Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen or heard of a hard brake line conversion being done on a bike? I was thinking of 1/4" stainless hard line like cars have bent into place to ride along the fork tubes and up to the master. There would be no flex in the line, great brake feel, and the parts are cheap. Anyone?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Almost an interesting idea. I don't think it'd be as beneficial as you think considering you'd only be able to run it down the upper tubes. You'd need "soft" lines from the bottom of the fork tube to the caliper.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really not that crazy of an idea, aside from the fact that I forgot to factor in suspension clearance. If you ran hard lines for most of the way into a short braided line to allow for suspension travel, you would greatly reduce the amount of line that is subject to flexing under pressure.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I understand your idea. I doubt it would benefit as much as you think. Steel braided lines eliminate the swell. It wouldn't be worth the trouble.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Has anyone seen or heard of a hard brake line conversion being done on a bike? I was thinking of 1/4" stainless hard line like cars have bent into place to ride along the fork tubes and up to the master. There would be no flex in the line, great brake feel, and the parts are cheap. Anyone?
Why the f*ck would you do that?

·
Registered
793 Posts
I understand your idea. I doubt it would benefit as much as you think. Steel braided lines eliminate the swell. It wouldn't be worth the trouble.
Exactly.

It's not a dumb idea but you would still need the sections that flex to be flexible and the SS braided lines on the market now aren't going to expand any more than what you would end up with. I don't think you would notice any difference at all.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Even in that chop, you can't hook up a solid line to your clip ons, how will you steer?

Face palm x2
As long as he keeps the hard lines tight to the right fork, he should be ok....I don't get what you are saying about not being able to put a solid line from clips on down the fork. As long as it there is flex at the bottom of the fork, it should work fine....

There will be more connections and places for leaks, but still a unique look. Most probably wouldn't notice, but w/e.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Oh and for the OP, if you do this, make sure you dont just put extra slack in the flex part of the line (the teal part in your drawing). I would just make a loop, instead of having it bow out.....ill try to draw a pic now in paint...but im working with a touch pad...no mouse.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I made my line pink. Just make sure there is enough slack in the line to go from max (and not kink the line) and not so much so that the slack gets snagged on something when the suspension is bottomed out.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I think if MotoGP bikes can get away with normal stainless steel or kevlar lines, you should be fine with one of those options.
STOP USING LOGIC.:banghead:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.