Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
She thinks my tractor's sexy, it really turns her
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So do any of you fella's know anything about the Ar-15's, i was thinkin about buildin one. I was just wonderin if any of you guys have messed with them much or tried building one before. Here's a pic of one i found that looks awesome.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
How are u trying to put it together, r u talking about buying an upper and lower receiver, beffer, buffer spring, bolt carrier group all seperate?

Here in cali u can't buy the lower receiver, so that's out. Just wandering what your plan is exactly. I would love an ar-15. Easy as hell gun to shoot.

·
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, if you buy one outright, i think they are around $2,000. My cousin has an armalite, he's got some buddies who work in law enforcemnt, it kicks ass. Are you sure you can't buy the lower receiver there in CA, because i thought the ban went off, but maybe it's just for the rest of America.

But yea, i was planning on buying the upper and lower, and just building one from ground up. If it's going to be to awful hard, i may try and talk my cousin into selling me his cheap, but thats easier said than done.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
CAli has it's own ban that's actually more restrictive then the US ban. So none of that really mattered to us. I can still only carry 10+1 rounds in my gun at work, not the 15+ I could in other states and alot of otehr things. We've got all types of people in cali. I love to own guns and was raised around them. Most people I find have never been around them and don't want to be. Damn cali and their laws.

·
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, I don't think i could make it there. I got my first gun when i was like 10. So if i had say an AR-15, and i moved to CA, would i have to get rid of it or something? What's your proffesion?

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
BenReilly said:
Wow, I don't think i could make it there. I got my first gun when i was like 10. So if i had say an AR-15, and i moved to CA, would i have to get rid of it or something? What's your proffesion?
You can not have it in cali. Unless it's preban and it's registered I belave. I work as armed security on an armored truck/car. I take money from big banks to the smaller branches and other companys. A mailman with a gun.

·
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha just be happy you've got a gun right. I'm about to enlist in the AirForce, and i was wanting to do SecurityForces that way i would get to cary a gun, but i'm thinkin that i probably wouldn't like it all that much. So i guess i need guns to take to the range, or the ditches when i'm home.

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
Cali's got extremely restrictive gun laws.

For instance, Cali's got a list of approved handguns that can be bought or sold in Cali. If it's not on the list, it can't be purchased.

So, for instance, (using this as an example), lets say you wanted a Sig p226. Lets say that a new Two-Tone model came out last month. here, in Cali, the Sig P226 is an approved gun. However, the two-tone model hasn't been tested and approved yet, so although its the same gun, you can't own the two-tone model until it's been approved.

Here, in Cali, "AR-15 or AR-15 Like guns" cannot have detachable mags, the mags cannot have more than 10 rounds, no folding stocks, no flash suppressors. and etc,

·
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn, California is strict. I knew they were different, but i didn't realize it was like this. That sux for you guys, i'm truly sorry.

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
Oh, forget to tell you:

www.sigforum.com, for all your gun needs. Very civil, organised, and intelligent bunch of people. They're kinda on the right of the political spectrum, but that is to be expected.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Motorcycles are my second passion...guns have and always will be my first! Being a licenced gunsmith, ill give you my .02 cents. Im personally not a big fan of the AR platform...there are far better choices for a good shooting rifle/carbine for much less money. However, depending on your uses, it may suit you. Building one is the only way to get a quality AR without spending thousands of dollars....there are exceptions out there but for the most part, its cheaper to peice on together. If your wanting it just for kicking cans around, non competitive target shooting, and just having fun with...look elsewhere to something cheaper. An SKS or an AK variant will do anything a lesser quality AR will do and for about 1/4 the price. Depending on how big your budget is, plan on spending at LEAST 1000 bucks to build a good quality AR and possibly alot more depending on how radical you want to get with things. Ive seen guys start out with a basic lower and end up with a 5000+ dollar rifle. The nice thing about the AR platform is that its extremely veratile nowdays...its chambered in calibers randing from .204 ruger up to a .50 beuwulf, meaning with the proper setup it will shoot everything from prairie dogs to some of the largest game animals in the world. PM me if you need any more info...always glad to help!

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
I have the bushmaster XM-15, same thing, nice little shooter, very accurate. I hear the Colt's are jam prone, that's why I went the bushmaster route.

.223 cal, Competition barrel, fun gun. I bought the thing durring the gun ban so it's not as pretty but still just as deadly It cost me about $850 and came with the hard case

www.bushmaster.com

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've heard similar things about the Colt AR models that wherezroony said, plus that they're not as accurate as the armalites or rock rivers. Would'nt mind having one myself, but I just went overbudget on my firearms purchases when I got my Benelli M1 Super 90.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
WherzRoony said:
I have the bushmaster XM-15, same thing, nice little shooter, very accurate. I hear the Colt's are jam prone, that's why I went the bushmaster route.

.223 cal, Competition barrel, fun gun. I bought the thing durring the gun ban so it's not as pretty but still just as deadly It cost me about $850 and came with the hard case

www.bushmaster.com

When CAn I come over and fire that thing

·
Registered
326 Posts
Those AR's are nice but IMO, if you want a good rifle to kick around with for a little less money, M14's are great. .308 is a good caliber for target shooting and hunting if you choose to do so. And they're real easy to work on. I'm sure Jeffro can attest to this.

·
Registered
406 Posts
mabbottusmc said:
CAli has it's own ban that's actually more restrictive then the US ban. So none of that really mattered to us. I can still only carry 10+1 rounds in my gun at work, not the 15+ I could in other states and alot of otehr things. We've got all types of people in cali. I love to own guns and was raised around them. Most people I find have never been around them and don't want to be. Damn cali and their laws.
cali sux! in NH we can have the 15 rds and suppressors, full auto, etc .........
you guys get shafted! All you have to do is find someone that will ship you the high caps and you'll be all set. OH that's right you'll still go to jail!HAHA

·
Registered
328 Posts
Nah, you guys have it all wrong...get a pistol and make sure it's a 1911.

Personally I'm not a rifle/long gun fan. The only time I really use them is hunting, and I don't do much of that anymore. A pistol is so much more practical and useful. If I was to buy a tactical rifle it'd be a Wilson Combat M-4T or the UT-15.

Dano

·
Registered
328 Posts
jjaredRR said:
cali sux! in NH we can have the 15 rds and suppressors, full auto, etc .........
you guys get shafted! All you have to do is find someone that will ship you the high caps and you'll be all set. OH that's right you'll still go to jail!HAHA

Yeah full auto if you have a ClassIII permit.

Dano

1 - 20 of 46 Posts