Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how much ground clearance do the '07 or '08 models have? Do these bikes have a lot of clearance before the footpegs(without peg feelers) touch down compared to other sportbikes in the class?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I touched them down just a little at my last trackday. I wanted to know if they touched because this bike doesn't have good ground clearance or maybe something else.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I touched them down just a little at my last trackday. I wanted to know if they touched because this bike doesn't have good ground clearance or maybe something else.

wait your fast in the A group and ride with stock qualifiers and just now are asking about rearsets. what school did you learn from i need to take that school. im slow with good tires and high rearsets.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
wait your fast in the A group and ride with stock qualifiers and just now are asking about rearsets. what school did you learn from i need to take that school. im slow with good tires and high rearsets.
oh yea I just remembered he posted that pic in the tire reading thread.

Yep, your body position definitely sucks. I'm surprised you're not dragging more ****.

·
Registered
709 Posts
in all honesty based on your pic from the other thread, it really is your body position.

I am very surprised that you are running "fast" times with that body position and stock tires. It is no doubt you are dragging pegs, but rearsets will not fix your clearance issue

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have not done a school yet. I try to absorb as much info from various sources including the web, TV and magazines. What is most important to go fast is to be really smooth, have very good lines that make the most of what lean angle you use, and be very comfortable on the bike so that you are in absolute control if it slides, but mainly so that you can countersteer better and maintain good lines. Braking markers are a must, and turn in markers help you hit a consistent line over and over.

If you refine these skills, you will find that you do not need the best tires, high rearsets or 1000 cc's to go fast. You don't even need good body position. Those will all help, but they are not as necessary or as valuable as those other skills I mentioned. Of course I will work on my body position, it has just taken a back seat to developing those more important aspects of riding.

I know everyone is saying I am crazy for not focusing on body position first but I will leave you with this thought. Which person would undoubtedly go faster: Rider A who is very smooth but has poor body positioning or, Rider B who has very good body positioning but is not very smooth at all?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Neither should be in A group.
I hope you are not trying to imply that I should not ride in the A group since you did say my body position sucks. I feel that if I hang off a lot more, I lose more control or feeling with the bike. So I ride like that because it is safer for me.

I could have taken a look at your avatar and say that your bike is nearly upright. IF you were smooth, there is so much more untapped lean angle you could be taking advantage of. But I didn't because you might equate less lean angle as being safer and plus that would not be a nice thing to say without an invitation to critique.

Most racers that I have heard say that you do what is comfortable and what works for you. Everyone needs to find their own balance. I am still searching for mine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are right about finding your own groove, Landshark, but you asked why your are dragging pegs and a couple different people answered you correctly.

Hey thanks a lot. Your post made me realize that I was being too defensive about my riding. I was hung up on the idea that just starting to drag pegs at my pace was a sign that I wasn't doing too badly. It should have been about the fact that I wouldn't be dragging anything if I had better form.

I know my form is starting to hold me back because when I dragged peg, it was like a red flag and I knew I shouldn't lean it more than that. Sorry to everyone about having too much pride in my riding skills to see what is really important and BP has definitely moved up in my priority list.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I have to agree with Zakath here. Landshark needs to back off (drop to I class) and work with some instructors on correcting his body position. "Keeping up with the pack" is not the object of a track day. Learning how to be smooth and using the correct body position will inherently lead to faster times. Pushing too hard trying to "Keep up" can lead to disaster for you and maybe even someone else on the track. It's simply not worth it. Swallow your pride and take a step back for the good of yourself and your fellow trackday riders. In the end you will be a much better rider.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ride better when I go faster. Something about the g loading in the turns makes everything easier and smoother so going much slower would be counterproductive to me. It is like trying to work on your form on a bike sitting on the stands. It doesn't feel the same to me.

I am sure it sounds like I am denying everything but I found that when I progressed to running comfortably in the fast group, I learned a lot more, quickly. When I was borderline A-/B+ pace, I did like to stay in B so that I could work on stuff instead of concentrating solely on keeping up or staying out of the way.

Running faster than that in the B group was like flying around the track then nearly stopping to pass someone. It removes all the flow and rhythm from the session and you can't take anything to the next level. Everything is relative, C group riders will experience the exact same thing when they need to move up to B.

I should be able to back it off a little bit to work on some things and still be able run in the A group. The instructor advice is a good idea. It has been too long since I have taken advantage of that.

BTW, I am trying to "go faster" not "keep up". There is a difference in mentality between the two.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
I have to agree with Zakath here. Landshark needs to back off (drop to I class) and work with some instructors on correcting his body position. "Keeping up with the pack" is not the object of a track day. Learning how to be smooth and using the correct body position will inherently lead to faster times. Pushing too hard trying to "Keep up" can lead to disaster for you and maybe even someone else on the track. It's simply not worth it. Swallow your pride and take a step back for the good of yourself and your fellow trackday riders. In the end you will be a much better rider.
+one million....

Landshark, have you crashed yet? No disrespect when I say this, I'm being honest. I think thus far you have been lucky but it will catch up with you and hopefully not at someone elses expense.

I speak from experience, grab an instructor and get some pointers. Slow it down and get a handle on it bro.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
^Sorry and let me clarify when I said I speak from experience. My own BAD experience.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts