Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, ideally I'm hoping someone who had both an 03-06 and an 07-08 can chime in here. When I had my 06 for three years I never once thought to myself that I needed more bottom end power. In fact, I laughed when people got sprocket upgrades because I felt the bike had plenty of power below 5-6k rpm.

Then I got my 07, and for the first time I actually felt the lack of bottom end power. Below 6k there's not really any serious pull that my 06 had, even in 1st gear. But don't get me wrong, after that I can surely feel the improvement in mid-range power over my old 06. I thought, that something is wrong with my 07 because it's supposed to be a step up from previous years in every aspect.

Then I was talking to makct04 and he brought up the fact that the 03-06 has stock gearing of 16/43, and the 07+ has stock gearing of 16/42. Could this be the reason why I felt my 06 had more pull on the bottom end of the power band?

Both bikes were custom mapped by the same guy on the same dyno, and my 07 came out making considerably more power (in terms of the gains, not end number). Yet, the bottom end on my 07 still seems lacking somewhat. I just want some insight into this, and whether or not it's the different gearing making the difference. Again, input from owners who had/have both generations would be appreciated. Thanks :ciao:

·
IS GHEY FOR PHATTY!!!
3,356 Posts
have u deleted the pair valves? and is your exhaust a full or s/o? my 07 pulled much harder then the 06 stock and way more after a pair valve and full exhaust...had both done on both bikes

·
Ain't Even Excited
1,769 Posts
I made the transition from 06 to 07 as well, and can't say I feel that it's that big of a difference (low-end). However, my 07's throttle is quite a bit more "touchy".

I will say that on a rare occasion if i'm riding around like a grandma, then yes I will notice the "low-end" lag, but ... who likes to ride like a grandma? Open that throttle when you engage the clutch! haha

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I thought the gearing on '07 up was 15/42.

Is you new bike used?
How many miles?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
have u deleted the pair valves? and is your exhaust a full or s/o? my 07 pulled much harder then the 06 stock and way more after a pair valve and full exhaust...had both done on both bikes
I'm not sure. The bike came with a jardine slipon already. I never touched the exhaust.

I made the transition from 06 to 07 as well, and can't say I feel that it's that big of a difference (low-end). However, my 07's throttle is quite a bit more "touchy".

I will say that on a rare occasion if i'm riding around like a grandma, then yes I will notice the "low-end" lag, but ... who likes to ride like a grandma? Open that throttle when you engage the clutch! haha
So you feel your 07 has more bottom end than your 06? Don't get me wrong, after 6k this bike pulls like a mofo. It's just that I wish it had that bottom pull that my 06 had, and I really don't want to mess with the gearing too.

I thought the gearing on '07 up was 15/42.

Is you new bike used?
How many miles?
Nope, 07 has 16/42 gearing.
https://www.motomummy.com/store/pages.php?pageid=1

I bought my bike used with 5000 miles. It has 7500 miles right now.

For what it's worth, here's the dyno chart for my 07, the before and after for the custom tuning:

And, here's my 06. Unfortunately I only have the end run after the tuning was done. It did a baseline of 103.5 though. It had more performance goodies too: full ARROW exhaust and BMC air filter, whereas my 07 only has a jardine s/o.

Now, even though they look similar regarding their bottom power bands, I just feel that my 07 is lacking in that department and I kinda wish I had my 06 back. The bottom power was crisp and strong with no lag. Hell, even the midrange was fine too.

·
Ain't Even Excited
1,769 Posts
So you feel your 07 has more bottom end than your 06? Don't get me wrong, after 6k this bike pulls like a mofo. It's just that I wish it had that bottom pull that my 06 had, and I really don't want to mess with the gearing too.
I'm not saying that, no. I just think the difference is negligible. I am no expert by any means, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
intesting ... your own dyno results show the newer bike having more power ... the newer bike is lighter ... i think its in your head man, i seriously dobt the -1t in the rear makes for a big difference.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
intesting ... your own dyno results show the newer bike having more power ... the newer bike is lighter ... i think its in your head man, i seriously dobt the -1t in the rear makes for a big difference.
negative on that. Curiosity got the best of me, and I rode my friend's 05 a couple days back to confirm. Still felt that the 05-06 had more bottom end than my bike, despite what the dyno says.

Have you ridden an 07? If not, try to one day. Maybe you'll see what I mean.

·
Premium Member
51,156 Posts
Honda did make some slight changes when the 07 RR came out they improved the mid range torque in comparison to the 06 RR so that had to have its effect on the low end.At the same token you can increase the low end torque slightly if you go down one tooth at the front sprocket just bare in mind that will also affect your mid range and the top end slightly & you can switch to a 520 chain but if you do not keep up with chain adjustments and maintenance the sprockets will wear out faster . Its usually cheaper to do the front sprocket and not the rear sprocket .In general 1 down at the front = +2 at the rear and either change will have the same effect on gearing

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Moeman, thanks for the input. I know you had an older generation too before your 07. Did you notice that your 03 had a little more bottom end than your 07?

I'll keep the -1 in the front open as a possibility, although I really want to avoid messing with the gearing.

·
Premium Member
51,156 Posts
Moeman, thanks for the input. I know you had an older generation too before your 07. Did you notice that your 03 had a little more bottom end than your 07?

I'll keep the -1 in the front open as a possibility, although I really want to avoid messing with the gearing.
Its not that you will hurt anything the - 1 in the front will give you stronger take off's from dead stop but will take off some top end grunt so its a trade off so to speak . Another option you can also get a 520 chain as its lighter then the 525 stock chain if you do that make sure to keep up with chain adjustments as lighter chains tend to wear out faster.

I actually did feel the bottom end on the 07 is slightly weaker than the 03 but for me its ok cause i like the stronger mid range & top end i left the front sprocket alone but went 2 up in the back as its less wear and tear and i kept the chain 525 as stock i commute daily so the 520 wont last as much as the 525 does

Reactions: redlinernyc

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the confirmation Moeman. I'm not gonna touch the gearing. I'll just stick with OEM gearing.

By the way, I was always curious what rpm the midrange consisted of. Is it 6k-11k?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.