Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Watch out Vale Xavier Alexander is coming
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the city decided to repave the road going to my g/f's house. Not a bad idea, but they used a cheap process and when they were done, there was TONS of loose gravel on the road. I damn near wiped out trying to go to work and I was only going 35 mph! I couldn't even brake to stop at the stop light without sliding.

Is there some way I can notify the city of this unsafe process they use?

Any tips I may need to ride safe on that road until most of the gravel is gone?

*grumble*

C

·
0 Posts
Call the public works and complain. Tell them they need a street sweeper ASAP.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
dude that sucks...good thing you didnt spill...i hate gravel...i almost took a spill when i was up in the 243 because of it...

·
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone
4,495 Posts
They roads are prolly are not done yet. They usually pave city streets, and pavement is generally very smooth and clean afterwards. They would not put gravel on a newly paved street. The paved roads usually have thick gravel bases

·
Watch out Vale Xavier Alexander is coming
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shiftn3rdon1 said:
They roads are prolly are not done yet. They usually pave city streets, and pavement is generally very smooth and clean afterwards. They would not put gravel on a newly paved street. The paved roads usually have thick gravel bases
Normally....but they have been doing various roads around my area with the same turnout....when they are done...it's gravel filled.

Could they be hoping that the cars pack it down?

·
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone
4,495 Posts
Its hard to say...After the steam roller rolls it..its packed down pretty much all the way. That would suck though. I love riding on brand spankin new pavement.

·
Registered
282 Posts
they do that crap around here all the damn time

they lay down what seems like a tar base, and then sprinkle pea gravel all over it

they wait a few weeks for the cars to pack it all down and then clean up all the excess

meanwhile, it's f'n terrible to drive on.... i refuse to ride on it

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
yeah, back home in mich, where it was more rural, thats how they paved all our roads. tar and then loose gravel on top. eventually, the cars make it smooth, but until then, there's loose gravel everywhere. and they can become projectiles too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
they did that to my street over the summer, it was interesting trying to turn and stop.

oh and then all the effing construction thingies dragged MUD and DIRT all over the road

that was fun.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
cvlighthouse said:
Call the public works and complain. Tell them they need a street sweeper ASAP.
The gravel needs to be compacted in by people driving on it for a while before they can sweep the excess off.

Just take it really slow on it until it's all compacted <25mph. The bike will feel like it's dancing around under you but don't worry too much about it, It'll stay straight up.

They do that around here every year or so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts