Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got this off of another forum and i found it to be some excellent guidelines to follow on a group ride, it may have been posted before but its always a good reminder...

Even though we ride all the time here in sunny florida, as spring rolls around, we usually get more new riders. So, in that vien....

I plagurized this liberally from other forums and thought it had some really good ideas and maybe we could use this and or modify it to suit our groups needs. Makes a good templete to say the least.

Basic rules for riding in a group

By no means will this be an exhaustive list, so feel free to add anything that I might have missed. These seem like common sense, but everyone has been a rookie and someone has to tell you.

1. When you change lanes, go to the far side of the lane so someone else can also change lanes. Example: If you are on the left side of the right lane, when you move to the left lane, go all the way over to the left side of the lane.

2. When coming to a turn on a regular road, (for a twistie road see rule 5) drop into a single file line. You should communicate either before the ride or during the ride with the bike beside you about who is going to go first and who will drop in behind.

3. Learn the hand signals. The basic ones that we use are:
A. Hand tapping top of helmet: There's a cop.
B. Pointing frantically to the ground with hand or foot: There's something in the road on that side.
C. Left arm extended and bent 90 degrees with closed fist: We are about to make a final turn in and stop
D. Left Arm extended and bent 90 degrees with open hand: Right turn.
E. Left arm straight out: Left turn
F. Left arm extended out and slightly waving up and down with open hand: slow down or possible stop.
G. Someone flashing all five fingers of one hand at you: you forgot to turn off your blinker.
H. One leg extended to side of bike: That person is about to change lanes in that direction. (I personally prefer and use blinkers, but you need to know this one.)
I. Pointing to the gas tank: I need gas.
J. Pointing to your stomach: I need food.

4. It is not uncool to use your blinkers to change lanes. The first night I rode with a large group, everyone was sticking out their legs and changing lanes. I'm thinking we're cruising between 80 and 140mph so I'm just going to have to look like a dork and use my blinkers just so there is no mistake about what I'm about to do because the last thing I wanted was to get ran over. As soon as I started using my blinkers, half the people in the group did also.

5. When you're on a twistie rode with a group, ride in a single file line and DO NOT ride above you're skill level! I have ridden with many different groups and they always wait at the end of the rode for everyone and usually do a head count to make sure no one went down. Take it easy, we will wait for you, rather than wait for you then bury you.

6. Don't go flying by someone at high speed in the same lane as they are in unless you know them and they have told you that it is ok. Please go by in a different lane.

7. If you want to stunt, go out front and every one try to pick one or two lanes to stunt in. Most experienced stunters do this, this is for the inexperienced. It is much better to get in front before you do a wheelie, etc. Riding up through a pack on your rear wheel is not the safest thing in the world.

8. When you first ride with a large group or an unfamiliar group, I suggest you stay in back and on whatever side that has an escape route. You need to be thinking what will I do if someone in front of me goes down. It does happen!

9. When the group puts the hammer down and it comes time for you to decelerate, if you don't brake and just let off the throttle, make sure that you tap your brake a couple of times so that the bikes behind you will know your slowing down.

10. Wear protective gear. At the least you should have a jacket, helmet, gloves, and ankle boots.

11. Make sure your bike is registered and you have a valid license, etc..

12. Be gassed up when we meet.

13. Emergency cards with all of your information and Emergency Contact info. Trust me on this one. It would have helped when Eddie passed, rather then me, Rob, Brett and Freddie telling the cops we didn't know who to call, etc.

14. Occasionally when turning a bike might pull out to turn but in intersection... he is stopping to create a barrier so cars know to stop and allow the group to turn into the road.. be aware for this.....He will then rejoin as the last bike.

15. If you peel off during a group ride let someone know. we'll be looking for you..it's a real drag.

16. When following do not focus on person in front of you keep them in peripheral vision and focus ahead. (IE. Don't Target Fixate!)

If there is an accident..

A) Don't' move the rider unless he cannot breath/impeded helmet in water puddle. mud etc.. (helmet came off something in his mouth)..then keep the neck straight as possible..

Know CPR.

C) do not pull out anything impaled braches etc... leave them in as pulling them out you may allow more bleeding

D) know how to use a tourniquet.

E) Call an ambulance be on safe side.

F) Search for emergency card inside jacket inside or under seat.

G) Turn off bike. shut off lanes of traffic place bike in lanes etc if necessary....
H) Find out where they are taking rider.

I) When cops show up.. Have a plan on what your going to tell them, as a group. Everyone has to agree on what your going to say. That's all I'm gonna say about this.

J) Don't' take off helmet!! Make sure it goes with them to hospital for docs.
Keep talking to them if concussed etc.. don't' let them get up etc..

K) Use your head.

·
Registered
18 Posts
C) do not pull out anything impaled braches etc... leave them in as pulling them out you may allow more bleeding

D) know how to use a tourniquet.

lol...makes sense but looks weird typed out.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
It really amazes me how some folks don't know or haven't heard of some of these signals. I guess it's just a matter of being fortunate enough to have begun riding with more experienced individuals.
Just a week or so ago I was signaling a fellow rider about a speed trap he was headed towards and he just gave me a WTF kind of look and kept on moving along at his pace.

·
Over the berm, and thru the woods, to grandmothers
1,220 Posts
To show that we are going to start passing the lead rider signals back with their index and middle finger like a peace sign near the left of their helmet. When the lead ridder is going he kindof tomahawks the hand signal.

If the whole group can't pass we usually don't. I guess we could work out a signal to pass one by one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My Buddy is a nurse (don't laugh he's heard it all) he was telling me that they had a MVA in a while back and the guy had his emergency info in his helmet so when they secured him and took it off they saw it right away.............just a thought

·
Registered
128 Posts
excellent thoughts. the biggest one of all is to use common sense and pay attention to your surroundings! now where you are so to avoid getting lost. also if your going out by yourself it wouldn't be a bad idea to tell another person (i.e. wife or significant other) where you went so if you go down they know where to look. just something to think about!

H

·
0 Posts
i have been riding in groups for a bit, so most of those i have incorporated into my riding.. but there were some that i did not know..

i think no matter what you should talk to the ppl you ride with and make sure they all know the signs.. etc.. one ride i was on, iwas using some signals and at the next stop i had someone ask me what they were.. so it is good to be on the same page when you head out...

another good piece of advice i can give.. is when riding with someone new make sure you establish some rules.. i was out with my usual group and this guy joined up mid ride.. a random guy, but i am willing to cruise with new ppl.. w/in a few miles this moron was stunting in traffic.. and being an a$$.. so we just dropped back a bit and hit a turn after he had passed it.. the last thing you want is to wreck because of some guy who feels the urge to impress other guys... or get caught in a situation where the cops go to pull you over and he runs.. around here most cops will not buy the "i do not know who he is" line...

be safe...

·
Registered
206 Posts
i've actually seen this a long time ago... good topic for a sticky too!!

great info to know... i needed to refresh my mind on this...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i am glad you guys/gals enjoyed it......
i knew that most of us had ridden or ride with our regular group and that we all have signals we use. i figured this would be good for the new riders and as a refresher to the seasoned riders, i know i picked up a few good pointers that i used (only track now) on some of the last rides i went on.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
i make my hand look like a gun to indicate that i need gas.

for others to be aware more, i use a peace sign and move it from my eyes to theirs (like i was bringing in a cigarette)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts