more than a parking lot with a roof. When I say garage, I mean I a garage with a door that only the owner can open.
Thanks man.

Yeah I understand, was just mentioning it so that people don't make the same mistake; no coverage unfortunately, I'm one of the very few unlucky ones, bike theft is quite rare here. Extremely expensive lesson, but I've already compiled a list of security measurs for my (God-willing) next bike that even Houdini can't get through.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Sad to hear that rad...I am currently very careless with my storage due to the very same assumption... I am not sure a GPS tracker would have helped in your case either... She's prolly in Iran now...😧

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Sad to hear that rad...I am currently very careless with my storage due to the very same assumption... I am not sure a GPS tracker would have helped in your case either... She's prolly in Iran now...😧
Be very careful, my bike was parked in the same garage for over two years and one day, bam!

Get a chain, an alarm, and a GPS tracker. It does make a difference if you have a decent tracker that'll send you coordinates and alert you to the bike moving past a geo fence you determine yourself. All these measures combined make a very strong deterrent/recovery system.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm using Ride Core + Secure
Its a 3-wire install system (Ign Power + B-Pos + B-Neg)

The staff at Ride are very helpful with configuration & installation problems.
They can also request data from your account if there was a problem.
The police can also use their website to track your bike if you give them a code.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts