Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not change your pads, but remove the caliper and all?

I had been contemplating doing this for a long time now. I NEVER use my rear brake on the street or the track. I like to consider myself to be very proficient with it...and good initial hard biting pad and I'm in heaven...

So...today I finally took it off. I had a leak coming from the rear reservoir so no perfect time then now to just do it.

Good idea? Bad idea?

As I mentioned, I never use and I am 100% comfortable with using only the front.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,767 Posts
makes no sense to get rid of it. will the ounces saved make you faster? it's a life safety system, you may never use it but what happens if you have a malfunction with the front brakes?

and you'll never pass tech

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Rent the track and you can do what you please. Well with in reason.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I definitely hear what all of you guys are saying...I mean at just initial thought...VERY stupid idea to remove the rear brake entirely. Also for the record, I don't consider myself to be a squid so this thread was not posturing in such manner.

I called one of my trusted shops to get their feedback about doing this, and the tech had told me that he has heard of a number guys removing the rear brake. Not that this gives me a direct consensus nor the, "Hey I'll jump off the bridge too," notion, but I just needed to bounce my "sanity" off someone to see if my thinking was completely out of line.

However, I never gave the tech check a thought...even though this bike will maybe see the track 2-3 times throughout the duration that I own it (I'll be looking for a track bike this Summer), the fact that having the rear brake gone will not let me on the track...plus, I mean...come on...I really need it for secondary safety factor.

The new reservoir is in my possession, and I'll put her back together this weekend.

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Definitely not something I would ever consider. I use it to help stabilise riding slowly, and most times use front / little rear when stopping.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I definitely hear what all of you guys are saying...I mean at just initial thought...VERY stupid idea to remove the rear brake entirely. Also for the record, I don't consider myself to be a squid so this thread was not posturing in such manner.

I called one of my trusted shops to get their feedback about doing this, and the tech had told me that he has heard of a number guys removing the rear brake. Not that this gives me a direct consensus nor the, "Hey I'll jump off the bridge too," notion, but I just needed to bounce my "sanity" off someone to see if my thinking was completely out of line.

However, I never gave the tech check a thought...even though this bike will maybe see the track 2-3 times throughout the duration that I own it (I'll be looking for a track bike this Summer), the fact that having the rear brake gone will not let me on the track...plus, I mean...come on...I really need it for secondary safety factor.

The new reservoir is in my possession, and I'll put her back together this weekend.

Thanks for the input guys.
I don't think most squids consider themselves squids. That being said you should probably reevaluate your squid status.

Also you should probably reevaluate who you consider trusted. If a tech at a shop is telling you that it's cool to do and he takes them off for people all the time. He either 1 doesn't like you because he knows you're a squid. or 2 is mildly retarded and shouldn't be trusted to work on someone's motorcycle

·
Registered
81 Posts
Good to hear you decided to keep that brake on but be careful who's suggestions you consider in the future. Taking off part of your braking system just does not sound like a good idea no matter what application you're using your bike for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not change your pads, but remove the caliper and all?

I had been contemplating doing this for a long time now. I NEVER use my rear brake on the street or the track. I like to consider myself to be very proficient with it...and good initial hard biting pad and I'm in heaven...

So...today I finally took it off. I had a leak coming from the rear reservoir so no perfect time then now to just do it.

Good idea? Bad idea?

As I mentioned, I never use and I am 100% comfortable with using only the front.
:iamwith: Serioulsly?! Wow.

·
Registered
966 Posts
In 10yrs of riding, I've never heard of this. 2yrs as a service writer for honda, yamaha, suzuki and I've never heard of it. I don't get it. I've never once used the start/stop switch yet I have no intention of removing it. It just doesn't make sence. You should be using it for long slow stops to save your sweet front pads anyways.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You might save 8 pounds at most? That is the only positive I can see out of this. If racers were allowed to, I think they would do it for the weight savings alone (we all know race bikes are perfect and never have issues!).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts