Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so friggin frustrated; there are some major infrstructure revamping right outside where I live and I cant ride my bike as a result. The terrain is rugged and I fear it could adversely affect my bike's suspension. So I'm waiting it out. All I can do is just ride it around in my complex's underground garage. The problem is I barely hit 5000 rpm in first gear, obviously because there isn't enough space.

Now, I heard that the battery only charges after you exceed 5000rpm. It is a new bike, 2011 only 7750KM on it, but it has been in the garage for 2 months with occasional warming up. I fear for tyre dry rot, rust and all that crap, including the battery losing juice. So should I still ride it around in the garage or leave it until I can ride it on the streets. THX

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
tyres generally have a 6 year lifespan (from construction to destruction) so they shouldn't rot, just move the bike now & again to avoid flat spots. the battery shouldn't drain too much unless you have something which uses the battery like an alarm, not sure about rust as I don't know about humidity & stuff in kuwait, but if the bike is inside then it shouldn't suffer, especially in 2 months.

I think what you are doing should be enough, guys store their bikes for 6 months at a time with very few issues

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
dude if you can get a car out then you can get the bike out. nuttynu did like 50 miles offroad the other day, without a glitch. i think you are over protective. the tires and suspension can take a lot. ride it through.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Unless they have like 3ft deep potholes dug that you're going to be plowing through, don't worry about it. You think a bike with 30k miles on it has only been rode on brand new, smooth pavement?

·
OG
3,350 Posts
Reminder status: Honda

If you have fear, 86 it for a couple months. Having fear on sketchy terrain is a pretty good recipe for a drop. If you can get past the fear, give it a go! :thumbup:

I disconnect my battery for months with no adverse affects. Starts up every time I reconnect. Tires will be fine. Gas has at least a 6 month life, too. You'll be ok. :)

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Like you couldn't just walk it a little bit past the construction? Two months time likely will not effect your battery charge and sure as hell won't dry rot your tires, that's funny. Rust? come on, you have a stock stainless steel exhaust, pretty much everything else is aluminum. Your rotors are the only thing I could think of and unless it's poring rain in your garage, they won't develop rust in two months time either. Scorpion would never approve of your whining by the way.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
i agree with these guys. you got nothing to worry about. like Swan said, i store my bike from Nov thru April and i never have any problems with rust, dry rotting tires, or gas. granted i put gas stabilizer and remove my battery while in storage.

just go slow and easy through the construction....i was on a trip last year and came to a sign "caution pavement ends: next 6 miles". 6 miles later i was back on pavement cruising along. although i did stop at the next gas station to check my tires and makes sure nothing looked outta wack

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
i road through construction for en entire summer. im talking a completely ripped up road. only issue. it was impossible to keep my bike clean. not a big deal.

·
BOTM Winner 05/15
9,996 Posts
My bike has been down more dirt roads and single track trails then I can count, and dirtier then one of those Kardashian whores.

Get out and enjoy that bike. Dirt isn't permanent.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just make sure to keep your forks semi clean, and replace your fork seals if they start to look bad. I heard having to rechrome your forks sucks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you decide to ride just take it slow,idiots in cars will try to push you to go faster through road work zones. I have riden on some pretty bad roads and I think the worst for me is when they rip up the old pavement and leave it grooved

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm daily commuting on ripped up/ grooved pavement daily with potholes through out it. I also hit dirt roads once a week to get to my daughters soccer practice. Man up and ride, take it easy and you'll be larning alot about how your bike reacts to different surfaces and just what it is really capable of.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I dunno why people say the battery doesnt charge until 5krpm's. 2 nights ago i was working on the bike(hids) to be exact. The bike did a slow turn over, just enough juice to start. I let her idle for about 10 mins, and did a couple rev bumps to 4k, and she charged up fine.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you decide to ride just take it slow,idiots in cars will try to push you to go faster through road work zones. I have riden on some pretty bad roads and I think the worst for me is when they rip up the old pavement and leave it grooved
Around here, they leave certain parts of roads grooved year round like big hills and sharp turns, since they are death traps in the winter when snow hits. I avoid those roads for the most part, grooved roads are not fun when the groves aren't even friggen strait, i can feel the bike moving with the grooves in the road, and its very unnerving.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks for all the useful input, and now to clarify a little thing to the accusers. I rode on a road with twisty grooves and just like JackDaWack mentioned, you can't help feeling like you could fall any second, so save the manning up comments for someone else. I also rode it through some fine sand and felt the tyres going out of line a number of times, I kept it up and enjoyed it as a matter of fact.

When I say adversely affect my bike's suspension, I mean if I will start riding it, it'll be everyday. So the bike will pass through this crap 2 times a day for something like a month, maybe more. Which, I thought could take a toll on the suspenion. Anyways I will give it a shot and see how it goes.

@03cbr-rider:Don't make me send him to your place...
@Maaku: I'll post a pic soon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts