Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To end the whole debate of gutting the stock intake is actually bad for the bike if it is street only, I did some testing. Sorry it took a little bit longer then expected; I had to fix my MAP sensor and get the bike out of limp mode before I could do the testing.

The bikes used where:
- My 2008 CBR600RR with gutted intake. Only modifications to the engine/exhaust are PAIR removal, and removed exhaust flapper.
- A friends 2007 CBR600RR with stock intake. Bone stock.
Local weather (at time of testing):
96*F (with humidity factored in)
86*F (actual temperature without humidity correction)
72% relative humidity
73* dewpoint
Partial cloud coverage
10mph winds blowing east

I was the only rider during testing. With full gear (helmet, chest/back protector, gloves, boots, pants, and jacket), 159lbs on the scale. I'm 5'6".

For the testing, an Extec Anemometer capable of testing wind speed and pressure, was used. The anemometer was zero'd out to remove the air pressure of being at sea level (13.78psi was showing). The probe end was inserted into the airboxes of the bikes just before the air filter. 2 runs at each gearing and RPM range where done per bike. The test was conducted on private property with a .5mile stretch of road encircling the property, so there was no use of unlawful speed on public roads. 1/4 mile was used for the testing each run, with 1/8 mile run-up and stopping space.

Code:
[B][U]2008 CBR600RR, gutted intake:[/U][/B]
[B]---30mph, 1st gear, ~7,000RPM[/B]
Run 1: .8psi, 32.1mph air speed
Run 2: .8psi 31.6mph air speed
[B]Average: .8psi, 31.85air speed[/B]
[B]---30mph, 6th gear, ~3,000RPM[/B]
Run 1: .85psi, 30.2mph air speed
Run 2: .8psi, 29.9mph air speed
[B]Average: .825psi, 30.05mph air speed[/B]

[B]---60mph, 1st gear, ~13,000RPM[/B]
Run 1: 1.2psi, 62.4mph air speed
Run 2: 1.3psi, 61.3mph air speed
[B]Average: 1.25psi, 61.85mph air speed[/B]
[B]---60mph, 6th, gear, ~6,000RPM[/B]
Run 1: 1.4psi, 61.5mph air speed
Run 2: 1.2psi, 61.9mph air speed
[B]Average: 1.2psi, 61.7mph air speed[/B]
[B]
---100mph, 3rd gear, ~ 14,000RPM[/B]
Run 1: 2.1psi, 104.3mph air speed
Run 2: 2.4psi, 98.9mph air speed
[B]Average: 2.25psi, 101.6mph air speed[/B]
[B]---100mph, 6th gear, ~ 10,000RPM[/B]
Run 1: 2.8psi, 102.1mph air speed
Run 2: 2.7psi, 100.5mph air speed
[B]Average: 2.75psi, 101.3mph air speed[/B]
Code:
[B][U]2007 CBR600RR, stock intake:[/U][/B]
[B]---30mph, 1st gear, ~7,000RPM[/B]
Run 1: .65psi, 29.8mph air speed
Run 2: .7psi 30.1mph air speed
[B]Average: .675psi, 29.95mph air speed[/B]
[B]---30mph, 6th gear, ~3,000RPM[/B]
Run 1: .8psi, 32.5mph air speed
Run 2: .79psi, 31.2mph air speed
[B]Average: .795psi, 31.85mph air apeed[/B]
[B]
---60mph, 1st gear, ~13,000RPM[/B]
Run 1: .9psi, 58.7mph air speed
Run 2: 1psi, 59.1mph air speed
[B]Average: .95, 58.9mph air speed[/B]
[B]---60mph, 6th, gear, ~6,000RPM[/B]
Run 1: .95psi, 56.9mph air speed
Run 2: .8psi, 57.2mph air speed
[B]Average: .925psi, 57.05mph air speed[/B]

[B]---100mph, 3rd gear, ~ 14,000RPM[/B]
Run 1: 1.5, 89.6mph air speed
Run 2: 1.8psi, 94.1mph air speed
[B]Average: 1.65psi, 91.85mph air speed[/B]
[B]---100mph, 6th gear, ~ 10,000RPM[/B]
Run 1: 1.8psi, 93.2mph air speed
Run 2: 1.9psi, 94.6mph air speed
[B]Average: 1.85psi, 93.9mph air speed[/B]

During testing, my bike with the gutted intake felt like it could get on the power quicker. Starting from a dead stop, the bike would pick up and go around 3,000RPM, where as the 2007 with stock intake would bog until it was above 4,5000RPM. Acceleration was a bit stronger with the gutted intake as well; getting up to 100mph it was smooth as could be. The 2007 with the stock intake was smooth as well, but there was a clear difference between the mid and top end. On the track or street, I doubt that difference would mean anything other then a few fractions of a second, but it was a big enough difference to notice. In the top end with the non-gutted intake, it felt like it wanted to mellow out a bit, where as the gutted intake just kept on pulling. The results clearly show that in the air pressure and wind speed.

The gutted intake compared to the stock intake is louder as well. Measured from 50' at idle speed, 2008 CBR600RR yielded 76db while the 2007 was at 74db.

Overall, gutting of the intake let the bike breath better at all speeds and RPM's. The fins in the intake are indeed just noise and air restrictions. As you can tell, at lower speeds, the fins did NOT increase air pressure or air speed, as some said they would.

Is this mod worth it for the street? That all depends on what you want from your bike. I'm sure about 90% of the people who own this bike wont see any benefit from this, so unless you have a decent amount of experience on a bike, it's not worth the trouble.
If you're tracking the bike, it is indeed worth the trouble. A Ten Kate or replica air intake may not even be much more of an increase in airflow over the stock intake, but air turbulence would indeed be lowered, possibly giving more of an improvement that could be the difference between 1st and 2nd on the track. I don't have a TK intake to test, so that's just an assumption on my part and should not be taken as factual information.

I hope you all like the results, lol. :wave:
Oh, and one more thing, both bikes where being run on 92 octane, 10% ethanol, from the local Shell station.

Edit: For a how-to of gutting the intake, click the link below.
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=101096

·
Registered
156 Posts
That's awesome. Thanks for taking the time to do this all.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Nice Job Demented!! I'm gonna probably do this mod and you will be a big part of it. Extra Large Pizza being delivered to your house as we speak ..no anchovies of course

:toothy4:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. It took about 3 hours to get it all done. Removed the airbox in both bikes 2x today for it all; 22 times total now, lol. Don't mess up your MAP sensor like I did, lol.

If I ever get my hands on a 2003-2006 600RR, I'll make sure to do the same testing to see how much of a difference there is between the two styles of intakes.
Nice Job Demented!! I'm gonna probably do this mod and you will be a big part of it. Extra Large Pizza being delivered to your house as we speak ..no anchovies of course

:toothy4:
Pizza sounds good about now. Is there any Budweiser coming as well? :all_cohol

·
Premium Member
51,156 Posts
Brilliant work man thank you on behalf of .net Addicts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Wow, this is a very impressive demonstration of someone who has a passion (oh and more time on their hands than I do) for motorcycles. Great job dude.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you're tracking the bike, it is indeed worth the trouble. A Ten Kate or replica air intake may not even be much more of an increase in airflow over the stock intake, but air turbulence would indeed be lowered, possibly giving more of an improvement that could be the difference between 1st and 2nd on the track. I don't have a TK intake to test, so that's just an assumption on my part and should not be taken as factual information.
Well done , fantastic test mate.

Can you please clarify for a new owner? I have bought the Ten Kate replica .... is the air intake different from the standard bike? I was told that this bike is exactly the same as the standard, just different colors and a few stickers.

Thanks, it's appreciated

·
Registered
295 Posts
u have a coloured replica of the ten kate race bike

the replica ten kate air intake is a replica of a part from the real race bike

so your bike is standard bar colours!

HTH?

Cheers

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.