Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
That's coolant. Did you wipe the area around it off or is it wet there? That's one of the bolts you remove when flush the coolant, looks like it might be leaking. There's a washer on it that's supposed to be replaced when the coolant is flushed. You can get away with not replacing it, but if you over or under torque the bolt it can leak.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
That's coolant. Did you wipe the area around it off or is it wet there? That's one of the bolts you remove when flush the coolant, looks like it might be leaking
Must be a different model? My '03 I simply undo the coolant pump and hose.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
be very careful tightening that bolt.......easy to strip/break if too much power.

maybe try tightening it by no more than 1/32 turn, just a bump.....and if you are not good with feel, stop.

wipe it and see if leaking after a ride.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
take it off clean bolt, replace crush washer and torque to factory spec with torque wrench.

dare i say genius muhahaha

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
edit - How do I thank myself?

I just read my post and realized I owned the f uck out of this thread

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I take that back, the one at the pump does have a torque spec, 12Nm. But the one at the cylinder head (the one pictured) doesn't.

It does its just not in the cooling section of the manual... might be engine or exhaust removal i forget.. also bleeding the cooling system has nothing to do with removal or replaceing that bolt...

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
So nah i f ucking owned this thread muhahahah

·
Registered
190 Posts
And you certainly will let coolant out/ air in if you remove it. Procedure for flushing is drain at the pump first, then drain at the cylinder head. You get coolant out of both when you do.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
And you certainly will let coolant out/ air in if you remove it. Procedure for flushing is drain at the pump first, then drain at the cylinder head. You get coolant out of both when you do.

i never talked about burping his system so my advice is spot on.... you dont need to burp they system to replace that bolt... if you wanna go anywhere after replacing that bolt well thats another story entirely.. Also u need a better service manual mine has it in there and no im not willing to scroll threw hundreds of pages to find it but you can. move along now

·
Registered
190 Posts
i never talked about burping his system so my advice is spot on.... you dont need to burp they system to replace that bolt... if you wanna go anywhere after replacing that bolt well thats another story entirely.. Also u need a better service manual mine has it in there and no im not willing to scroll threw hundreds of pages to find it but you can. move along now
I didn't say you did, I advised to burp it if you remove/replace that bolt. So are you saying no air is going to get in (or coolant out) when that bolt is removed to replace the washer then?

Not sure what you mean by "go anywhere after..." I only mentioned the flush procedure to reinforce that being a drain bolt that will open a closed system letting fluid out/air in if removed. Hence it being a good idea to go ahead and burp it, even if the amount of air is minimal.

As for the torque spec, if you say it's in yours, OK then. Why don't you help the OP out and give it to him... If it is there, it's probably the same as the one at the pump anyways. Either way, it would be a b!tich to actually get a torque wrench in there, just use a box wrench and tighten it 1/4 turn past seating it by hand.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I didn't say you did, I advised to burp it if you remove/replace that bolt. So are you saying no air is going to get in (or coolant out) when that bolt is removed to replace the washer then?

Not sure what you mean by "go anywhere after..." I only mentioned the flush procedure to reinforce that being a drain bolt that will open a closed system letting fluid out/air in if removed. Hence it being a good idea to go ahead and burp it, even if the amount of air is minimal.

As for the torque spec, if you say it's in yours, OK then. Why don't you help the OP out and give it to him... If it is there, it's probably the same as the one at the pump anyways. Either way, it would be a b!tich to actually get a torque wrench in there, just use a box wrench and tighten it 1/4 turn past seating it by hand.
no I didnt say you did your wrong. in your post #9 you were the first to bring up burping the system. I never mentioned it before you did and im not going to talk about it now....

Why dont i help the op with the torque spec? If you read im not paging threw hundreds of pages of the manual. what makes you think its the same torque spec as the water pump drain bolt thats just stupid you have no ground to stand on. yes its hard to get a torque wrech in there the headers are in the way.. thats the only thing youve been correct about.

·
Registered
190 Posts
no I didnt say you did your wrong. in your post #9 you were the first to bring up burping the system. I never mentioned it before you did and im not going to talk about it now....

Why dont i help the op with the torque spec? If you read im not paging threw hundreds of pages of the manual. what makes you think its the same torque spec as the water pump drain bolt thats just stupid you have no ground to stand on. yes its hard to get a torque wrech in there the headers are in the way.. thats the only thing youve been correct about.
You didn't say you said i said...blah, blah. I know I was the first to mention burping, that's exactly what I just said above.

Anyways, seriously, what manual do you have and how hard is it to look at a TOC and flip to the referenced page? Here's yet another example of a manual with no torque spec for that bolt.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts