Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm riding through town today, and this is after i stopped at all my buddies houses who have bikes and no one was home, so i was cruising around by myself. Anyways i'm on a back road and i'm playing around a bit bringing the front end up, and i roll back the throttle in first gear like a typically do to bring it up on the back wheel, and my RPMs shoot all the way up near redline and the front wheel didn't come up at all, it felt like the back wheel just spun and that i hit a wet spot on the pavement when i cracked the throttle, so i was like wtf was that. Anyways i just rolled to the traffic lights that were about 1500ft away when i tried to pull it up, i was still unaware of the situation. Anyways i'm sitting at the lights waiting traffic to go by so i can turn, and i release the clutch but the bike doesn't move at all, so now i'm like wtf has happened here. So i pull in the clutch and make sure i'm in gear and not sitting in neutral or some ****, didn't know if maybe my neutral light wasn't coming on or what was going on or if i lost first gear or what the deal was, so i shift up and try to get it moving in second, still nothing. By this time i notice that when i release the clutch and give it gas expecting it to move my speedometer is climbing and thinking the bike is moving. So now i've been sitting at the lights for like a minute and people are wondering what the **** i'm doing and now theres a guy on a harley riding over to help me out and see what the deal is. And before i can get off my bike and look it over i tell him what its doing and he looks back and says, well one problem is you have no chain. I turn back look at my rear sprocket then look back about 1000ft and theirs my chain sitting back on the road. So he follows me as i push my bike back to go grab my chain, and what happened is my master link apparently let go. I'm just happy it didn't split my engine casing or bind up and look up my sprockets and buck me off or really **** something up. I guess i got lucky in a sense, but is their a reason this would happen?

·
Registered
327 Posts
power wheelies are hard on your sprocket and chain. Have you recently changed it or had if off for any reason? If so you may not have put it back together secure enough. Glad you are ok..it could have been a lot worse.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nah i bought the bike about 2 months ago, its an 04, haven't touched the chain yet. Its kind of a lose, lose situation isn't it cause if your clutching your wheelies up i don't imagine thats great on your clutch is it, i just prefer to power mine up i know alot of people on here prefer using the clutch and say that its easier to clutch it, but i find i can get it to stand up alot better and feel alot more comfortable powering mine up. But once i get another master link this is gonna be sitting in the back of my head for awhile now.

·
C.A.H.N founder / President
11,188 Posts
Yeah I always fear chain breakage. So yours just came off and everything was ok. What are some of the worst things that happen when it comes off other than going through the engine case?

C

·
0 Posts
When writing these stories, please break up into paragraphs. Otherwise it just runs into one big illegible snooze fest.

I declare it a new man law!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well my fear was if i would of been going like 140km/h or something and it let loose what if it would of binded up in the sprockets and locked up my rear tire, or if it binds up near the front sprocket i don't imagine that would be to good on the engine if your riding along at a good pace and all of a sudden the chains binds up with the front sprocket and then parts in your bottom end that were turning that fast all of a sudden are forced to a spot something might let loose inside of the engine which would not be good.

A chain breaking never even really crossed my mind, wasn't something i was really concerned about, but now its gonna be totally different. I know its likely pretty rare, and it was likely the clip holding my master link wasn't on all the way or correctly which caused this incident, but once something like this happens to u once, its make ya think what if it happens again when i'm topping on down a country road.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
buck_y_lee said:
This is a good thing. Your RR obviously has too much power for the chain to handle. Congratulations!
thats likely the excuse i'll use with my buddies who have bikes. lol

·
Super Mod Wanna-be
3,168 Posts
That's one reason to keep an endless chain on the bike. I remember reading from another forum I used to visit that this guy was hauling ass on the highway and his master link snapped. The chain got sucked up into to the front sprocket and totaled the bike. I'm pretty sure he crashed and got pretty hurt too. Not fun.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I'd bet a large sum of $ that the master link wasn't installed correctly on the chain. My chain has a master link clip type and I've put the bike through a very hard 15K miles since putting it on without a single problem. My last several bikes have also used master links when installing new chains with no problems either.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Damn, glad youre ok man. That story kinda reminds me when my buddy's front sprocket slipped off the drive shaft on his R6, we were like "wtf is the deal, did you just fry you clutch??"

crotch_rocket_pilot said:
I declare it a new man law!
Bwahahah "Man Law!!" *as Burt Reynolds (with mustache and all) raises his Miller*

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
thats really chitty, i think this is pretty rare, i havn't read a post like this on here since ive been a member.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts