Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FYI, I didn't write it and it can be found over here: http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=163039

The things I've seen..... Of my years of riding on infamous backroads such as Highway 9/Woodside areas/ infamous Highway 1, Skaggs, and other roads I forgot the names of, I've seen quite a bit of crashes and it's aftermath....

I came upon a body where the head was twisted completely around on the body lying in the middle of Highway 35.....I didn't know the person nor did anyone else....just a nameless person who was out there to enjoy the day as everyone else...

I had to hold the jugular vein of a woman's neck after she went head on into a van's bumper after crossing the double yellow over a blind hill resulting in tearing her jaw off and barely passing out from shock and lost of blood only to find out she just started to ride but had a chip on her shoulder to prove something to someone which only thing she proved was how easily one can lose a life....

I had to explain to San Mateo Sheriffs and CHP how a young man was decapitated after going off the road and into barbwire fence on a goat trail on Pescadero.....

I had to direct traffic, give statements to best of my knowledge after 2 Ducati riders went head with each other on 84 and one was literally split in half while staring at his liver and organs in the middle of the road.....

I watch as an ambulance crew put a yellow tarp over the body of a recent father of his first child leaving his wife a widow after he hit a mail box on 84 just before the Fire Station.....

I had to take apart a guardrail to pull out a leg of a rider who target fixated and went over the hill only to have his leg caught underneath his FZR1000...

I hold in my arms a good friend who I had to watch his life fade from his eyes after he highsided and had his bike crush and puncture his lungs and heart only to remember him crying for his mother who he hasn't seen in years and was to have dinner the same night as his tragic death only to tell his mother what had happened and watch his family break down in front of me asking me why do we ride...

Then there are countless broken bones that needed first aids to after a rider was trying to keep up with the faster guys or those who got scrapes and scratches all over which are the lucky ones.....

And I'll also never forget only to be laughing, joking around, going out for a ride one weekend only to find out they were killed while riding on the same roads theyve seen 100s of times....

With the internet, I witness the body of a good friend lying on the road with a car on fire in the background.....

If you're wondering why I'm posting this, well, let me say if you don't want to be or watch friends go through the same thing, then slow the hell down on the streets......

ALL THESE ACCIDENTS AND DEATH COULD OF BEEN PREVENTED AND THESE VERY LIVES COULD OF BEEN STILL WITH US LAUGHING IT UP WITH THE REST OF US ON BARF...

There are NO prizes for the fastest rider and the ONLY REWARD worth deserving is coming home safely and to hug your loved ones another day.....

Please be safe out there and leave your ego and pride at home ....

This post is a great reminder for all of us. We can easily forget how speed can kill. Even roads that we are familiar with can have the unexpected up ahead, resulting in a crash. Sportbikes do require split second decisions, but they also require well thought out desisions like not going too fast. Take the time to remember to take your time. Don't rush into the ride. Ride to live another day...

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
That is a really good post...I'm not actually snikwad...I'm his girl, but we're on the phone right now and I read the post to him. It's really scarry. I thought about getting a bike too, but it makes me think twice, especially since a lot of riders here in my area die of crashes every day.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
xCOOCOOKALx said:
Was this guy an EMT or something?
I dunno, but I'm kinda thinking no because he says how he has watched over the ambulance crew...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
snikwad said:
That is a really good post...I'm not actually snikwad...I'm his girl, but we're on the phone right now and I read the post to him. It's really scarry. I thought about getting a bike too, but it makes me think twice, especially since a lot of riders here in my area die of crashes every day.
There was nothing wrong with the bike in a lot of these crashes. It's just that the rider was riding too fast for conditions. Happens all the time. Keep it in your pants and you'll be okay...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No problem... Pretty intense. A language that any rider from any country can relate to. Ride safe out there!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good post CV, and this is why I'm not all for "Well, if it's his time to go then it's his time to go" or "at least he died doing what he loved."

For me, if you love the sport so much why not take precautions so that you can enjoy it longer. Afterall, we all know just how dangerous this sport is. And if a plane happens to come crashing down on you, and you die then so be it. But at least it was out of your control. Just my take on it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hmm this guy seems like a bad luck charm to me.

Seems like a lot of stuff for one person to witness, unless he's a Firefighter, EMS, or cop.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
fire1811 said:
Hmm this guy seems like a bad luck charm to me.

Seems like a lot of stuff for one person to witness, unless he's a Firefighter, EMS, or cop.
go riding in the bay area.... I spent 3 years there.. and witness my share of accidents on the same roads has he did.. But never a failure one though.

Too many people treat the roads as their own personal race track.. and the heavy traffic of the bay area doesn't help...

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
damn thats def deep. i jus read the BARF thread too.
this guy John (V4) been on BARF since 02'. who knows
how old he is, what his job is, what he rides, if he rides...
yada yada yada blah blah blah...all i know is that
he is a seasoned vet of those roads to be postin
experiences like that. especially the one about the turniquett.
those experiences is some serious sh!t to think about!!!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
snikwad said:
For th most part, if you keep it kool and safe like the writer is trying to point out, you can easily prevent serious injuries in a crash. I used to push it, but now I ride well within my abilities. I havent broke 100 in over 6 months and very rarely break 90. On twisties, I hold back even though I really want to push it. I wont do wheelies any more... And I would have to say, my cautious/safe riding habits have come about because of all the stuff that Ive seen...

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I used to push it everywhere around here. But now I've toned it down to going fast only with some friends with me and open area (Spanish [email protected] berryessa/Skaggs/guardrail/canyon-type of roads). The roads with woody/trench/cliffs (Redwood/Skyline/Hwy1) I keep it down to just above or around speed limit. Because if you go down for whatever reason, and nobody saw you...
It's gonna be a long while before someone gets worried and can get to you.
Thanks for the post.

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
sup fellaz, im kinda glad it scared her, cause i really wouldnt be able to handle her riding and falling.
id blame myself, no matter whos fault it is.
Plus im not a big fan of her driving either, id bite my fingers off if she rode a bike.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts