Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so we just pulled out of Hawaii after being there for 3 days. I couldn't believe how many idiots were there. I probably saw somewhere around 50+ motorcycles and mopeds over my stay and could count on one hand how many had at least a helmet on. This one idiot I saw driving by on a moped had his son on the back. His son couldn't of been more than 10 yrs old. His son was wearing a t shirt, shorts and some sandles. What a selfish SOB. I tried to get a pic to post of another idiot I saw driving on the freeway with shorts and a tanktop with no helmet but he was going to fast so I didn't get my camera out in time. Too many squids in Hawaii to list. Anyway just thought I would share this with you all. Ride safe everyone.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
yeah, i know... there's a "no helmet" law here, so people "exercise thier right". crazy isn't it!?!?! considering how bad the drivers are here, i would never go with out gear!!

hope you enjoyed your stay here...

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
oh yeah, i can try to het some pics of these super-squids for you if you really want them... they're out ALL OF THE TIME!

board shorts, tank tops, and flip-flops...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
What can you do about squids? Guess they'll have to learn their lessons the hard way. Assuming they're even still alive afterwards to have learned from it, and will be able to ride again. I used to preach helmets and etc. to everyone I talked to. Guess how many listen? None. Now I just mention it. "You got a helmet? I'd get one if I were you."

·
Woman Can Handle A LOT of Beef
2,009 Posts
Yeah, Hawaii is FULL of idiots. Lots of "Joe Cools" too that have no clue how to ride a motorcycle and don't like following group riding rules when you take em out. My buddy Matt and I are CONSTANTLY tellin people to put a lid on (cause it does so much good protecting your rear blinker, right?). They're causing a lot of crack downs by local authorities, as well. You should see some of the bigger "riding groups" out here, talk about squids. Part of it (I'm sure) is the large military presence on the island. Surprisingly, for an island packed with motorcycles there's always a fairly small attendance at our track days out here.

P.S. - Where are you stationed Nate? When I get back around the holidays we'll have to go ride...

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
senedane, i'm out at schofield. i've only got about 7 weeks left on island and then i go to texas. hope we can link-up and go for a spin around the big track that we have here... heh heh heh

·
2,009 Posts
Well, I'm stuck in Japan until around Nov, so that won't work. ;-) I'll be in Cali next summer tho (for good..), so we'll hit it up. You work on the helos out there, per chance? (Jannelle Erickson ring a bell?)

·
S VEEEEEEEEEEEEE Thrasher
2,160 Posts
being that most of you get to travel due to being in the military, I have always been in Cali. My friend lives in Hawaii though and mentions the crazyness of the "no helmet rule" to me all the time. when i laid my bike down at 40mph.... there is no way in HELL i would have made it alive with out a helmet. i would not have been able to get up and say OUCH!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yup we have a no helmet law here in Idaho. and many a squids to go with it.

·
2,009 Posts
Haha.. yup, that looks familiar. Funny thing is I know about a half dozen of those guys.

·
Registered
328 Posts
senedane said:
Haha.. yup, that looks familiar. Funny thing is I know about a half dozen of those guys.
so guys dont have accidents down there or something.
cause i tell you once you seen a bad accident or someone go down you will think twice b4 you leave the house without your gear.

·
2,009 Posts
You'd think so, but not so much... It's really frustrating, actually; The weather is warm and humid year round, so people don't like wearing jackets and helmets. I know I sweat my ass off in a mesh jacket and helmet in the afternoon, but it's one of those pains in the arse hole that's worth doing, obviously. I REALLY wish Hawaii would implement a helmet law, however. It's a great "keep an honest man honest" policy. I'd be lying if I said I've never ridden in Hawaii without a helmet (I've done it three times now, in fact.. Of course, it was for the toys for totts ride each year when you're crawling with a thousand other bikes.. but still...). In other words, I know a lot of people that ride without helmets from time to time that wouldn't be offended by a law regarding them; It would make the decision between comfort and safety easier for them.

·
Registered
328 Posts
man you dont have to tell me about the weather. i am in texas where it can be about 89* at 2am. but i still rather sweat in my leather jacket and boots and bleed. saw a accident in which a guy would still be here if he would have wore his lid.

now i feel you on not wereing gear if you are in a packed inviroment (event rides where it is very controled and a nice slow pace compared to hitting the twisties or freeways) i to have done it but i feel uncomfortable on my bike like the first time i got on it.

·
2,009 Posts
Yeah, I feel nervious without a lid, even if I'm not moving. The fear of other driver's stupidity is oft times overwhelming ;-)

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
haha!! i know a couple of those guys in the pics, too!! surprising to see so many of them in helmets...

senedane, i work in the medical field, i know a few people that work with helo's, but that name doesn't ring a bell.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts