Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out for a ride this afternoon and as I came round a bend the cars had stopped for some road works so I squeezed the front brake hard, the bike juddered violently and the back fishtailed right and left and then I stopped.
I am now concerned that I have done something to the bike, i.e. warped my discs or something.
Can I please have your advice?
Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
i doubt it... these things can take a beating... you'd have to be on the track braking hard to warp them that quickly. Its not like some cars where you make one very hard stop and then the discs overheat and start warping. It is a lot harder to warp our disc while riding on the street.

next time pull the clutch in when doing an emergency brake instead of downshifting or leaving it in gear. and if you lock the rear, stay on it locked, dont release it as it may upset the bike more.
I myself have released the rear after locking it and havent had any problems but its better to be safe than sorry. Plus they teach you that at MSF.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Ride fairly slowly, say 10-20 mph and gently hit the brakes making them barley catch. If you feel a pulsing sensation then they might be warped, if they don't you should be fine.

If they do pulsate, try retorqueing the rotor screws first. Sometimes they feel warped when a screw gets loose. If it still persists then you might be outta luck.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.
I think come to think of it that I squeezed the front brake and stomped on the rear brake too, fortunately I wasn't leaned over.
I had no pulsing of the brake lever on the rest of my journey so hopefully fine but I think I have a bald spot on my newish rear BT016 tyre :0(

·
Registered
90 Posts
front tire

you most likely locked up the front tire. That's what it felt like for me when i locked the front one up and medium speed and upright. dont worry about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts