Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, got the bike out over the weekend and decided to do an oil change since I was right at the 3000 mile mark from my last oil change. When I pulled the oil drain plug I didn't see any water or anything, but the oil coming out was slightly green. Also flushed my coolant completely but didn't find any signs of oil in the coolant at all. I change oil religiously at 3,000 miles and have never seen this before. I purchased the bike brand new so I know all of the maintenance that it has had.

I live in Minnesota and didn't stabilize the oil or gas at all over the winter. I started it up once a month and let it get up to running temp also. It was garaged all winter with the lowest temps inside getting to around 35 F. Just wondering if there's any way this could happen other than having a blown head gasket or a cracked block. The bike is a 08 cbr600rr with 12,000 miles on the odo.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Well, got the bike out over the weekend and decided to do an oil change since I was right at the 3000 mile mark from my last oil change. When I pulled the oil drain plug I didn't see any water or anything, but the oil coming out was slightly green. Also flushed my coolant completely but didn't find any signs of oil in the coolant at all. I change oil religiously at 3,000 miles and have never seen this before. I purchased the bike brand new so I know all of the maintenance that it has had.

I live in Minnesota and didn't stabilize the oil or gas at all over the winter. I started it up once a month and let it get up to running temp also. It was garaged all winter with the lowest temps inside getting to around 35 F. Just wondering if there's any way this could happen other than having a blown head gasket or a cracked block. The bike is a 08 cbr600rr with 12,000 miles on the odo.

if it was a blown headgasket, the oil would be milky, unless i guess it sat for a long time with out the engine starting

and if thats the case, id still suspect something other than a blown headgasket

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike was laid down by a friend at about 10mph on the left side last year, but I have done oil changes since and have never seen an issue. Figured I would throw that in there in case it helps. Bike also runs just as good as it did the day I picked it up new from the dealer. I dunno, just scares me since it's only 2 years old.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
i think your over analyzing it to be honest.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sometimes oil additives breakdown into the oil causing the green color. This is common with newer motors. Green oil can also mean coolant has found it way past the water jacket through a gasket, but this is unlikely. Ride it around for awhile and just take note of both your coolant level and oil level. Notice any drastic changes, they you may have a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts