Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truth be told, it's been a while since i've had a ride. I'm mid 30's now, married with a 5 year old son. I'm finding hair growing in wierd places..etc. Sometimes I wake up and that that Talking Heads song is in my head. Ya know "this is not my house" "this is not my beautiful wife" blah blah. Anyway, ever since I put my deposit down on an 07 I've been asking myself at times if I've really grown up. I know the answer to that. If riding is a thrill I need is that so wrong? I hate feeling guilty (I'm asian) Sometimes I feel like my 5 year old son is more mature than I am. So the question is, where's the compromise? Maybe if i buy a mutual fund in the same amount as my bike I'll feel better? Anyone have thoughts on this?

·
Registered
14,358 Posts
I quit riding for a few years, and now I'm back in it full swing. I have a few years on you so ride hard and feel good.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I quit riding 2000 to 2006, terrible mistake too. I didn't realize that giving up the most important hobby to me would leave me feeling empty and always wondering what the hell I am missing. It's not a mid-life crisis, it's merely part of being a guy. We love bikes when we a kids and never out grow it. It's not an issue of maturity. Although, it is important to be a responsible, mature rider. Life IS about living and some of us can "ride a thrill" all the way to the end! I'm not happy unless I'm going mach one with my hair on fire! I'm almost 35 and this is not my mid-life crisis.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm 32. Gettin more toys everyday.
I don't know if your post is the full equation of factors or not, but I can tell you I am far worse off than where you are. Keep riding, and be just be safe. Your kid and wife need you. And along with you they need your enthusiasm for life and the pursuit of happiness, pass your knowledge and love of riding on.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
who knew that there were so many eloquent writers out there eh? Thanks. I guess you have to be on the right forum. You all are absolutely right, sometimes I just question my own motives. Too bad you guys live so far away, I smell a tour coming on.

·
Registered
796 Posts
It was odd b/c recently at Chick-Fil-A, I was approached by an older man asking about my bike. He was also talking about purchasing a sport bike but him and his g/f thought he was past that stage. I just told him, "You are never too old to have fun", and he responded, "You know what, your right."

That's my outlook on life.

Good luck and ride safe.

·
I Am a Ticket Magnet
1,879 Posts
you question your own motives... the only way i can see it as being wrong is if you were doing it to make your family mad or something to that extent. you have to do what makes you happy

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Once this gets into your system,it never leaves........and there's nothing wrong with that so long as you put your family first over toys.

43 here and I believe I have the most miles on a RR here on the board.

·
Super Mod Wanna-be
3,168 Posts
Dooley said:
It was odd b/c recently at Chick-Fil-A, I was approached by an older man asking about my bike. He was also talking about purchasing a sport bike but him and his g/f thought he was past that stage. I just told him, "You are never too old to have fun", and he responded, "You know what, your right."

Good luck and ride safe.
If you can't walk without breaking your hip I'm pretty sure you are too old.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Dooley said:

Good luck and ride safe.
A 92 year old man with a cane past by me while I was taking a rest along side of my bike in a lot. He stopped and said, "I bet that bike is fast!" Then I told him how fun it is but I realize it is important to respect the bike too and it can bite back if treated improperly. He then told me I need to watch out for crazy car drivers! LOL The 92 year old man was on my side when it comes to motorcycle v's cager arguement. He said he's past his days of riding but sure would love to. I want to be the guy at 92 that will tell you, "I did it and I may be too old now....but son I did it all in my day!!"

·
Registered
167 Posts
its great stress relief it lets you get away from the daily grind. on a bike all you hear is the motor and your all by yourself testing your abilities and enjoying life.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Buy the bike, ride responsibly, have fun, & you will be a better father & husband.
Why? Because you will still be enjoying life.

Don't wait till you're 52 to restart riding like I did.
(I quit when we started our family)
I missed so much good riding time.

·
I Am a Ticket Magnet
1,879 Posts
how funny would it be to see that 92 year old man come past you on a sport bike... that would be great... i hope i can do that someday.....lol

·
Registered
659 Posts
mugencbr said:
Truth be told, it's been a while since i've had a ride. I'm mid 30's now, married with a 5 year old son. I'm finding hair growing in wierd places..etc. Sometimes I wake up and that that Talking Heads song is in my head. Ya know "this is not my house" "this is not my beautiful wife" blah blah. Anyway, ever since I put my deposit down on an 07 I've been asking myself at times if I've really grown up. I know the answer to that. If riding is a thrill I need is that so wrong? I hate feeling guilty (I'm asian) Sometimes I feel like my 5 year old son is more mature than I am. So the question is, where's the compromise? Maybe if i buy a mutual fund in the same amount as my bike I'll feel better? Anyone have thoughts on this?
Is your feeling of guilt, due to spending money solely on yourself and not your family?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Your guilt fades fast when you are riding. I felt guilty after I bought mine too. As long as your family has what it needs, ride on.

·
Registered
888 Posts
41 here and my kids think i'm the coolest dad on the block.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts