Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have allllllllways wanted to get a sportbike. My Mom has never liked the idea, but I know if I push it enough, she will let me. I have been racing/riding quads for the past 4-5 years, so I have the knowledge of how to ride, etc etc. I went into the yamaha and honda dealer the other day to look around, and ended up putting a deposit on a 2005 yfz450 race quad. I am now having second thoughts. I really would LOOOOVE to have an RR or an R6 or something of the sort. My Mom is worried about me getting hurt(by other cars, not by me not being able to ride the bike, obviously since I raced quads), so I dont want to get her upset when I ride it, but I also dont want to spend 7k on a quad, and always wish I would have bought the sportbike. What do I do?

All opinions and help would be GREAT! Thanks.

Kyle

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's really a weird toss up to say hmmm do I get a quad or do I get a RR? I wouldn't go with a RR or a R6 for my first bike... best bet is to get your deposit back buy a beater bike and screw it up and if in 6 months u still want to get a RR then go for it. what ever bike u get make sure u respect it... :shock:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm 18 and attending school in Princeton. Any suggestions what to tell the parents to ease their minds?

I've riden my friends r6, and it wasnt a problem to ride at all...I figure the R6 and RR are pretty close(power wise) so I think i'd go for one of those 2. Thanks.

Kyle

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Your mother shouldn't be the only nervous one. You should be as well. There are some serious risks to riding on the street. At 18, I'd say stick to quads, you haven't figured out how mortal you are yet. I've said it before that I don't think anyone under thirty should be allowed to buy a sport bike. If you are in college, even princeton, there will be drinking. I'd have killed myself if I had a bike at St. Bonaventure. If you do get the bike, and it's your call, Don't mix the two.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I'm not going to say not get the bike at all...............but.....don't confuse being able to ride a 4 wheeler in the dirt where you don't have other cars, traffic diversions, etc with riding a motorcycle on the road. Just because they both have a motor and a clutch doesn't mean they are anything alike. As said above, I wouldn't recommend any SS bike for a beginning rider, which, you are no matter if you can ride or not.
You do however have a lot going for you if you are fairly comfortable operating the bike. Just don't get cocky about it, cause that is when it will whip your ass.
You're probably going to take this post one of two ways....either you'll totally disagree with everything I just said and think you already know everything about riding, or you'll understand the things I'm saying about riding to a degree and understand if you pick the bike, there is still a lot to learn.

As for your mom, there really isn't anything you can say to her to ease her mind. The best things you can do for her if you choose the bike is be as responsible as you can about it, takes the MSF, wear gear always, and don't show off on the bike, especially when she is around. Only time will help to ease her worry, but it will never be totally gone. I'm still young, 25 and I've been riding since I was your age and my mom still worries a lot, all the time; and I expect her to till the day I quit riding....the only thing I can do for her and the others that worry about me riding(my wife, family, friends) is try to be a responsible rider and not take unnescessary risks. Best of luck with your decision, let us know what you end up doing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the excellent posts. I appreciate everyone's comments! I do plan on taking the MSF course, along with buying full leathers for whenever I do take the bike out. I think it might be safer to practice on the backroads around my town, before going onto the more busy ones. From my house, I have access to miles and miles of roads where you don't see many other cars.

I am going to do some thinking tonight about what I should do. Thanks again everyone, and if you have anymore advice, please share.

Kyle

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Motoracer, sounds like you have your head screwed on pretty straight. Best of luck on your decision.
Where do you live?

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
Adults make adult decisions (well most of us I would hope), buy the bike if you feel you are responsible enough to own and operate one.

MSF is a must at any age.

Good luck with your decision.
Jason

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Yeah...Make the choice on what you think. If you feel you're ready for the responsiblity, then go for it. I'm only 16 and I got the RR as my first bike. I didn't lay it down in the first year, and I can say that since I'm not going to be riding next year, or until im done with college in 2011ish(hockey career) Good luck with whatever you choose, and the RR is one helluva ride

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Uhhh, Full leathers may be slight overkill for street riding unless you get into the Power Rangers. :lol2: Just my opinion. Yes, it is safer, but I'd just look for some of those kevlar lined jeans. I just wear normal jeans though. I figure I've lived through 150 other skinned knees, waht's one more (Until it starts to itch). Leather jacket, gloves, Riding specific boots, and a good helmet is enough

And YES, the back roads are the place to learn. That's how I did it. It's good to avoid the traffic. Find a nice curvy road and run it untill you could do it blindfolded. I was lucky enough to have ellis creek road within a mile of my place. Very technical curves and less than one car per five miles of road. I still love it.

BTW. Happy Halloween All!

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
i had a friend of mine that has been racing quads for quite some time, still is if i remember right. Well he got himself a Triumph 954, i think it was. seen him on it a few times last year, didn't ride it much. I asked him just the other day if he still had it. Nope, he said he had to get rid of it, it scared the hell out him, just too much to handle on the street.

Just remeber, any street bike, even moreover the SS type bikes, are a whole different animal than a quad. Then you throw in the added traffic and pavement, you got guardrails and oil spots on the road. Generally speaking, one small mistake could take your life.

All-in-all, it's your descision. If you take to the street bikes, great, enjoy your new found hobby. But by all means, ride safe and within your limits. Take the MSF course as soon as possible. It's the most useful type of training you could receive.

Good luck, and happy riding..... 2 or 4 wheels

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys ! From India and not sure what this MSF course is...whit is it?? SOme special course just for motorcycle riders??

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
well Motoracer, it really seems like you're ready for a bike as long as you're not just gonna get it and mess around. like Visitor Q said, adults make adult decisions. if you get a bike, be an adult about it. i'm 19 now, and have been riding since early 17, and the one thing that's saved my ass the whole time was keeping my head screwed on tight the whole time. just be careful either way you go. :mrgreen:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts