Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read and read endless threads on this forum, but can't make up my mind of what your opinions are. I am finally getting my bike tomorrow after a few years of waiting. it is not my first bike, but my first since i moved to the US. Hence I have no riding gear. I dont want to ride without full protection, but what to get?

I would like a two piece suit, but which one?

This is the one I have been looking at

I think the rest is fairly easy to get, just wanted your opinions on the largest piece to buy.

I know some ride in jeans but thats not an option, since I like the look and its safer than jeans.

Any input is welcome advice and others . . .

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
No no no, for that price, you could get the one piece or another mid-range suit.

If you're set on a two piece, get the pants and jacket separate. I got my RC-1 jacket for $315 new on eBay and a pair of Alpinestars track pants on here for less than $200.

·
Registered
379 Posts
its because everyone has different opinions on this forum. Honestly, I don't own a full suit, i ride in thick denim jeans, jacket helmet gloves and boots. If i get to a track ill rent for a while. Go with one that matches your bike? why not?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats why i like forums.. everyone is entitled to their own opinion then you can see what people thinks and you form your own conclusion :)

Not saying that was the one i needed or necessarily wanted, just one I have looked at. I would much rather hear from someone who has something HE likes. That brings more value to me than reading online reviews that who knows wrote..

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
If you're looking to spend that much, get a one piece. The only reason for a two piece is for those of us who commute in jeans and do spirited/track riding on the weekends.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not looking to spend that much, but would like to ride with leather pants and a jacket.

What are you guys riding if you think like me? Full suit?

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Honestly?

When I very first started riding...I wore my 2 piece, everywhere. After about 6 months, it became a huge PITA. So..I bought a pair of textile armored pants to wear over my dress slacks or whatever when I rode.

Now..I just try and wear jeans when I ride on the street, which isn't very much, but regardless.

If you know you'll always be wearing leather pants and jacket wherever you shall go, I'd say get a 1 piece.

Sometimes vendors use ebay to clearance out old stock, I'd hit them up first. Or newenough.com.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i dont find it comfortable to ride a 1 piece all the time, plus it looks kinda stupid walking through the mall with the old lady on her lunch break in a 1 piece with hard core swalls/swass. gets pretty hot in them things.. i usually cruise in a 2 piece and for short commutes i just wear textile pants or jeans depending on the ride duration. i just find a 1 piece uncomfortable for everyday life

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish I could commute but my garage is 2 blocks away and my work is 1 block away. so this would be my weekend get away toy. Right now I do that with my Porsche but the bike will replace it on sunny days :)

I have a friend who has a 1 piece i could probably start with and then see what I would like.

thanks for the comments so far!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have a couple of different jackets I wear depending on the weather, helmet, gloves and boots. I wear jeans as well. I guess it all depends on what you are comfortable with wearing while you ride. I personally couldn't be comfortable in leather pants. There's my .02

F

·
0 Posts
I like the functionality of the two piece, but the look of the one piece. I'm lookin into the latter for a 2nd set. Hook me up, Disco!

·
Registered
21 Posts
also depends on your riding function....if Im just cruising down to a local restraunt on the weekend to grab a bite with friends...no way in hell am i wearing a full 1 piece suit. IF I were to hit the tracks or canyons super aggressively then a 1 piece is a necessity

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
What is your intended use? i.e. what is your riding style, what kind of roads are you riding on, what kind of weather will you be riding in, etc.

Also: What is your budget?

That suit is a more than acceptable suit but it is also $999. Will you have enough left to pay for helmet, gloves, boots, maybe a tankbag or whatever?

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
if that is your first gear, i wouldn't recommend that suit for $1k! unless you do some serious riding or track, i would stick with something a little less pricey to start with. Check out a local CycleGear store for a different A-stars suit; even the Frank Thomas suits arent that bad and are on sale right now too.

its also better to try them on first and make sure it fits you instead of buying online and finding out that the suit you dropped a buttload of money on is too tight on your crotch or too loose on the waist.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts