Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to The Forum circuit, I have a 2005 RR and i am having trouble keeping a charge on the battery, If you pull the positive cable off when the bike is running it dies, what do i need to do?:banghead: Is it the battery, or is it the bikes charging system?

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
That is normal will happen on cars to why are you pulling the + cable off the battery ?

·
Super Moderator
6,497 Posts
Actually Moe, based on my experiences with cages, if you were to disconnect the both the positive and negative the alternator should keep the vehicle running. That is if that system is good.

Check to see if there is a date code on the battery, if its older than a couple years it might have bad cells/acid.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You can use a multi meter and put a probe on the negative post and on the frame and check for voltage leaking to ground.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
should be for the most part.

But did you leave your battery sitting for any amount of time? THey can be toast if you left it sitting uncharged for over one month. They can become weak after sitting for 3 months. Sometimes a good charger, a desulfating model can bring some batteries back, but some batteries, are pressureized gas recombination type, and if left along the pressureized gasses can find their way out over time and lead to battery problems.

If your battery is not sealed you could maybe have someone carefully crack it upen and test the acid or put more in there.

They have our batteries on ebay for @30 shipped, not OEM quality but close enough for the price. Good luck!

·
Registered
500 Posts
should be for the most part.

But did you leave your battery sitting for any amount of time? THey can be toast if you left it sitting uncharged for over one month. They can become weak after sitting for 3 months. Sometimes a good charger, a desulfating model can bring some batteries back, but some batteries, are pressureized gas recombination type, and if left along the pressureized gasses can find their way out over time and lead to battery problems.

If your battery is not sealed you could maybe have someone carefully crack it upen and test the acid or put more in there.

They have our batteries on ebay for @30 shipped, not OEM quality but close enough for the price. Good luck!
'05 should be a sealed battery. My '06 is. And 05 = 06 mechanically.

Wow 3 months out of a motorcycle battery? That sounds like a mechancical wet dream, as small as these batteries are. Mine is on a Tender 6 nights out of the week, if not 7. Not cause it has to be, but because that's how I am.

I don't understand why you are pulling the battery terminal off while the bike is running. From what I understand, the charging systems on bikes are quite weak. Something like .6 amps @ 5,000 RPM. Which means at idle the alternator isn't generating a damn with of any current, so your bike is probably still relying somewhat on the battery to run a lot of the electrical componetry. Further more, I just checked my shop manual, and there is a large warning saying NOT to disconnect the battery while the ignition is turned on, as you run the risk of damaging electrical components. Since your engine is running, the ignition is obviously on. So stop doing that. :spank:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts