Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
+1... since moving to Atlanta, I am definately in need of one.. read up alot on the Garmin Streetpilot 27xx/28xx series w/ their mount or the ram mount, but all they ever show are touring bikes.. wanna see how it fits on a sportbike

also, a mount that doesnt use the steering stem nut (since i have a radial damper there already)

·
Whore Police
16,493 Posts
I am thinking that we could mount a GPS on the mounts for tank Cams. The ring that bolts down around the gas cap. Sure could have used it. Yesterday we found our group of 8 in the getto.. We do a lot of rides to new areas of So Cal... Every one of us would have liked to have skipped that part of the trip.

How much does the Street Pilot go for??

·
Registered
225 Posts
The Tom Tom looks cool. The website link only has maps listed for overseas. Do they sell US maps for it yet?

·
Whore Police
16,493 Posts
I don't think the Tom Tom will fit on anywhere on the bars with a dampner... Looking at it I think it would hit anytime you turn the bars. I think I am going to get the Tom Tom and mount it on a cam mount. The best thing about it is the blue tooth headset that gives you verbal directions. It will be even nicer when the Bluetooth Chatter box comes out. Seems that the Tom Tom is the best suited.. but that price... I found it ofr $899.99.. Anyone find it cheeper?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
wes600rr said:
I don't think the Tom Tom will fit on anywhere on the bars with a dampner... Looking at it I think it would hit anytime you turn the bars. I think I am going to get the Tom Tom and mount it on a cam mount. The best thing about it is the blue tooth headset that gives you verbal directions. It will be even nicer when the Bluetooth Chatter box comes out. Seems that the Tom Tom is the best suited.. but that price... I found it ofr $899.99.. Anyone find it cheeper?

:sign10:

Actually, here it is for 778.47

Price grabber

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a Garmin IQue that I use in my car, truck and RR. For the cages, I have a windshield mount. For the CBR, I use the map holder on top of my tank bag (Nelson Riggs expandable). I removed my tank cover and ran wiring from the battery to the front of the tank cover and have standard connectors that I can fold away when not using. When using my gps, I pull out the wiring and attach it to a cigarette lighter socket that's in the tank bag, and then run the power attachment from the gps to the lighter socket. It sounds cumbersome, and would be for everyday use. However, for my purposes, it is great. There's nothing better than just riding around w/no particular agenda and exploring every single road that grabs your attention. When it's time to go home, you just instruct the gps to lead you home and you are on your way. Of course, gps systems will and do fail, so a back up map is a must.

The IQue goes for under $300 now. It is basically a gps mated to a pda. If you have a pda, all your addresses can be transferred to the gps. If you need to go to any address in your IQue, you just command it to take you to the desired address. Had it for 2.5 years now, and still really like it.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
VELCRO

I use a SportTrac Topo occasionally and mount it in the indentation in the top of the gas tank with that sticky velcro tape material.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I've actually been thinking about this recently. I think I've decided on buying a good PDA like a Dell Axim w/ a GPS module. This way not only do I have a GPS unit, but I have a PDA if I ever need it. It's also much cheaper than a standalone GPS unit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts