Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This started just a couple days ago... When the bike is warming up it usually idles at about 1200 to 1500 rpm's. But as soon as i give it some throttle the idle jumps up to 2000 rpm's and it will stay there the whole time the bike is on, even after riding it. It will not go back down to normal until the bike has been shut off and cooled down a little. And while i am riding the bike, when ever i am shifting up, the rpms jump as if im not releasing the throttle while shifting.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
as far as the temprature..... it just climbs a lot faster than it normally does. plus i have check the throttle cables. unless i am missing something. where could it be getting caught?

G

·
There could just be too little slack in the lines. Try rotating the throttle fully closed and see if the RPM's go back down.

Are any FI codes flashing?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
that seriously went over my head.. im a computer programmer so as soon as you said fi code i immediatly thought html codes hahaha. but the fi light was the first thing i looked at wen the bike started acting up. but the light isnt flashing

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just noticed something while riding my bike today... while im riding and i give it just a quick jolt of the throttle, i noticed that the rpm needle bounces before settling back down... is this apart of the problem or is it just the nature of the bike? any clues? thanks

G

·
It could be. It still sounds like tight throttle cables to me. With no error codes flashing, that can really be the only thing, unless the butterflys are not fully closing.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Check the throttle cables. start the bike and let it idle then turn the bars all the way right and left. If there is any change in RPM while doing this, it's your cables. Try that and let us know.

What year is your bike?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tried turning the handle bars.. but it doesnt effect anything. everything is still the same. doesnt seem like its the throttle cables. i dont know i could be wrong. this bike is startin to tick me off. i cant figure out what it is. i dont want to take it into the shop and get raped in prices. i cant do it myself because i dont have a heated garage and i dont have the proper tools to tink with the bike.. AHHHHH!

oh yeah... i forgot.. my bike is an 07

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
07 doesn't have an idle adjust and if you were low on coolant, it would consistantly run fast.

I'm gonna guess (wild guess) a vaccum leak. I have an "07 manual at home, I'll try to look at is this weekend and see what is says about a high idle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if i was low on coolant, you said that it would constantly run fast... even after driving for awhile the idle still stays on 2000rpm. could that be it. is that what you are talking about? consistantly running at 2 grand?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Yes but it would also start up and run fast too. I started mine w/o coolant (was only going to run it for a minute) and it ran like 3k and wouldn't slow down. ( I just rebuilt my motor and wanted to hear it run before putting everything back tegether) Added coolant, and everything was fine.

Manual says for a high idle with no lights blinking:

Diagnosis procedure
- Check idle speed ( don't know what that means you can't adj the idle on an '07)
- Check throttle operation and freeplay
- Check the IACV

Also check for
- IACV stuck open
- Faulty ignition system
- Intake air leak
- Engine top end problem
- Air cleaner condition

I guess I'd check the IACV, that's what physically makes your bike idle faster or slower.

Let me scan the pages about it and post them in a minute or whenever I figure out how to put in images

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry its been awhile since i last posted something here. just to update you guys, i finally said screw it and decided to take the bike apart myself to check the IACV. and thats exactly what it was, so i just went and got a new one and i also changed the spark plugs and now the bike runs fine. Thank you guys for the help and the advice, it helped a lot. Especially dcope17, ur manual helped big time.

By the way, where did you find that manual. i would like to get a hold of one of those.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.