Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After changing my thermostat my bike is still overheating and I can see and feel sticky water vapour when I hold my hand up to the tail pipe on startup. The water temp is getting up to 230F+ if I ride really slowly so I am pretty confident its time to change the gasket.

There isn't any visible signs of coffee colored oil in the site glass but I am also running Evans waterless coolant so it may not be visible. When I start the bike from cold with the rad cap off within just a few minutes coolant starts to overflow out of the rad and onto the floor which to me would suggest that my head is pressurizing my cooling system.

1. Do I need to pull the motor out of the bike to replace the head gasket? Or can I keep the motor in the bike?

2. What else should I consider when looking at signs of over heating on the head?

3. Is there a step-by-step tutorial anywhere on removing the head on a 600rr you can point me too?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the head off last night it seems pretty straight. I didn't see any warpage when testing it with a straight edge. I don't exactly see where the head gasket was leaking, but it was a pretty small leak from the compression stroke into the coolant system.

IMG_8035.jpg
IMG_8036.jpg
IMG_8037.jpg
IMG_8038-1.jpg
head_gasket_areas_of_failure.jpg
I include this image which shows different kinds of head gasket leaks and causes.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Pretty straight forward from here. Clean all of the surfaces really well, don't use a steel brush or razor blade if you can avoid it. Lint free rags in all of the openings to keep debree out. I would use a brass wire brush as you will be less likely to scratch the surfaces. As long as you're in there I would clean of all the carbon deposits also. You might want to put the straight edge on it again after you've cleaned everything off, you could be getting a false reading. Check the cam chain guides and replace if needed. Use a good quality gasket, preferably OEM, place sealant where the manual calls for it. Don't skimp out on this or you will be right back where you started, or worse. Follow the torquing order for the head bolts. Again, as long as your in there you might as well check your valve clearances. I'm guessing if you are this far down into your motor then you are fairly confident in your abilities. Everything I posted is going to be for the most part common sense, but it doesn't hurt to put it out there anyways.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts